Can everybody SHUT UP about guns?

Old December 26th 12, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

Default Can everybody SHUT UP about guns?

This is a divisive issue over which all sides have strong opinions
that are not likely to change.

I value my friendships here regardless of whether we agree or not,
but this is a cat group, not the Monty Python Arguments Department
that it is turning into.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

--
Proof of sanity forged upon request
Old December 26th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Mark Edwards wrote:
This is a divisive issue over which all sides have strong opinions that
are not likely to change.

I value my friendships here regardless of whether we agree or not, but
this is a cat group, not the Monty Python Arguments Department that it is turning into.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

But I paid for a half hour argument.

--
Adrian
Old December 26th 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when Adrian wrote:
Mark Edwards wrote:
This is a divisive issue over which all sides have strong

opinions that
are not likely to change.

I value my friendships here regardless of whether we agree or

not, but
this is a cat group, not the Monty Python Arguments Department

that it is turning into.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

But I paid for a half hour argument.

No you didn't.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

--
Proof of sanity forged upon request
Old December 26th 12, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

Mark Edwards wrote:
This is a divisive issue over which all sides have strong

opinions that
are not likely to change.
I value my friendships here regardless of whether we agree or

not, but
this is a cat group, not the Monty Python Arguments Department

that it is turning into.
Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

But I paid for a half hour argument.

No you didn't.

I distinctly remembering Adrian paying for a parrot...

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old December 26th 12, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
Mark Edwards wrote:
This is a divisive issue over which all sides have strong opinions that
are not likely to change.

I value my friendships here regardless of whether we agree or not, but
this is a cat group, not the Monty Python Arguments Department that it is
turning into.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

But I paid for a half hour argument.

--
Adrian

g and I paid for a hour one.to argue about guns.

I have learnt that the gun culture in the USA is entrenched. "Kill as many
children as you want, we will still want our guns"
After we had such a tragedy we reviewed our gun laws and I see no evidence
of that yet in the USA

Old December 26th 12, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Mark Edwards wrote:

This is a divisive issue over which all sides have strong opinions
that are not likely to change.

I value my friendships here regardless of whether we agree or not,
but this is a cat group, not the Monty Python Arguments Department
that it is turning into.

I don't think the conversation has been bad. Sure we disagree about
it pretty strongly, but I didn't hear any nastiness in people's
arguments. I was kind of impressed by that, actually. A conversation
about gun ownership that didn't turn into a flame war? Unheard of!

--
Joyce

Old December 27th 12, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Mark Edwards wrote:

This is a divisive issue over which all sides have strong opinions
that are not likely to change.

I value my friendships here regardless of whether we agree or not,
but this is a cat group, not the Monty Python Arguments Department
that it is turning into.

I don't think the conversation has been bad. Sure we disagree about
it pretty strongly, but I didn't hear any nastiness in people's
arguments. I was kind of impressed by that, actually. A conversation
about gun ownership that didn't turn into a flame war? Unheard of!

--
Joyce

I think it's posslble to debate it without flaming. It's still my opinion
that handguns should be illegal. Like here.
I have no fear that if walked about the neighbourhood in the dark there
would not be anyone with a gun and because of that I don't need one myself.
because we are not alllowed to have one!
Yes we do have drug gangs in the local city that can get guns but nowhere
near me.
Last night my sis in law walked me home. Maisie her dog came along. mile
and half each way. My brother was supposed to but he added a couple or more
gins after his.wine and fell asleep. I never drink spirits after a bad
experience with vodka as a teenager.
It was nice to be able to walk though the streets at 12.30 am knowing we
were safe and not needing a gun.
We said "lets look at the windows and see who is still up and look at the
decorations"
I only insist on being accompanied home since I had a bad experience with a
drunk who had the idea he could fondle me and worse when I did it alone.
He drew me towards me by asking for help.
I kicked him in the goolies when he tried to grope me and ran.

Old December 27th 12, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
Mark Edwards wrote:
This is a divisive issue over which all sides have strong opinions that
are not likely to change.

I value my friendships here regardless of whether we agree or not, but
this is a cat group, not the Monty Python Arguments Department that it is
turning into.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

But I paid for a half hour argument.

--
Adrian

g and I paid for a hour one.to argue about guns.

I have learnt that the gun culture in the USA is entrenched. "Kill as many
children as you want, we will still want our guns"
After we had such a tragedy we reviewed our gun laws and I see no evidence
of that yet in the USA

That's an extreme over-simplification which omits entirely the history
of a country founded because of a war of independence - and, to it's
credit, one of the few with that history which achieved stability
without a century or more of alternating attempts at peace and
dictatorship. They did have one civil war, which in spite of its
appalling death toll, hardly compares to the struggles many countries -
especially those once ruled by another - have had. I really think
founding a country on a revolution makes it certain the country will be
a disaster zone for centuries - but the US beat the odds. The UK has had
a civil war and battles for sovereignty of various bits, but nothing
like the US history.

Really, if I were American supporter of the right to bear arms, I'd be
deeply insulted by the idea that I'm willing to pay for my gun with the
deaths of children.

As for the idea that your new gun laws in the UK will prevent further
murders of children - sorry, no. They won't. There won't be many of
them, but that's not because of your gun laws, it's because of your
culture. But sooner or later, someone will commit another mass murder.

If the various US states and their federal government started rushing
new laws on guns through, I'd be worried - laws done in a hurry in
response to panic generally have lots of terrible unintended consequences.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
Old December 27th 12, 10:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

I totally agree with Cheryl. It isn't the guns that kill people, it is the people that kill people. Gun control will only control the guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens - the outlaws will still have their illegal guns.. This whole issue on the school shooting is much more complicated than gun control. Now, if you are talking about outlawing assault weapons, then we have another story. And why would the mother of the shooter have had all of those guns in her house within easy reach of her troubled son, etc.

On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:46:30 PM UTC-5, Cheryl wrote:
On 26/12/2012 7:01 PM, Christina Websell wrote: "Adrian" This is a divisive issue over which all sides have strong opinions that are not likely to change. I value my friendships here regardless of whether we agree or not, but this is a cat group, not the Monty Python Arguments Department that it is turning into. Hugs and Purrs, Mark But I paid for a half hour argument. -- Adrian g and I paid for a hour one.to argue about guns. I have learnt that the gun culture in the USA is entrenched. "Kill as many children as you want, we will still want our guns" After we had such a tragedy we reviewed our gun laws and I see no evidence of that yet in the USA That's an extreme over-simplification which omits entirely the history of a country founded because of a war of independence - and, to it's credit, one of the few with that history which achieved stability without a century or more of alternating attempts at peace and dictatorship. They did have one civil war, which in spite of its appalling death toll, hardly compares to the struggles many countries - especially those once ruled by another - have had. I really think founding a country on a revolution makes it certain the country will be a disaster zone for centuries - but the US beat the odds. The UK has had a civil war and battles for sovereignty of various bits, but nothing like the US history. Really, if I were American supporter of the right to bear arms, I'd be deeply insulted by the idea that I'm willing to pay for my gun with the deaths of children. As for the idea that your new gun laws in the UK will prevent further murders of children - sorry, no. They won't. There won't be many of them, but that's not because of your gun laws, it's because of your culture. But sooner or later, someone will commit another mass murder. If the various US states and their federal government started rushing new laws on guns through, I'd be worried - laws done in a hurry in response to panic generally have lots of terrible unintended consequences. -- Cheryl Cheryl

Old December 27th 12, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Give it up, Mark. As you can see from the replies, folks just WILL NOT shut up about it. I've stopped reading any thread either here or FB that starts with or begins to include gun issues. Which means yours or Taks are about the only ones I read anymore .

Hope you, Senyah, and the kitties are warm and had a great Christmas!

--Eric, Kim and the CCR