Household addition

Old August 18th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
alanr

Default Household addition

Looks like we'll be making an addition to our household. We have one kitty
already, strictly indoor. Our son is having to give up his due to
circumstances and we've stepped up to the plate. His kitty has been
indoor-esque as I understand it.
When we bring her here should I dispose of our meowzer's litter box and
purchase two new ones? Should they both be in the same location or
separate? If separate should this be initially for them to become accustomed
to each other - to keep territiories? Our cat is 2 yo male and altered. The
other is 4 yo female spayed. We'll be feeding them separately until they get
familiar with each other. We wish to keep the stress to a minimum and
obviously we don't want any unhappy behavior like peeing on the bed and
such.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Old August 18th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

alanr wrote:
When we bring her here should I dispose of our meowzer's litter box and
purchase two new ones? Should they both be in the same location or
separate? If separate should this be initially for them to become accustomed
to each other - to keep territiories? Our cat is 2 yo male and altered. The
other is 4 yo female spayed. We'll be feeding them separately until they get
familiar with each other. We wish to keep the stress to a minimum and
obviously we don't want any unhappy behavior like peeing on the bed and

You don't need to get rid of the present box; your cat can use that one. Buy
another one and put the new cat in her own room for awhile, along with the
new box and her own food/water dishes. Give them each something to lay on,
like a towel and then bring it to your present cat to sniff and get used to
the scent; and bring his towel to her. Introductions can be made slowly; no
need to rush. Later when she's no longer in her own room, you can either
leave the box in there or bring it out. I keep one box on the main floor and
the other upstairs.

Riannon

Old August 18th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Here's a good article to read: http://catsinternational.org/article...roduction.html

Also, I suggest having at least three boxes in different locations
once the cats are integrated. It will keep "competition" for the
litter box to a minimum, and some cats prefer one box to urinate and
another to deficate.

While they are being introduced, you can use Feliway diffusers
(available at vet's offices and pet stores) to help calm them.
Old August 19th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
alanr

THX!
Old August 19th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
alanr

THX!