How will the USA survive?

Old October 22nd 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

Default How will the USA survive?

I learned this morning of a terrible thing. The U.S.A. has banned,
yes *banned* the importation of vegemite, to the extent where they are
searching Australians entering the USA and confiscating their precious
vegemite (black gold). This is apparently because it contains added
folate (a B vitamin) and the FDA stipulates that folate may only be an
added ingredient to bread and cereals. Since vegemite is the
by-product of beer brewing (being extracted from the sludge left at
the bottom of the vat during brewing - doesn't it sound enticing?), it
is neither bread nor cereal. Australia would grind to a slow, painful
halt if vegemite disappeared, so *how* will the USA cope?

LOL
Tish

Old October 22nd 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2006-10-21 20:10:26 -0500, Tish said:

I learned this morning of a terrible thing. The U.S.A. has banned,
yes *banned* the importation of vegemite, to the extent where they are
searching Australians entering the USA and confiscating their precious
vegemite (black gold). This is apparently because it contains added
folate (a B vitamin) and the FDA stipulates that folate may only be an
added ingredient to bread and cereals. Since vegemite is the
by-product of beer brewing (being extracted from the sludge left at
the bottom of the vat during brewing - doesn't it sound enticing?), it
is neither bread nor cereal. Australia would grind to a slow, painful
halt if vegemite disappeared, so *how* will the USA cope?
LOL
Tish

Well that's really wierd! I mean, yeah, vegemite is wierd as I
understand it, but how strange to ban it?I could swear that there is
folate in things other than bread and cereal.

Old October 22nd 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Karen wrote:
On 2006-10-21 20:10:26 -0500, Tish said:

[...]

Yeah, but there's only vegemimite in, um, vegemite. I think it is damn
nice of the U.S. to let it got at this and not seek sanctions against
Australia for the war crime of exporting the stuff. That or ship them
some okra in retaliation.

Will in New Haven

--

"Ozzy, Ozzy, Ozzy, oy oy oy oy"

Old October 22nd 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

On 21 Oct 2006 18:43:43 -0700, "Will in New Haven"
wrote:

Yeah, but there's only vegemimite in, um, vegemite. I think it is damn
nice of the U.S. to let it got at this and not seek sanctions against
Australia for the war crime of exporting the stuff. That or ship them
some okra in retaliation.

Will in New Haven

mmmm .... okra! My okra seedlings are just germinating now, so it
will be several months until we have any to harvest. If okra is
cooked the Greek or Indian way it loses that nasty mucus and is really
very palatable. I made the mistake only once of trying tinned okra -
man-o-man was that stuff *nasty*!

Tish
Old October 22nd 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

LOL! There will be a mass of Aussie expats shifting from the US to
anywhere that vegemite is legal. Heaven forbid, some may have to resort
to promite.

I suppose it could be argued the folate was not added to the stuff, and
that it is naturally occuring. Vegimite sandwiches should be legal
though

When my Dad travels he usually brings a large jar of vegemite with him
and sometimes donates the remainder to a vegimite-deprived-Australian
before he returns back home. He's a very compassionate man.

Dewi.

Old October 22nd 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Tish wrote:
I learned this morning of a terrible thing. The U.S.A. has banned,
yes *banned* the importation of vegemite, to the extent where they are
searching Australians entering the USA and confiscating their precious
vegemite (black gold). This is apparently because it contains added
folate (a B vitamin) and the FDA stipulates that folate may only be an
added ingredient to bread and cereals. Since vegemite is the
by-product of beer brewing (being extracted from the sludge left at
the bottom of the vat during brewing - doesn't it sound enticing?), it
is neither bread nor cereal. Australia would grind to a slow, painful
halt if vegemite disappeared, so *how* will the USA cope?

LOL
Tish

LOLOL Well, considering I've never tasted Vegemite nor it's counterpart
Marmite, I'd have to say the USA will survive quite nicely

Jill

Old October 22nd 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Tish wrote:
I learned this morning of a terrible thing. The U.S.A. has banned,
yes *banned* the importation of vegemite, to the extent where they are
searching Australians entering the USA and confiscating their precious
vegemite (black gold). This is apparently because it contains added
folate (a B vitamin) and the FDA stipulates that folate may only be an
added ingredient to bread and cereals. Since vegemite is the
by-product of beer brewing (being extracted from the sludge left at
the bottom of the vat during brewing - doesn't it sound enticing?), it
is neither bread nor cereal. Australia would grind to a slow, painful
halt if vegemite disappeared, so *how* will the USA cope?

LOL
Tish

This appears to be *such* a boneheaded thing. I had never heard of
vegemite, and I am not well-versed at all on the logistics of the
"ban", so forgive me that this post might be equally boneheaded.
They're banning it because it has folate added? What's the big deal
with that?? Judging from the info. that I just googled, they all say
that the risk of toxicity from over-absorbtion of folate is very low.
I daresay that it's still healthier for kids than a Big Mac. So are we
gonna ban those, too.
I take a prescription folic acid supplement, and lower doses are
available over the counter.
There's something really screwy going on with this I think.

Sherry

Old October 22nd 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

wrote:
Tish wrote:
[...]

I thought there was somthing suspicious going on too.

Dewi.

Old October 22nd 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote:

Yeah, but there's only vegemimite in, um, vegemite. I think it is damn
nice of the U.S. to let it got at this and not seek sanctions against
Australia for the war crime of exporting the stuff. That or ship them
some okra in retaliation.

Will in New Haven

mmmm .... okra! My okra seedlings are just germinating now, so it
will be several months until we have any to harvest. If okra is
cooked the Greek or Indian way it loses that nasty mucus and is really
very palatable. I made the mistake only once of trying tinned okra -
man-o-man was that stuff *nasty*!

Tish

What's the Greek or Indian way? It might be interesting to try -- we have
lots of Okra here, but I never liked the slimy texture (and I do not eat
breaded or deep-fried).

Thanks,
MaryL

Old October 22nd 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

wrote:

Yeah, but there's only vegemimite in, um, vegemite. I think it is damn
nice of the U.S. to let it got at this and not seek sanctions against
Australia for the war crime of exporting the stuff. That or ship them
some okra in retaliation.

Will in New Haven

mmmm .... okra! My okra seedlings are just germinating now, so it
will be several months until we have any to harvest. If okra is
cooked the Greek or Indian way it loses that nasty mucus and is really
very palatable. I made the mistake only once of trying tinned okra -
man-o-man was that stuff *nasty*!

Tish

I'll admit it is slippery, but I really like it.MLB