URGENT PURRS NEEDED: Kenzie close to death :(

Old October 23rd 10, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

Default URGENT PURRS NEEDED: Kenzie close to death :(

I said on Wednesday night how well Kenzie's ultrasound went.

Well several hours later, things went horribly wrong: Kenzie would not
eat or drink, and every time she tried to move, she cried like I have
never heard before.

I stayed up ALL NIGHT LONG, trying to give her water and tuna juice with
a syringe: she would NOT drink ANY.

It got worse and worse, and I did call a 24 hour emergency vet:
%basically $500 to go through the door

So I left a message on the answering machine at my vet clinic, and one
of the techs called at 8AM, and asked if I could get they by 9AM.

THe vet took one look at Kenzie, and I could SEE ho worried she was,
immediately.

Kenzie started hemorrhaging internally from her liver biopsy, some time
LATE on Wed night, and went into shock.

Her packed red cell volume is WAY down...I can't remember the number,
because in three nights, I've had 6 hours of sleep, and NONE at all last
night.

Also, her body temp was down to 92F; 101F is normal.

So the vet put Kenzie on an IV, and a heating pad, and had a vet tech
watch her, non stop, from about 9:30AM, to 6:30PM.

They administered multiple medications, to try to 'stabilize' the shock,
and bring up her blood pressure...and some other meds I can't
remember....because of lack of sleep

They gave her pre-warmed IV fluid, to help stabilize Kenzie's
temperature. It's still below what it should be

I stayed at the vet clinic ALL DAY, sitting in a REALLY uncomfortable
chair, on my broken coccyx...with my broken ribs. VERY painful, for a
long time.

Anyway, they worked on Kenzie ALL DAY LONG.

There was some money that was donated for the ultrasound, that wasn't
used for the ultrasound. And they charged me about$50 less than what
they had told me it would cost.

It was about enough for a clinic visit, with blood tests, including the
thyroid test.

That's what I planned to use it for, in 2 to 4 weeks.

Instead, after working ALL DAY on Kenzie, with meds, IV fluids, blood
pressure monitoring, plus ALL the things I can't remember, and a vet
tech monitoring Kenzie non stop...they charged me the amount that had
been donated, and not used for the ultrasound.

MOST of what they did wasn't even ON the 'itemized bill'.

I don't know what they charge or a vet tech for 9 1/2 hours, but they
earn fairly good money, and of course the clinic has to charge
significantly more. Nine and one half hours = a LOT of money.

So, they did many, MANY hundreds of dollars worth of vet work on Kenzie,
and they did not charge me for it.

My veterinarian is SO NICE. And, ALL of the vet techs are VERY nice, as
well.

These are really GOOD people.

The BEST!

Kenzie is at home, on a heating pad: her 'winter bed', actually, so I
know it's safe for her.

IF Kenzie can survive tonight, and the odds are 'not very good', then
Kenzie has a CHANCE of surviving this crisis....but she's FAR from being
out of the woods.

I am going to stay up again ALL NIGHT again tonight, and if Kenzie
survives, I will take her back to the clinic on Saturday morning.

She still has a catheter in the small vein in her front paw, so they can
give her more fluids and meds, if necessary.

Please purr for my precious Kenzie; she is my only cat, and she means
the world to me.

Thank you so much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old October 23rd 10, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Oct 22, 10:24*pm, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~ *^..^ * *

- Robert Heinlein

Purrs sent for Kenzie, and for you.

Sherry
Old October 23rd 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Oct 22, 11:24*pm, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:
[...]

She means a lot to many of us here. We are purring for her comfort,
health and survival. Your vets were wonderful.

--
Will in New Haven

Old October 23rd 10, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

"ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf)" wrote in message

[...]

Dear Gandalf - I am so sorry for all you and Kenzie are going through - you
both have our heartfelt purrs and purrayers.
Chrisitne and Tucker, Midnight, Robin & Oreo

Old October 23rd 10, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Gandalf wrote:

[...]

Oh my god, this is such a shock! I'm really sad to read this - after
all she's been through, it was so great to finally be hopeful. I'll
be thinking of her, and Roxy is purring for her (she's curled up with
me at the moment, so it's pretty easy to get her purring). Please,
please let her survive the night.

Joyce

PS - your vet is wonderful!
Old October 23rd 10, 05:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_8_]

Oh no, Poor Kenzie and poor you. I am SO sorry to here of this
I know you will do the right thing for your sweet Kenzie if she needs it,
but I know how hard it will be on you.
and I am still so worried about you and your health. Purrs and prayers
lovingly sent from me and the kitties.
TRY and get some rest.
Love,
Your friend always
Kyla

(Gandalf)"

Old October 23rd 10, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sharon & Smudgie[_3_]

[...]

Oh no! Purrs for Kenzie and purrs for you too. Thinking of you both after
all you have been through the last few days.

Sharon & Smudgie

Old October 23rd 10, 08:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Oct 22, 8:24*pm, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote:
[...]

For that level of intensive care, with a vet tech constantly
monitoring....is NOT cheap. When I was a tech, that would probably be
entered as Level Three Nursing, the highest we had. It basically
means one tech is usually assigned to the patient and that is their
ONLY case for the day.

I've occasionally seen cases like this, when the vet doesn't care
about making money anymore, now it's about doing whatever is necessary
to take care of the patient. And as a tech, i didn't care either, all
I wanted was for the patient to get better.

Hope that Kenzie can make it through this without much pain or
discomfort.

Purrs and hugs,

Kristi