(OT) Just out of Curiosity: Middle Names

Old August 20th 11, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

Default (OT) Just out of Curiosity: Middle Names

On Aug 20, 3:59*pm, CatNipped wrote:
On 8/20/2011 11:20 AM, Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

On Aug 19, 8:53 pm, Wayne *wrote:
* *wrote:
She helped me to laugh at myself and contributed a large part to my
sense of humor (so might say that was a *bad* thing.

Well, *some* might, maybe. *But not anyone who had read any of your
"...with Mommy" stories.
--

Wayne M.

I completely agree! *Then again, seems that Cat and I have the same
sense of humor (hey... *CN, remember the phone call?giggle).

I do snork! *Love ya sweetie!! *And if you came to live here I'd let
you share my walker and I'd use the cane!! *;

Me'uns is a thinkin' it would be a mite too big fer ya! You might
could use it as a crutch though giggle, and I'd use the walker as a
rolling sitter~
Old August 21st 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatNipped" wrote in message
On 8/20/2011 8:17 AM, Cheryl wrote:
On 8/20/2011 3:38 AM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
On Aug 18, 1:53 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

Try going through life *without* a middle name. No one ever believes
you
don't have one. People just think it must be something *awful* and you
don't want to tell them. Only my oldest brother has a middle name. My
other brother and I don't have one. My parents didn't have middle
names,
either. AFAIK my grandparents didn't have middle names. Sometimes
(poorly designed) web forms insist the middle name field is
mandatory so
have to make something up. I don't really understand the point of
middle
names. Is it so if you hate your first name you can use the other one?
(What happens if you don't like either one? LOL)

How many of you folks have a middle name? And if you do, which name do
you go by, the first or the middle?

OB cats: Persia is (as usual) stretched out in a puddle of sunshine
behind my chair. I gave her another nice brushing last night. She
purred
like mad

Jill

My mother always thought she had a middle name. It wasn't until she
was in
her 80s and tried to do some genealogical research that she found out
that
not only did she not have a middle name, her last name (before
marriage)
wasn't what she thought it was. She had been told she didn't have a
birth
certificate.

This came about because her father was a bigamist, who left my
grandmother
before my mother was born. My grandmother would never talk about
this. On
the birth certificate, she was given the real last name of her
father, but
my grandmother always used the name he had used to marry her, both for
herself and for her daughter.

Joy

I was born at home and my sister had been told she could name the new
baby when it came. She came home from visiting friends just after I
arrived and ran down the street to her best friend to find out what
her middle name was. By the time she came back, the doctor had left
and an aunt who helped with the delivery had chosen Dolores but didn't
know how to spell it so Dolores turned out to be Deloras. Most
Norma's were named Norma Jean at the time (think Marilyn Monroe).
Norma in NH

***

My mother named all three of us, and mostly my father went along with
it.
She chose all of our first names just because she liked the name. Middle
names were a different story. My middle name was my maternal
grandmother's
middle name. She wanted to use her maiden name (at the time she didn't
know
that wasn't really her name) for my brother's middle name, but my Dad
didn't
like it, so she just used the initial. As I mentioned in another post,
that
cause him some grief when he joined the navy.

She didn't have another family name she wanted to give my sister for a
middle name, so she changed one letter in my middle name and used that.
Mine is Irene, and my sister's is Ilene.

Joy

My mother, being kind of a traditionalist (one who chose what traditions
to observe!) wanted to name me, the eldest, Edwina after my father. My
father, not being of that tradition, refused. So then she thought about
her side of the family - she hated her first name and didn't like her
second, which she used, very much. Her mother, Jessie (not 'Jessica')
also disliked her own name so much she didn't want any granddaughters
afflicted with it. Her grandmother was Lucy, another name my mother
disliked although she adored her grandmother, and it wasn't for many
years that she found out that Lucy was really Lucinda, and by then it
was far too late to re-name me. It's a pity; I think Lucy and Lucinda
are fine names.

Eventually they picked a name that they thought was pretty, and which
was also almost unheard of Back Home, where I returned at about 3 months
of age, so I've ended up having to spell it for everyone most of my life
until other Cheryls became famous - and even then, no one knows if it
begins with an S or a C, so anytime someone asks for my name to write it
down, I say automatically 'Cheryl with a C'.

And all of this in spite of the fact that my mother was much influenced
by the clergyman in charge of her church when she was growing up.
Although not Roman Catholic, he was a firm believer in giving children
names from the saints or the Bible. I guess it was thought to provide
children with something to live up to. Only two of us have names that
are saint's names - my brother was named after his father, who was named
after his father, and so on down the line, and my youngest sister's
middle name Ann was chosen because my parents liked it and thought it
went well with her first name.

Naming seems to be such an important part of culture - but in most
cases, there are all these exceptions, and people who go by other names.
I have a friend whose husband didn't realize the name he used wasn't his
legal one until he needed a birth certificate to get a marriage license!

It drives me crazy here in Houston to have the last name Crews. Every one
here always wants to spell it Cruz - or since the advent of the famous
Tom, but a lot less often, Cruise. *Nobody* ever spells it Crews on the
first try. When ever I tell someone my name (and I have to do it a lot
with all the doctors and prescriptions I have - and it's important that I
don't get the wrong medical chart or drug), I *always* say in and
immediately spell it, *very* slowly and *very* loudly... and they *still*
get it wrong. One of my chart at my recent surgery has "Lorraine Cruews".
LOL - they just always *have* to get that U in there! ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

That's worse than the problems I had with my maiden name. It was Walter,
and everybody wanted to add an "s". Also, a lot of people call me Joyce,
which is not only *not* my name, but it's a name of a cousin I don't
particularly like. A girlfriend I had in elementary school knew which
buttons to push, and when she was angry with me, she'd say, "Joyce WalterZ!"

Joy

Old August 21st 11, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On Aug 19, 8:53 pm, Wayne wrote:
wrote:
She helped me to laugh at myself and contributed a large part to my
sense of humor (so might say that was a *bad* thing.

Well, *some* might, maybe. But not anyone who had read any of your
"...with Mommy" stories.
--

Wayne M.

I completely agree! Then again, seems that Cat and I have the same
sense of humor (hey... CN, remember the phone call?giggle).

I dosnork! Love ya sweetie!! And if you came to live here I'd let
you share my walker and I'd use the cane!! ;

Me'uns is a thinkin' it would be a mite too big fer ya! You might
could use it as a crutch thoughgiggle, and I'd use the walker as a
rolling sitter~

Would you believe that when I was still in the extended care facility I
had walker envy? LOL!! We were/are pretty broke and all medical
equipment is ridiculously priced, so my walker was really plain, just
two rollers on front legs - non-swivel - and just rubber caps on the
back legs. I saw this lady who had one with a little seat for when you
get woozy or tired, and all kinds of little baskets and drink holders
for convenience. I was like a kid being jealous of another kid's new
bike with cool streamers! ;

I don't really have to use the walker or cane any more - but would if I
ever had to walk more than a few feet. When I go to the grocery store
with Ben I'll sometimes have to go sit in the car after ten minutes or
so (and man that's hard to do in a city with a "heat index" right now at
114F!). But I don't need it for just around the house or to and from
doctors offices (Ben always drops me off at the door no matter where we
go, he's being nice, but it also gives him time to smoke his cigarette
while he walks from the parking lot without aggravating me with the smell).

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 21st 11, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2011-08-19 4:24 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message

I have 2 middle names, the 1st one is horrible, and the 2nd one is my
grandmother's last name. Ugh. Cannot use either one.

How bad are they? Tell us what they are. I would not like to be called
Ethel.
Tweed

That's the name my mother refuses to answer to.

--
Cheryl
Old August 21st 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Aug 20, 6:17*am, Cheryl wrote:

I have a friend whose husband didn't realize the name he used wasn't his
legal one until he needed a birth certificate to get a marriage license!

My middle brother was given the first name of Redmond, which he hates
but everyone calls him Jim to the extent when he was at school the
truant officer came round because he hadn't been in school for a whole
term- he had but they had a new teacher who would call out "Redmond"
and he wouldn;t answer to it. So until 6 years ago I assumed his
middle name was James and he was using that but when we were
organising mum's funeral he had to give his full name and it turns out
his middle name is Andrew! He isn't a Jim at all according to his
birth certificate.

I was supposed to be called Susan (it's my middle name and I hate it)
because my parents were so sure their first born would be a boy when I
popped out minus the all important appendage (as they saw it) they
hadn't even discussed names. Then my mum's mum reminded her that they
had promised to name her first grand-child Lesley after mum's brother
Leslie who went missing in action in WW2 so I became Lesley and I am
so glad it wasn't one of her other brothers they were Albert, George
and Roger. So I could have ended up as Albertina, Georgina
or ...Rogerina? Is there a female equivalent of Roger?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old August 22nd 11, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MatSav" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message
...My Scottish grandfather named a lot of his sons after his own
brothers.
Changing tack, but still on the Scottish theme, do you know what your
tartan is?

My maternal grandfather was a Wallace, which gives me entitlement to this:
http://www.scotclans.com/scottish_cl...ce/tartan.html

--

This is mine:
http://www.scotweb.co.uk/tartan/MacThomas/20620

Tweed

Old August 23rd 11, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Aug 18, 6:29*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
but, once, she
refused to register a birth as the name was so stupid and the parents were
drunk when they turned up to register the birth.
Let me say that is very unusual. *I dread to think what the proposed name
was

Could it have been on this list?

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/blogs/...4006397-3.html

Old September 6th 11, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Try going through life *without* a middle name. No one ever believes
you don't have one. [...]
How many of you folks have a middle name? And if you do, which name
do you go by, the first or the middle?

I used to have one, didn't see the point of it and stopped using it
years ago. No problem. Nobody ever asks for one. It's not on my
passport. For that matter the first name I was given isn't on my
passport either. The UK is not as prescriptive about it as the US.