(OT) Just out of Curiosity: Middle Names

Old August 18th 11, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

Default (OT) Just out of Curiosity: Middle Names

In article , Sherry wrote:

And a friend of mine's middle name is "H." Just an "H". What were
his parents thinking?

I had a boss whose full name was "J Neal". No middle name, and his first name
was quite literally the single letter J. At least that *sounds* like a
legitimate name, unlike, say, "W".

Art
Old August 18th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Aug 18, 9:52 am, "Matthew"
wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

Try going through life *without* a middle name. No one ever believes you
don't have one. People just think it must be something *awful* and you
don't want to tell them. Only my oldest brother has a middle name. My
other brother and I don't have one. My parents didn't have middle names,
either. AFAIK my grandparents didn't have middle names. Sometimes
(poorly designed) web forms insist the middle name field is mandatory so
have to make something up. I don't really understand the point of middle
names. Is it so if you hate your first name you can use the other one?
(What happens if you don't like either one? LOL)

How many of you folks have a middle name? And if you do, which name do
you go by, the first or the middle?

OB cats: Persia is (as usual) stretched out in a puddle of sunshine
behind my chair. I gave her another nice brushing last night. She purred
like mad

Jill

This is a little off topic but something that only happens with a killer
in
the news
If they kill a person they use their full name include their middle name
specially serial killers
IF they attempt or just do harm only their first and last

ROFL. You read the same bylines as I do in news rags.

learned that in my criminology classes years ago about serial killers

Old August 18th 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Try going through life *without* a middle name. No one ever believes you
don't have one. People just think it must be something *awful* and you
don't want to tell them. Only my oldest brother has a middle name. My
other brother and I don't have one. My parents didn't have middle names,
either. AFAIK my grandparents didn't have middle names. Sometimes
(poorly designed) web forms insist the middle name field is mandatory so I
have to make something up. I don't really understand the point of middle
names. Is it so if you hate your first name you can use the other one?
(What happens if you don't like either one? LOL)

How many of you folks have a middle name? And if you do, which name do
you go by, the first or the middle?

OB cats: Persia is (as usual) stretched out in a puddle of sunshine
behind my chair. I gave her another nice brushing last night. She purred
like mad

My middle name is Marie, after my paternal aunt. Sadly she died in a fire
while she was working for the army during the war, she was only in her 20's.
Until I managed to trace my half-siblings from letters found after my
mother's death, I only knew she was my father's sister and had a tragic
death. From meeting up with them in 2007 for the first time, I have a
lovely photo of her - she was beautiful.
All that side of the family are Scottish. I have always pronounced my
middle name M'ree, English style but I found out that hers was pronounced
Maari.
(I thought you might be interested in the Scottish bit, Jill) My father and
his sibs came from Kilmarnock.
I have always used my first name, but my mother always used her middle one,
as she did not like her first name, which was Enid. I can't imagine what
my grandfather was thinking about when he registered her birth, my
grandmother always used to leave it up to him to name the children as she
was "lying up" as they did then, after childbirth. He named his children
Olive Mabel, Arthur Bryan, Enid Audrey & Neil Stanley.
All my close and extended family have middle names.

It's often a custom here to have the middle name of your child the same as
one of their grandparents. My niece, my brother's child) is called
Charlotte "Rose" after her maternal grandmother. She would not appreciate
Enid or Audrey would she?
I wish my grandfather would have been more imaginative naming my mother.
Where on earth did he get the idea for those names?

Tweed

Old August 18th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote:
Try going through life *without* a middle name. No one ever believes
you don't have one. People just think it must be something *awful*
and you don't want to tell them. Only my oldest brother has a middle
name. My other brother and I don't have one. My parents didn't have
middle names, either. AFAIK my grandparents didn't have middle names.
Sometimes (poorly designed) web forms insist the middle name field is
mandatory so I have to make something up. I don't really understand
the point of middle names. Is it so if you hate your first name you
can use the other one? (What happens if you don't like either one?
LOL)

How many of you folks have a middle name? And if you do, which name
do you go by, the first or the middle?

OB cats: Persia is (as usual) stretched out in a puddle of sunshine
behind my chair. I gave her another nice brushing last night. She
purred like mad

Jill

Neither of my parents have a middle name.
--
Adrian
Old August 18th 11, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 08/18/2011 08:55 AM, jmcquown wrote:
Try going through life *without* a middle name. No one ever believes you
don't have one. People just think it must be something *awful* and you
don't want to tell them. Only my oldest brother has a middle name. My
other brother and I don't have one. My parents didn't have middle names,
either. AFAIK my grandparents didn't have middle names. Sometimes
(poorly designed) web forms insist the middle name field is mandatory so
I have to make something up. I don't really understand the point of
middle names. Is it so if you hate your first name you can use the other
one? (What happens if you don't like either one? LOL)

How many of you folks have a middle name? And if you do, which name do
you go by, the first or the middle?

OB cats: Persia is (as usual) stretched out in a puddle of sunshine
behind my chair. I gave her another nice brushing last night. She purred
like mad

Jill

To distinguish one from the dozens or hundreds with the same first and
last names. Nothing new under the sun! MLB
Old August 18th 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article
, Sherry
wrote:

And a friend of mine's middle name is "H." Just an "H". What were
his parents thinking?

I had a boss whose full name was "J Neal". No middle name, and his first
name
was quite literally the single letter J. At least that *sounds* like a
legitimate name, unlike, say, "W".

I don't know how how you register your births/deaths/marriages in the USA
but I know a little about it, as the registrar of BDM had her office in my
workplace.
I was friendly with her.
She was a lovely person and did some deathbed marriages, but, once, she
refused to register a birth as the name was so stupid and the parents were
drunk when they turned up to register the birth.
Let me say that is very unusual. I dread to think what the proposed name
was
Tweed

Old August 18th 11, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I have a middle name. Since I don't use it, I gave it to my daughter as a
first name. My brother could empathize with you. He has a middle initial,
rather than a name. He had an extremely difficult time when he joined the
Navy, because they kept demanding to know what the initial stood for.

Joy

Old August 18th 11, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2011-08-18 2:39 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I suspect they were all fairly popular names in your grandparents' day,
although I had an Audrey in my class in school and I know a Neil who is
about 13 or 14, so they aren't limited to the past! My maternal
grandfather (middle name Arthur) insisted on naming almost all his
children (I think my grandmother got to choose the middle name of one or
two of them) mostly after people on his side of the family. There was
apparently a terrible fuss when my mother was invariably called by her
middle name and not the first name that he chose!

One of my sisters was given the middle name of Mildred after our
grandmother who died about the time she was born. That sounds very
old-fashioned now and I don't think she uses it any more. She's always
hated it, and although as far as I know the grandmother in question was
a perfectly nice and worthy woman, none of us can remember her at all.

--
Cheryl
Old August 18th 11, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/18/2011 12:40 PM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Tell him that he's in good company. Jesus had an initial as a middle
name. How many times have you heard someone say "Jesus H. Christ"? ;
Sorry, I hope that wasn't offensive to my Christian friends.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 18th 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

My mother always thought she had a middle name. It wasn't until she was in
her 80s and tried to do some genealogical research that she found out that
not only did she not have a middle name, her last name (before marriage)
wasn't what she thought it was. She had been told she didn't have a birth
certificate.

This came about because her father was a bigamist, who left my grandmother
before my mother was born. My grandmother would never talk about this. On
the birth certificate, she was given the real last name of her father, but
my grandmother always used the name he had used to marry her, both for
herself and for her daughter.

Joy