I am SO excited I have to share!

Old August 18th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default I am SO excited I have to share!

I'm sitting here in floods and floods of happy tears. I can't believe
I am sobbing my heart out over a small hissy, spitty feral.

RILEY IS EATING BABY FOOD OFF MY FINGERS!!! We had a very sudden
massive breakthrough today. I told him how safe he was, and that I
didn't care if he wanted to stay feral because he was in his forever
home regardless of what he decided to do, and it didn't matter because
he was a special boy and I'd give him all the time he needed to feel
safe.

Instead of hissing and spitting at me and then cowering in his bed and
wetting himself when I fed him, he moved towards his food and had the
courage to eat in front of me. This evening, despite a bit of a
tantrum, he agreed to take some baby food off my fingers. Later on in
the evening, he actually made to move towards me in
expectation of yummy baby food!! He's now giving only token hisses in
between licking the food from my fingers, because after all, he's a
"mean and tough kitty cat" and he needs to tell me that, but we're
making great strides.

I can't explain how overwhelmed and happy I am. I have also arranged
to sign his official adoption paperwork on Thursday, and I've told him
that too.

I had to share with people who understand, because if I were to
explain to others that I'm bawling my eyes out over a feral eating
baby food off my fingers, I think I'd be thought mad! (Not that I give
a stuff!)

Helen M

Old August 18th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=`[_2_]

[...]

Awwwwww, that is so good to hear...
Purrs that he continues to eat and bless your heart for
taking such good care of him
Love
Kyla
--hands you a tissue

Old August 19th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

There is something especially poignant and moving about a formerly
terrified and hostile animal deciding to take those first steps
of trust. When it involves actual physical contact, it can definitely
feel overwhelming.

Wonderful news!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 19th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

YAY!!!! Riley is smart, brave, and in the best hands I know to take care of
him. Keep up the good work Helen and please keep us informed about him and
the rest of your menagerie.

Pam S. top posting because this is too good to snip.

Old August 19th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote in message
[...]

Wow, Helen - that's a *MAJOR* break-through in a *VERY* short time. I guess
he can sense how much you love cats and how much you care about him.
Con-cat-ulations!! Bast bless your heart for giving that little lost soul a
home and your love!

Chin Skritches,

CatNipped

Old August 19th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

Great progress, Helen. Purrs for it to continue

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old August 19th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

Congrats, Helen. I have a feral, Bonnie, who has been here since 2003 and
she is what I'd consider a lifelong feral. I don't know how old she is but
I thought she was under a year when I took her in. But she hasn't grown in
size other than fatter since then, and she has some gray furs coming in her
totally black coat now so I think she's older than I thought. I still
cannot pick her up. Vet visits are hell on both of us. Medicating her is
impossible. But she is a love and I couldn't imagine leaving her to her
feral life if I hadn't trapped her.

Old August 19th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
[...]

Isn't it amazing what rough little tongues kittens have?

I mean I know full grown lions and tigers can literally lick flesh off
bones, but bitties can do darn near the same thing.

Jo