Cats vs Thunderstorms in Arlington

Old May 1st 04, 06:44 PM
Takayuki

Default Cats vs Thunderstorms in Arlington

Mark Edwards wrote:

Well, last night we certainly had some heavy storms!

About an hour before the storms, Buster wanted outside. I told him to
be sure and come back before the storms got here.

Amazingly, he did! A few minutes after the lightening started, and a
few minutes before the rain, he was at the door, and didn't need to be
coaxed inside.

I actually saw that storm on TV! Apparently, there was some sporting
event that was in a rain delay at the ballpark in Arlington, and the
news showed live clips of players and fans huddling in their seats,
waiting for the storm to pass while there were thunderstorms and huge
sheets of rain and hail were coming down!

Old May 2nd 04, 06:21 AM
Christine Burel

It amazes me how you can do this with the feral cats and not have any
fights! Glad they all had a truce going!
Christine
"Mark Edwards" wrote in message

Well, last night we certainly had some heavy storms!

About an hour before the storms, Buster wanted outside. I told him to
be sure and come back before the storms got here.

Amazingly, he did! A few minutes after the lightening started, and a
few minutes before the rain, he was at the door, and didn't need to be
coaxed inside.

Spot (he's the feral that had to be de-tailed because he lost a battle
with a car, a year or so ago) was lurking under a car in the parking
lot when I opened the back door. By then, the lightening, and
impressive thunder were showing up. Spot, ducking low to the ground,
ran to the door and completely ignored the fact that Little feet was
there.

Spot looked down the hallway and saw Buster. Spot hissed. So I took
Spot to the bed, where he smelled the other cats, and hissed again.
(heavy sigh).

So I took Spot to the back door, set him down, and opened the door. I
told him that he had to get along if he wanted to stay in during the
storm. Spot just scrunched down and pouted, telling me that he didn't
want to go out, and that I could just get rid of those other cats
instead (big grin).

So Spot settled down on the ratty blue couch by the back door. I told
him that he could stay there as long as he didn't pick any fights. In
fact, I told all three cats that no fights were allowed.

Well, I told Buster and Spot. Little Feet was nowhere to be found. I
looked all through the house, and still no Little Feet. I KNEW he
hadn't gone outside, because he was inside after I let Spot in.

We have a large bedspread that hangs to the floor. Senyah finally
spotted Little Feet, hiding against the bed, behind the bedspread.
Poor baby!

Finally, we all went to bed. I took Buster to the bed, to keep him
from wandering over and getting Spot excited. Apparently, Buster and
Spot don't like each other.

Spot and Little Feet get along, but I didn't want to risk Spot taking
out his worries on Little Feet. That turned out not to be a problem -
Little Feet couldn't be coaxed out from behind the bedspread, and Spot
decided the couch was a good bit better than the stormy outside (plus,
he had a big bowl of food a few feet away - grin).

The storms were heavy, with frequent flashes and boomings. We had ping
pong sized hail for about five minutes, that set off lots of car
alarms. I saw one guy clicking the "off" button through his window,
but his alarm kept going off (grin).

All three cats stayed as low into thie respective protective coverings
as they could get.

This morning, Spot was still on the blue couch, Buster was cuddled up
tightly against Senyah's legs, and Little Feet was at the front
window, watching the birds.

When I opened the back door, Spot rubbed against my legs and went out.
Buster went to the front door and started meowing to go out. Little
Feet followed me into the kitchen and jump-ed up on the counter to
await his saucer of milk. I think Little Feet has the right idea
(grin).

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Old May 2nd 04, 11:33 PM
Hopitus2

I've related before about how during a '63 hurricane named Cleo (huge, wet,
and powerful) my mom and I decided to take all the cats (about 14) in off
her front porch, which was a 4-foot deep concrete slab w/rotten pine wood
porch atop it, across the front of the house.
There were cats out there that no way got along with my cats (also on my
large bed) ordinarily, but a general "cease-fire" was in effect throughout
the night, while the 'cane passed over our area of Miami, doing heavy damage
(but nothing like Andrew, '92: huge dry ones are usually more powerful). At
dawn, the cats woke me up fighting over me on the bed; we went outside -
wood part of porch was *gone* (never found it) and someone's tool shed was
in front yard (neighbor came from several blocks away and claimed it). In
back yard, my favorite childhood reading spot rubber tree had a broomstick
driven all the way through its trunk about eye level. Unable to put cats
back on nonexistent porch again, I quickly took my group home across the
street to stop the squabbling as cease-fire was clearly over. Cats have some
kind of communication system.

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
: It amazes me how you can do this with the feral cats and not have any
: fights! Glad they all had a truce going!
: Christine
: "Mark Edwards" wrote in message
: ...
: