Medicating male sprayer

Old September 24th 03, 11:53 PM
Rick & Bob

Default Medicating male sprayer

Hi everyone !

Has anyone else here medicated their cat to stop him/her from spraying? We
just started researching this option and discovered that there are several
drugs that can be used and several that we would never consider due to some
of the side effects. Also, would a behaviorist be helpful?

We have a 4 year old male cat who is spraying in every room of the house.
It's probably a territorial thing because the neighbors cats are outside
most of the time and they hang around our house alot which agitates Morris.
We are pretty sure that it isn't a health issue such as a urinary problem
because we've seen him in the act of spraying several times, but he is due
to go to the vet so we'll check with the vet.

We've been trying the Feliway products for about a year now and his spraying
is just as bad as before we started using this product. His spraying is
ruining furniture and it is really time consuming to keep cleaning up after
him.

So.....we hate to do it but we are considering the possibility of medicating
him, if only temporary to see if that would reduce some anxiety. Whether we
stop him from spraying or not, he is our boy and, of course, he will always
have a good home with us.

Old September 25th 03, 02:56 AM
Mary

So.....we hate to do it but we are considering the possibility of medicating
him, if only temporary to see if that would reduce some anxiety.

What has your vet recommended? I have a sprayer also. I thought he was doing
better on Feliway but the moment after I posted my "success" story he started
spraying all over again. He sprayed directly on the Feliway mister!

Old September 25th 03, 03:25 AM
Rick & Bob

"Mary" wrote in message
So.....we hate to do it but we are considering the possibility of

medicating
him, if only temporary to see if that would reduce some anxiety.

What has your vet recommended? I have a sprayer also. I thought he was

doing
better on Feliway but the moment after I posted my "success" story he

started
spraying all over again. He sprayed directly on the Feliway mister!

Hi,

Morris did the same thing. He sprayed the area where we had the Feliway
plug-in. It did seem work for a couple of months but now he seems to be
oblivious to it.

The vet didn't really offer a suggestion. I asked him if the Feliway worked
as it is supposed to and he said it works in some cases and in some cases it
does not work. We're planning to ask him about medication in the next week
or two. I think Morris is due for a check up. I'll try to remember to post a
follow-up.

How many cats are in your home? We have 3 females and Morris. Strange thing
is, Morris didn't spray for the first couple of years after we adopted him.

Old September 25th 03, 04:01 AM
Mary

How many cats are in your home? We have 3 females and Morris. Strange thing
is, Morris didn't spray for the first couple of years after we adopted him.

I have one female who is sweet as pie. Then I have Patchy the sprayer. He
didn't spray the inside of the house for the first few months. He seems to
spray where my other cat sits a lot. I also do squirrel rescue and a couple
marked an area near where he sprays so that doesn't help. He also just sprayed
near my husbands socks and shoes.