OT sort of A story to make you smile

Old September 18th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default OT sort of A story to make you smile

http://www.local6.com/family/1749287...709172008&ts=H

http://tinyurl.com/4wxlpv

Mayor Helps Homeless Man Reunite With Dog
Man Begged Using Jailed Dog's Bowl

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Just recently, James Clark could be seen outside of
stores with his dog's bowl pleading for money to get his best friend, Cosmo,
out of a shelter.
Clark, who is homeless, was saving the money he normally would use to eat to
reunite with his dog and best friend.
Cosmo was placed into a city animal shelter when Clark was arrested for
using public transit without paying
I had light-rail warrants, you know," Clark said. "I got out in less than 24
hours just getting some warrants cleared and he's stuck in there (shelter)
.... almost a week."
Clark, worried he needed to raise more than $130 to get Cosmo out, said he
missed the dog's companionship.
"If somebody walks by your dog, (it) lets you know who you can trust and who
you can't," Clark said.
Then Clark got help from an unlikely source.
Mayor Heather Fargo -- an admitted animal lover -- heard Clark's story and
sympathized.
"Especially if you're homeless, having your pet that's your best friend,"
Fargo said. "That's the animal that is there with you, and there's a lot of
comfort in that."
The mayor called animal control, which placed a hold on Cosmo, which meant
he wouldn't be given away or euthanized.
Animal authorities said they would be flexible with Clark's situation.
"We will somehow work things out with him," said Pete Alarcon of city animal
control. "Like I said, our No. 1 goal is to reunite the pets with their
owners."
After Clark agreed to have Cosmo neutered, the city dropped the bill to $60.
Clark said he was relieved.
"I know I don't have to worry (about) him being adopted. I know he's going
to come back," he said.
Clark and Cosmo have since been reunited.

Old September 18th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
[...]

Thanks for posting this. That poor man must have been devastated. I love
happy endings!

Joy

Old September 18th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Matthew wrote:
[...]

Great story, Matthew, and you're right. I did make me smile. :~)

kili

Old September 18th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Judith Latham wrote:
In article m,
Matthew wrote:
[...]

This restores my faith inhumanity. A lovely story.

Yes, it's very heartwarming. But I wonder what else that mayor is doing to
help the homeless situation in her city? We send millions of dollars
overseas to help poor starving people but we can't feed our own? It's
ridiculous. Don't get me started.

Jill

Old September 18th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"kilikini" wrote in message
om...

Great story, Matthew, and you're right. I did make me smile. :~)

kili

YAY!!!! I've been worried about you. How are you doing and how are your
owners?

Pam S. hijacking a thread even though she shouldn't

Old September 19th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

Matthew :
[...]

Thank you Matthew for posting that wonderfully touching story.
It also restores my faith in humanity.
I feel bad that James Clark and his beloved Cosmo are homeless

Hug
Kyla

Old September 19th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message

Yes, it's very heartwarming. But I wonder what else that mayor is
doing to help the homeless situation in her city? We send millions
of dollars overseas to help poor starving people but we can't feed
our own? It's ridiculous. Don't get me started.

Jill

Jill, the current mayor of Sacramento (in this story) has really done
a great deal to help the homeless community.

Really, if someone has to be homeless (and some people do. there are
a great many varied reasons why people are homeless. some beyond
help) the central valley of California is a pretty decent place to do
it.

But I suspect you are feeling bad and out of sorts in general. And
with good reason. Probably more like with many good reasons.

So I'd like to offer some extra purrs and hugs and some decent luck
and decent weather to go with them.

Jo

Old September 20th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article ,
Jofirey wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

As you say Jo there are all sorts of reasons why someone becomes
homeless.
As shown in the story below.

In a nearby city, Wolverhampton, there was an old man who was living
on a
traffic Island. (I think he'd hitched his makeshift tent on that
piece of
land and stayed there as it became a large traffic Island.) He'd
been
there about 30 years and residents knew him from seeing him about
the
city. He was offered help by social services but wouldn't accept it.
Meals
were taken to him as he got older by local people. He wouldn't claim
all
the benefits to which he was due. He was polish and had come over
during
WW2 when he had fought on the side of the allies. No one knew how he
had
come into his situation. He was eccentric but was part of the city.
He was
never moved on by the authorities. Last year he died. His sister
was
traced in poland and the benefits he had been due but hadn't claimed
were
I think sent to her. He had a proper funeral, people stopped and
watched
in respect as the hearse passed. The local newspaper ran articles
about
him. He was a strange sort of citizen of Wolverhampton but one who
is
missed.

Many towns have their local 'eccentrics'.

Ours is a nice but very nervous guy who rides his bike around in all
sorts of weather.

He cannot stand to be inside. Anywhere or anytime. All the social
service groups are familiar with him and his phobias and make a point
of seeing to it that he gets as much help as he will tolerate.

Jo

Old September 20th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Sep 19, 1:50*pm, Judith Latham wrote:

As you say Jo there are all sorts of reasons why someone becomes homeless..
As shown in the story below.

Lovely story

When I was a kid- there was a guy who used to turn up in Romford
market several times a week with his dog and he would sit there with
some paving slabs covered with chalk drawings (Good ones as well) and
his hat on the floor for donations. At the end of the day he loaded
his paving slabs and his dog (A Jack Russell I think) into a pram and
went to a tent he had about ten miles away. The market traders (back
when Romford wasn't covered in a ghastly mall) brought him hot drinks
and food and even got social services called in but he refused all
attempts to find him a home saying he was happy as he was. We all knew
him as the "market tramp" but no-one was nasty about him- I have a
vague memory of my mum (One of the hardest least sympathetic people
you can imagine) giving me a shilling (Yes I predate decimalisation!)
to give him. He very poltely thanked me and gave me a kiss (and these
days that would get him on the sex offenders register!).

When I was about 10-11 he was found dead in his tent in the middle of
a cold winter (I seem to recall his dog died a few weeks before). When
the authorities took the tent down and removed the slabs from his pram
they found a couple of thousand pounds in cash and a note saying he
had never taken more money than he needed from his collections so he
could leave "something" for homeless and unloved dogs- I believe it
went to a local dog rescue

It's amazing what this site makes you recalls

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

OT Need a smile Granby Cat anecdotes 41 May 21st 08 02:08 AM
Let Us All Have A Smile :) yepp Cat anecdotes 7 April 30th 05 08:06 PM
Cause to Smile (OT) jmcquown Cat anecdotes 6 March 3rd 05 08:14 AM