(OT) Jumping Into the Void (Quitting Smoking)

Old January 12th 05, 10:34 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-12, Bev penned:

Good luck with this. DH gave up the weed in June before we went to Alaska.
He knew there was no smoking on the plane and in a lot of places in the US.
For some reason 'not smoking' affected his tum, he had a lot of acid and was
sometimes sick. However everyone is affected differently. I have never
smoked so he doesn't have to put up with second hand smoke. It is now
seven months, is still 'clean', tum has recovered, and he feels better.

My mom gets, well, there's no other way to say it, she gets constipated when
she tries to quit smoking. It's really bad for her. Then, even if she's
successful in quitting, she starts it up again if she's stressed (and she's a
very nervous person) or when smoker friends visit (and she's a very social
person). *sigh*

My dad quit many years ago, cold turkey. I hear it's often easier for men
than for women. I'd been on a campaign to get my parents to quit since I was
tiny, and at one point my dad told me he decided to quit because he thought
I'd given up my campaign, and it was pretty sad to see a daughter give up on
her father. Still, years later, he would sometimes dream about smoking a
cigarette. I don't know if he still does.

Cigarettes are evil!

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 12th 05, 10:52 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"Monique Y. Mudama" had some very interesting
things to say about (OT) Jumping Into the Void (Quitting Smoking):

My mom gets, well, there's no other way to say it, she gets constipated when
she tries to quit smoking. It's really bad for her. Then, even if she's
successful in quitting, she starts it up again if she's stressed (and she's a
very nervous person) or when smoker friends visit (and she's a very social
person). *sigh*

See http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_372.html for info on this.
:-)

Old January 12th 05, 11:00 PM
Yowie

Way to go Ginger-Lyn. Purring up a storm and sending lots of "be strong"
vibes. You can do it!!!!!

Yowie

"Ginger-lyn Summer" wrote in message
Gulp.

Here I go.

Tomorrow, I am quitting smoking. And because I am posting it here for
all of you to see, I *have* to do it!

I have figured out what I am going to do when those urges hit: I went
out and bought a sign language dictionary, and I am going to teach
myself sign language. Should keep my hands busy, and teach me
something valuable, and open up my world to other people, all at the
same time!

Today, I am going to gather up all the ashtrays and wash them, and
gather up all other smoking accoutrements and put them in a box where
I can't see them, upstairs in the Kitty Rescue Room (which no kitty
can be in right now, since it's such a mess, with soggy items and
other things), so DH (who's a smoker) can still do his thing, since
it's his choice. But they will be away from me, and I will have 95%
of the household smokefree.

I read the insert in the box of patches last night, and will read it
again today (it comes with a CD, too, which includes relaxing music --
heh). When I get up tomorrow, I will reach for a patch instead of a
cigarette.

I'm skeeeeerrreeeed! (translation: scared)

Big leap for me!

But here goes . . . .

Ginger-lyn

Old January 12th 05, 11:05 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-12, Seanette Blaylock penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" had some very interesting things
to say about (OT) Jumping Into the Void (Quitting Smoking):

My mom gets, well, there's no other way to say it, she gets constipated when
she tries to quit smoking. It's really bad for her. Then, even if she's
successful in quitting, she starts it up again if she's stressed (and she's
a very nervous person) or when smoker friends visit (and she's a very social
person). *sigh*

See http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_372.html for info on this.
:-)

Wow.

I stand by my earlier remark. Cigarettes. Nasty things.

I'm not sure that I'm actually allergic to cigarettes, but even the slightest
whiff makes my stomach upset. The amazing thing to me is walking out of a ski
lodge at 10K feet or higher and having someone light up in front of me. Me, I
need all the oxygen I can get at altitude! I feel like that person is
actually stealing my breath.

Fortunately, I live in Longmont and work in Boulder, and both now have laws
against smoking in public buildings. That's right, no smoking in restaurants,
bars, or even concert venues. I'm sure it irritates the smokers, but it's a
huge relief to me. I've actually avoided certain events just to avoid the
smoke.

Old January 12th 05, 11:40 PM
Lisa Katt

Good luck purrs, Ginger-lyn!
Elisabet and Hugo Katt

Old January 12th 05, 11:44 PM
jmcquown

Ginger-lyn Summer wrote:
Gulp.

Here I go.

Tomorrow, I am quitting smoking. And because I am posting it here for
all of you to see, I *have* to do it!

Ginger-lyn

IIRC you did it before, you can do it again The sign language is a good
idea (useful, too!). Try snacking on sunflower seeds when you need that
hand-to-mouth thing (if they don't disagree with your dietary needs in any
way). And, as someone else suggested, when the urge hits, hug a cat!

Good luck purrs headed that way.

Jill

Old January 13th 05, 12:29 AM
Stormin Mormon

Good luck. Both my parents used to smoke. And so did my one sister. I was
allergic to the smoke, so I never had the urge to try one up close.

Let us know how things work out. I know there is at least one other
ex-smoker on the list (Baha). And I really respect anyone who can kick the
habit.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old January 13th 05, 01:02 AM
Elise

Ginger-lyn Summer wrote:
[...]

Congratulations! The sign language idea sounds like a great answer to
"what do I do whith my hands?"
Purring for your success {{{Ginger-lyn}}}

--
Elise (supervised by Gossamer & Jeeves)
pics: