Sick Cat Symptoms...Suggestions Please

Old November 25th 04, 12:03 AM
Christina Websell

"M78Ultra" wrote in message
Again, thanks for all of the advice and nice comments. Last night, around
2
a.m. I couldn't sleep thinking about the cat and her having not eaten, I
went to the store and bought basically 1 of each type canned cat food.
Luckily she ate quite a bit of beef and liver food and drank quite a bit,
and she did the same this morning. There is no draining or bleeding, but
she
still is sticking out the tongue.(placing it slightly out directly
centered
inbetween her frount teeth) I will be monitoring her closely, but it is a
HUGE relief to see her eat. She had only one ml of medicine left and I am
just going to leave it.

If she is sticking her tongue out directly at the front, you might find that
her incisor teeth have fallen out, which is not unusual in an old cat. In
itself, it's not something to worry about.
The nose bleed is.

Tweed

Old November 25th 04, 01:44 AM
Christine Burel

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"M78Ultra" wrote in message
[...]

I'd make sure it is not a bad tooth because also at age 16 one of my cats
began eating much less than normal and I suspected it was tooth or
gum-related. Took him in and he did end up getting a bad tooth removed --
he did really well with the anaethesia -- he had kidney disease and they
supported him with IV fluids both during and after the procedure which
didn't take very long either. I'd sure not hesitate to try the
tooth-pulling if it's called for; he was soooo much happier afterwards!
Christine

Old November 27th 04, 05:32 PM
M78Ultra

Hello Group,
I ended up taking Shadow back to the vet because she had only still eaten 2
times since her medicine. The vet sedated her to do a full exam and found a
malignant tumor on her tongue. They suggested two options which the first
was steriods, and she possibly would regain an appetite, but may not, and it
still would not cure it,or just prolong her suffering a couple of weeks,or
the other option to go ahead and put her to sleep. With the cat already
under sedation I told them to go ahead and take her. A bit hard to
handle,having raised her and her brother since they were kittens, but she
was a great loving cat for 16 or so years. I just wanted the group to know
what the problem was. It was a malignant tumor on her tongue.
Thanks again for your ideas and suggestions and nice comments.

"M78Ultra" wrote in message
Again, thanks for all of the advice and nice comments. Last night, around

2
a.m. I couldn't sleep thinking about the cat and her having not eaten, I
went to the store and bought basically 1 of each type canned cat food.
Luckily she ate quite a bit of beef and liver food and drank quite a bit,
and she did the same this morning. There is no draining or bleeding, but

she
still is sticking out the tongue.(placing it slightly out directly

centered
inbetween her frount teeth) I will be monitoring her closely, but it is a
HUGE relief to see her eat. She had only one ml of medicine left and I am
just going to leave it.

"Marina" wrote in message
M78Ultra wrote:

The bleeding didn't start until after the medicine had been used

twice.
The
clear drainage(mucus I guess) is gone as it went away the evening I

took
her
to the vet. I wonder if the medicine has had something to do with
this.(dried up the membranes) It doesnt bleed all the time just saw it
happen twice when/after I was holding her down to give her the

medicine.
The first time part drool/mucus, part blood. The second time more

blood
trickle after I had wiped her face with a damp warm rag. The bleeding

didn't
last long. The medicine will be out tomorrow and if she doesnt eat by

then I
am definately going to set up another vet visit and take it from there
before she gets real weak.

I have to second the advice to see another vet. Putting them under at
that age may, indeed, be a bit risky, but sometimes the risk is worth
taking. My Frank, who will be 17 next Saturday, was anesthetized three
times inside three weeks this autumn because of tooth problems. There
just wasn't another way to deal with his problem (though one of the
times turned out unnecessary, but he survived in spite of elevated
kidney values).

We will be purring for your cat to be OK.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 27th 04, 06:22 PM
Marina

M78Ultra wrote:

Hello Group,
I ended up taking Shadow back to the vet because she had only still eaten 2
times since her medicine. The vet sedated her to do a full exam and found a
malignant tumor on her tongue. They suggested two options which the first
was steriods, and she possibly would regain an appetite, but may not, and it
still would not cure it,or just prolong her suffering a couple of weeks,or
the other option to go ahead and put her to sleep. With the cat already
under sedation I told them to go ahead and take her. A bit hard to
handle,having raised her and her brother since they were kittens, but she
was a great loving cat for 16 or so years. I just wanted the group to know
what the problem was. It was a malignant tumor on her tongue.
Thanks again for your ideas and suggestions and nice comments.

So sorry for your loss. Many soothing purrs are on the way from my two
to help you bear it. You did the right thing, saving her the suffering.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old November 27th 04, 07:03 PM
Dan M

Thanks again for your ideas and suggestions and nice comments.

I am *so* very sorry! That's such an awfully hard, painful decision to
make, but it's often the most loving thing we can do. Our purrs continue
to help you deal with the loss.

Dan
Old November 27th 04, 07:23 PM
Yoj

I'm so sorry! Obviously you made the only decision a loving cat slave
could make.

--
Joy

m...

Old November 27th 04, 07:25 PM
Elise

"M78Ultra" wrote in message
[...]

Comforting purrs for your aching heart and purrs for a peaceful journey for
Shadow
--
Elise (supervised by Gossamer & Jeeves)
dragonandthistle at snet dot net

Old November 27th 04, 09:49 PM
polonca12000

I'm so very sorry to hear this.
Hugs and purrs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"M78Ultra" wrote in message
m...
Hello Group,
I ended up taking Shadow back to the vet because she had only still eaten

2
times since her medicine. The vet sedated her to do a full exam and found

malignant tumor on her tongue. snip