Omega 3 oil for crf cat

Old April 21st 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

Default Omega 3 oil for crf cat

Has anyone with cats with kidney disease tried omega 3 oils? in particular,
"Astro Oil"? The food I use for my crf cat has omega 3's in it but I am
wondering if I should be giving her more than what's in her food.

Thanks,

Riannon

Old April 22nd 08, 11:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Riannon via CatKB.com" u42022@uwe wrote in message
Has anyone with cats with kidney disease tried omega 3 oils?

I give all my cats omega-3 supplements. I've been giving omega-3s along with
a potassium supplement to my 23 and 15 y/o CRF cats for 5 yrs. Their
BUN/Cr. have not only remained stable but have actually improved to just a
tad above the normal range. Their USG have also improved. I wholeheartedly
recommend n-3s for all cats and n-3s along with a potassium supplement for
all cats over 8 or 9. I'm convinced n-3s with a potassium supplement delays
the onset of CRF.

in particular,
"Astro Oil"?

I highly recommend DVM Pharmaceutical's 3V Free Form Liquid Omega-3s. The
bioavailability of free form n-3s is much higher because they're absorbed
without metabolism-- IOW, they don't require breakdown by pancreatic
enzymes. 3Vs are also balanced with vitamin E to prevent oxidation.

The food I use for my crf cat has omega 3's in it but I am
wondering if I should be giving her more than what's in her food.

A 5-10 cat should get ~160 mg of EPA and ~104 mg of DHA.

Phil

Old April 23rd 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

Phil P. wrote:
I give all my cats omega-3 supplements. I've been giving omega-3s along with
a potassium supplement to my 23 and 15 y/o CRF cats for 5 yrs. Their

23? Wow. That's great. I can only hope mine make it to that age - have a
15 yr old that's had crf for 6 years, a 15 1/2 yr old with very early signs
of crf and hyper-T, and a 9 1/2 yr old that I have yet to get a senior blood
panel for but should be doing soon (I'm dreading this as he suffers extreme
panic there and will bite; I don't see how they'll be able to draw his blood).

BUN/Cr. have not only remained stable but have actually improved to just a
tad above the normal range. Their USG have also improved. I wholeheartedly
recommend n-3s for all cats and n-3s along with a potassium supplement for
all cats over 8 or 9. I'm convinced n-3s with a potassium supplement delays

Very impressive. I will have to discuss potassium supplementation with my
vet again. I did once recently but she thought that her potassium was fine
(4) for the time being.

I highly recommend DVM Pharmaceutical's 3V Free Form Liquid Omega-3s. The
bioavailability of free form n-3s is much higher because they're absorbed
without metabolism-- IOW, they don't require breakdown by pancreatic

Will try and locate those.

A 5-10 cat should get ~160 mg of EPA and ~104 mg of DHA.

Thanks for the info.

Riannon

Old April 23rd 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

Riannon wrote:
I highly recommend DVM Pharmaceutical's 3V Free Form Liquid Omega-3s. The
bioavailability of free form n-3s is much higher because they're absorbed
without metabolism-- IOW, they don't require breakdown by pancreatic

Will try and locate those.

A 5-10 cat should get ~160 mg of EPA and ~104 mg of DHA.

Here's 2 quick links of sources for the 3V liquid form, you'll probably be
able to find others if necessary:
http://www.medi-vet.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=81 product # 10812
http://www.1800petmeds.com/3V+Caps-prod2841.html product # 2842

I'm in Canada & certain supplements can't be obtained here. I've ordered &
received whatever my cats have needed from US suppliers without any problems -
specifically Dermcaps liquid for one of my cats who has an allergic-skin
condition that breaks out over his eyes if he's not on this stuff. When this
was discontinued here, my vet suggested twice yearly steroid injections but
no thanks, the oil added to his food is far easier & no stress. Here's a
picture of this boy, Coco.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23904...50028271dkzBcX
Best of luck, M.

Old April 23rd 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

mariib wrote:
Here's 2 quick links of sources for the 3V liquid form, you'll probably be
able to find others if necessary:
http://www.medi-vet.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=81 product # 10812
http://www.1800petmeds.com/3V+Caps-prod2841.html product # 2842

Thanks very much.

was discontinued here, my vet suggested twice yearly steroid injections but

Yup, seems to be what they immediately suggest for skin problems. I don't
blame you for passing that up - I wouldn't want steroids injected into my
cats either.

picture of this boy, Coco.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23904...50028271dkzBcX

What a cutey!

Riannon

Old April 24th 08, 10:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Very impressive. I will have to discuss potassium supplementation with my
vet again. I did once recently but she thought that her potassium was

fine
(4) for the time being.

Old school thinking. 4 is too low. You want to keep the cat's serum
potassium levels in the upper half of the normal range so that the cat will
still be able to maintain normal serum potassium levels when the body stores
of potassium are low or when there is a shift in potassium from ECF to ICF.
There is no risk of hyperkalemia as long as the cat is urinating. Most CRF
cats are polyuric and don't become oliguric until the terminal stages.

Phil

Old April 25th 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

Phil P. wrote:
Old school thinking. 4 is too low. You want to keep the cat's serum
potassium levels in the upper half of the normal range so that the cat will
still be able to maintain normal serum potassium levels when the body stores
of potassium are low or when there is a shift in potassium from ECF to ICF.

Thanks Phil, I'll have to speak with her again. I've been hearing from
others too that their vets didn't recommend potassium supplementation for
their crf cats, even ones who have a lower number than mine. I wonder why so
many are not up to date on this. When I hear what other people are doing,
sometimes I feel like I'm not doing enough; all I do is give her kidney food.
One of the vets where I go had suggested Fortekor a few years ago and I
turned it down, thinking that my Missy would just be a guinea pig for it as I
thought it was too new on the market for cats. Now it'll probably turn out
that it works wonders or something and I'll have missed out on it as it's a
little late to try it now that her creatinine is over 5 (I've read it could
raise creatinine and should be started when it's lower than that). Sigh.

Riannon

Old April 25th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Phil P. wrote:
Old school thinking. 4 is too low. You want to keep the cat's serum
potassium levels in the upper half of the normal range so that the cat

will
still be able to maintain normal serum potassium levels when the body

stores
of potassium are low or when there is a shift in potassium from ECF to

ICF.

Thanks Phil, I'll have to speak with her again. I've been hearing from
others too that their vets didn't recommend potassium supplementation for
their crf cats, even ones who have a lower number than mine. I wonder why

so
many are not up to date on this.

Because there are more mediocre vets around than good ones.

Serum potassium levels are not a good indicator of total body potassium
stores because 98% of the total body stores of potassium are contained in
tissue- not the blood or serum. A cat can have normal or low-normal serum
potassium levels while the total body stores of potassium are low or
depleted. In fact body potassium depletion can occur well before the onset
of hypokalemia.

The principal of giving potassium supplements to renal cats is the same
reason potassium supplements are giving to patients reeceiving fluid
therapy. Fluid therapy produces urine rapidly. Rapid urine formation
promotes potassium excretion. Renal cats are polyuric and polydipsic which
also produces urine rapidly and promotes potassium excretion.

Phil