I am ashamed and disgusted (AW)

Old August 15th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default I am ashamed and disgusted (AW)

"Magic Mood Jeep ©" wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep ©" wrote in message
To be called a Hoosier!

I'm not going to the web site.

But attention to a situation can be good. The next town over from
us had a perfectly horrid animal shelter. Never got any money in
the budget, etc.

About the only way to get your dog or cat out if they got it was to
break in. Only risk of that was running into someone else who was
doing the same thing at the same time.

But the courts can come in handy when things get really bad, and
the voters can't always be counted on.

I'm not sure who sued who, but sue they did. And were awarded a
lovely new animal control facility with a reasonable guaranteed
budget.

Jo

The bad thing is, one county (!!!!) to the west of us (25~ miles!)
has NO animal control at all, the local shelter is all volunteer and
calls themselves the the Owen County Humane Society - shuts down
every two years for lack of funds... (27 counties in Indiana have no
Animal Control or shelter at all). And they're located right next
to a major river, and have been flooded more than once...

Its been a while and I'm only going by what I remember from the
newspaper. (and the local paper isn't exactly known for accuracy)

But as best I recall, the suit was against many of the rural counties
in California for failing to provide adequate animal control, and the
basis was in that the counties did get money from the state for
various expenses. And that while the use of those funds might be
somewhat discretionary, it wasn't THAT discretionary.

Kind of a carryover from the lawsuits fifteen years prior that got
some of the rural jails shut down and replaced with something that
couldn't be used to film a depression era movie.

Basically they used the blueprint from human rights groups that sued
for betters jails to sue for better animal detention facilities.

Once the shelter was upgraded from the sort of hell hole no one could
stomach getting near, it was possible to get volunteer help, etc to
improve the whole operation.

Jo

Old August 15th 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:
To be called a Hoosier!

Changes Ordered At Shelter Amid Allegations Of Abuse
Animal Rights Group Claim Conditions Unlivable At Indy Shelter

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/17188060/detail.html

One thing I don't understand is this quote:

"I don't know any employee that I've met or know of that would knowingly
allow these cruel conditions that are alleged to exist," Newman said.

How could these employees NOT know the conditions where they work?

Jill

Old August 17th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=`

Default About Time to Edit Topic to Indy News for Jeep from Hops

"hopitus"
Matt is not kidding about the cold-hearted 'tude where he lives now in
FL toward cats and their would-be sheltering hoomins. IN is not the
only state hurting for $ to maintain shelters, etc. I have to say one thing
about my less-than-loved-by-me present digs....lots and lots of rich folks
locally not only contribute $ to animal shelters/adoption centers, but they
get off their wealthy duffs and actually fill in and *work* when frequent
adoption days for homeless cats are held here! Denver Dumb Friends League is
one of the most outspoken, active cat-friendly units - a powerful
unit, BTW, no one locally messes with those chicks (psst- it is rumored even
Mr.
Shanahan is a silent benefactor to DDFL!) not even the so-called mayor
of MileHigh, LOL. FL, sadly, is also hurting for funds, but Marti
Huizenga, wife of former Dolphins owner, Wayne, comes through for the county
in
which I lived before moving here....she *built* literally with her $ -
the Broward County Humane Society shelter. Lose the guilt, please.
We do what we can. I have the limit (3 cats) imposed by my city of
residence...

I remember the DDFL from when I lived there. That's where we got our dogs
when I was growing up there. They are a wonderful organization, and bravo
for the rich folks who donate time and money for the cause. Bravo for
Marti Huizenga
Yes, we do what we can. Our trailer is broken in a lot of places and we
have one over the limit of 3 cats imposed by my city of residence, and live
on disability.
Life can be so rough sometimes.
Kyla

Old August 17th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=`

bastXXXette
Magic Mood Jeep ?
To be called a Hoosier!

Changes Ordered At Shelter Amid Allegations Of Abuse
Animal Rights Group Claim Conditions Unlivable At Indy Shelter

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/17188060/detail.html

Indiana has no lock on mismanagement, incompetence or animal cruelty.
Sadly, this could happen anywhere.

And, sadly, it happens all over
I couldn't open the link.

Kyla

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 17th 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=`

Default to Yowie I am ashamed and disgusted (AW)

Dumb question: what is a Hoosier anyway?

Someone who lives in Indiana

So sad that an animla shelter can't even keep its own rules.

Yes, it is very sad indeed

Kyla

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

I love this..it made me LOL

Old August 17th 08, 10:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie[_2_]

Kyla =^..^=` wrote:
Dumb question: what is a Hoosier anyway?

Someone who lives in Indiana

Why are they called Hoosiers?

Yowie
Old August 17th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Yowie wrote:
Kyla =^..^=` wrote:
Dumb question: what is a Hoosier anyway?

Someone who lives in Indiana

Why are they called Hoosiers?

Apparently, no one knows for sure. I read a book this summer called Made
in America by Bill Bryson. This was one of the words he discussed, but
he said the etymology is uncertain. I don't trust what he says
completely, because there were other things in the book (it's about how
American English developed in a diferent direction than British English)
that I know are incorrect, but in this case he seems to be right.

Old August 17th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Yowie wrote:
Kyla =^..^=` wrote:
Dumb question: what is a Hoosier anyway?

Someone who lives in Indiana

Why are they called Hoosiers?

Yowie

I've always wondered why they were called that, too.

kili

Old August 17th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Marina" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:
Kyla =^..^=` wrote:
Dumb question: what is a Hoosier anyway?

Someone who lives in Indiana

Why are they called Hoosiers?

Apparently, no one knows for sure. I read a book this summer called
Made in America by Bill Bryson. This was one of the words he
discussed, but he said the etymology is uncertain. I don't trust
what he says completely, because there were other things in the book
(it's about how American English developed in a diferent direction
than British English) that I know are incorrect, but in this case he
seems to be right.

I always get kind of a kick about you knowing far more about my
language than I do. And my vocabulary isn't all that bad.

I have always wished I had the skills to learn other languages. I've
got about enough French to get by with stuff that is thrown into TV
and novels, and enough Spanish to eavesdrop on friends and to not
starve or get too thirsty in Mexico and that's about it.

Jo

Old August 17th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On 2008-08-17, Yowie wrote:

Why are they called Hoosiers?

The short answer is that noone knows for certain, but there are plenty of
theories. Indianans have been called Hoosiers about as long as there have
been Indianans.

Bud

Another bad Meowmy, I'm so ashamed! Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 3 October 25th 05 01:07 PM
I am so disgusted! badwilson Cat anecdotes 24 August 11th 05 12:41 AM
Disgusted! CatNipped Cat health & behaviour 60 February 22nd 05 01:00 AM
Disgusted! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 26 February 19th 05 07:33 PM
I'm so ashamed but I gotta ask GraceCat Cat anecdotes 1 January 27th 04 10:13 PM