problem with cats chewing wires

Old November 10th 04, 04:08 PM
myrtle tickner

Default problem with cats chewing wires

hi all! i have an annoying little problem with two of my cats that
seems to be getting worse with age. the problem is that they will chew
through any exposed wires in the house. at first it was just thicker
cords that were carelessly lying about, so i learned what to expect if
i left anything like that out and started being more careful. now i
notice that they're going out of their way to get to any wire of any
thickness they can... going behind components and under desks in
small, out-of-the-way spaces (oddly enough they somehow know *not* to
chew wires that are plugged in). normally, this wouldn't be much of a
problem, but i'm a musician who owns a small project studio, so i have
wires everywhere! aside from locking them out of my studio space
(which unfortunately is not an option and the problem goes beyond that
room anyway), does anyone have any advice as to what i can do to deter
if not completely put a stop to this?
Old November 10th 04, 05:04 PM
M. MacDonald

I needed to put some of that "Bitter Lemon" from the pet store on my wires
to get them to stop. Very messy though, but they got the message in a
couple of weeks. Needed to do the weights on the bottom of curtains after
that since they found something else to get into.

The beagle was another story. He would chew the wires out of the electric
blanket on the bed in 30 seconds or less. We replaced the electric blankets
3 times one winter. Finally gave up and bought a heated mattress pad. He
hasn't figured that one out......yet.

Mack