OT - Hobby Suggestions Needed

Old April 25th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Default OT - Hobby Suggestions Needed

Classes or volunteering are excellent ideas - and don't limit yourself
to the first one or two possibilities you might think of. There are an
incredible number of organizations that use volunteers doing a wide
range of things, so if you don't like the idea of, say, collecting money
(one of my pet hates) find a group that wants you to do something else -
practicing English with a new immigrant, socializing cats, tidying up a
public garden or historical site....someone I know drives cancer
patients who don't have access to a car to and from their treatments.

And besides the usual classes at your local community centre or school,
there are often classes offered by amateur enthusiasts which are even
cheaper and as much or more fun - ranging from learning to sing in a
community choir through all kinds of crafts to learning tai chi or yoga.

And there are my basic fallbacks - reading, listening to music, walking,
working on jigsaw puzzles and computer games.

Cheryl
Old April 25th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mark Edwards

No cluons were harmed when CatNipped wrote:
Anybody got any ideas?

Raising cats! (big grin).

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old April 25th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Cheryl P." wrote in message
[...]

Uh, my two cents here. I don't think we need to be sending Lori out to
meet any more homeless cats.

I'm laughing here, really I am.

Jo

LOL - really!

Old April 25th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

CatNipped wrote:
As Pam suggested in another thread - a hobby would be a good way to distract
myself from the fear of being alone when DH starts his new shift. I just
need some suggestions that take into account my limitations: I'm broke so
the materials can't be costly; I'm a klutz so it can't be something that
takes a lot of dexterity or could seriously injure me; and it has to take
into account my severely limited attention span (no long-term projects).
OK, I know that's a lot of limitations, but come on, you guys are extremely
inventive!

Anybody got any ideas?

So I guess bungee-jumping's out of the question. Right? Please!

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old April 25th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

CatNipped wrote:
"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:32:39 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

As Pam suggested in another thread - a hobby would be a good way to
distract
myself from the fear of being alone when DH starts his new shift. I just
need some suggestions that take into account my limitations: I'm broke
so
the materials can't be costly; I'm a klutz so it can't be something that
takes a lot of dexterity or could seriously injure me; and it has to take
into account my severely limited attention span (no long-term projects).
OK, I know that's a lot of limitations, but come on, you guys are
extremely
inventive!

Anybody got any ideas?

How about writing? It's easy, I find it relaxing and enjoyable, and you
can get some peer review of your work (if you want it) at places like
writing.com.

Dan

Oops, reminds me I forgot one limitation - tendonitis of the right neck,
shoulder, arm and wrist. I type so much at work that I can't do it at home
(it got so bad I can only post to the newsgroups when I get some free time
at work - it hurts too much to type at home too or even use the mouse to
lurk). Even writing long-hand would hurt.

Man, I know I'm putting too many limitations on this, and I hate to be one
of those people who ask for help and then shoot down every idea given. I'm
sorry!

Hugs,

CatNipped

With your writing talent, you shouldn't let that stop you. There are
speech-to-text programs that can get you around that. Actually, M$'s is
not bad. If I can find the link to it, I'll send it your way.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old April 25th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

tanadashoes wrote:
"Jo Firey" wrote in message

Can you swim? Maybe somewhere you can swim for an hour in the
evenings. Or walking. I'm guessing its too hot for that there in
the evening. But I know they have early morning mall walking clubs.
Maybe there are evening ones. Or draft a friend..

bicycling! Doesn't Catnip have a bicycle and used to cycle? Maybe
that is a viable option.

Pam S.

Except it's so danged *hot* where she lives!

Jill

Old April 25th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 24, 4:32*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
As Pam suggested in another thread - a hobby would be a good way to distract
myself from the fear of being alone when DH starts his new shift. *I just
need some suggestions that take into account my limitations: *I'm broke so
the materials can't be costly; I'm a klutz so it can't be something that
takes a lot of dexterity or could seriously injure me; and it has to take
into account my severely limited attention span (no long-term projects).
OK, I know that's a lot of limitations, but come on, you guys are extremely
inventive!

Anybody got any ideas?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Do you sew or crochet? I used to make "purr pads" for the shelter.
Easy, quick, and much appreciated. All they were, was very small
quilts with catnip-laced batting.
A friend of mine crocheted cat toys.
Re-decorate a room "on the cheap". I already know you're good at that.
I remember pics of a room you did.
How about landscaping? It's the right time of the year for bedding
plants. You could have Ben prepare the beds so that the hard work is
already done, and you'd just have to plan and set your plants in.
I thought the cooking class sounded fun. And are you still biking?
If all else fails, there's always Bubbels. :-)

Sherry
Old April 25th 08, 11:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

CatNipped wrote:
As Pam suggested in another thread - a hobby would be a good way to
distract myself from the fear of being alone when DH starts his new
shift. I just need some suggestions that take into account my
limitations: I'm broke so the materials can't be costly; I'm a klutz
so it can't be something that takes a lot of dexterity or could
seriously injure me; and it has to take into account my severely
limited attention span (no long-term projects). OK, I know that's a
lot of limitations, but come on, you guys are extremely inventive!

Can you knit?

Dunno about over there, but there's a program here called 'Trauma Teddies' -
they're special teddies that are kept in ambulances, fire engines, police
cars, hospitals and other 'high trauma' services when a child is rushed in
without their 'special friend' to comfort them. They get to keep their new
teddy once the trauma is over.

The Trauma Teddies are knitted to a particular pattern. No hard swallowable
parts. I could knock one out in about an hour - its just plain stitch,
nothing complicated at all.

They are donated to the hospitals and ambulances via the Red Cross. I think
its a brilliant way to keep my fidgitty fingers doing something *and* it
does wonders for scared kids. Couldn't ask for a better hobby, actually.

The pattern:

http://www.groovygrandmas.com.au/TT%...ern%20New2.pdf

Yowie

Old April 25th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Sam" wrote in message
newscednRehTOyI14zVnZ2dnUVZ_sjinZ2d@isomediainc. ..
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the idea (and Stormee) - that would be kewl. I'll look into
getting the software for that.

Hugs,

CatNipped