OT Need a smile

Old May 19th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default OT Need a smile

hopitus wrote:

Well, in a better mood after dinner, hopitus begs forgiveness for its
outburst, you, too, Granby. In last 48 hours have been called a left-
wing liberal, a creature that seethes hatred and venom, and today a
man...guess being called a man wasn't too bad on further thought....

If someone called me a liberal, I'd put my hands on my hips and go,
"Who you callin' liberal, hon??" In my circle, "liberal" means "sellout".
Not very flattering.

I would consider myself a "progressive", which is more lefty than
liberal, but not as much as radical. I admire radicals (on the left,
she hastens to say, having seen all too many radicals on the right
of late), but I have to face facts - I am not one. It simply isn't
my style. I'm too fond of safety, I guess.

Back to rimshots...

I know you ladies have heard a rimshot, not the basketball kind,
that's silent, LOL.

Once again, I don't know what you're referring to. An SBD, perhaps?
Anyway, how can we hear a rimshot that's silent??

Have you noticed sometimes
when someone on tv talkshow or evening guest/host tv says something
funny or
outrageous there is a loud noise like a short drum roll followed by
either a metallic crack or cymbal crash? That's a 'rimshot'.'

OK, yeah. I always called that "ba-dum-bum!" It's useful when someone
cracks an extremely corny joke. I guess it comes down to the same thing.

So was this site supposed to do the drum-roll-and-cymball thing?
Because I didn't hear nuttin'.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old May 19th 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

hopitus wrote:
On May 18, 10:10 pm, wrote:
hopitus wrote:

[...]

Honest, I don't know why you couldn't get the sound. Andy got it, and
I went back and over and over heard it myself. Relieved to see that
at
least you were able to identify it with my tv references, LOL. Never
mind
Letterman...it's just that I've heard more rimshots from his band
director
Paul than on any other show.
I've been enlightened again! This evening! I had no idea there are
people
who use their PC'S for long lengths of time with the sound card turned
off!
Never thought about it until this thread....personally I never use a
PC w/o
music of some kind, usually my fave singer, Laura Branigan, now not of
this earth but preserved in sound and video on myspace (better sound
quality than youtube) and elsewhere. Laura is belting 'Gloria' at full
volume
as well as others of her hits of the 80's. There is a special place in
my
heart for this singer. When I was finishing up packing and discarding
in
FL just prior to the closing date of selling my house there, some pals
of
mine wanted to take me out one last time for goodbye and we went to
a bar in downtown Miami where Gloria was appearing....for a $10 cover
charge...for one night only. What a sad comedown for a star of the
80's
when I lived in Bay Area, CA and she was at her peak, touring in San
Jose, where I saw her then. She was very gracious and greeted us
warmly
when we went backstage after her show and told her we had been fans
all
those years. That was April, 2004...in June I was here in MileHigh for
good,
and in August Laura Branigan died in her sleep from a brain aneurysm
at
age 37.
I wonder now how many rpca friends post and surf with sound off their
PC.s
or am I a weirdo with the tunes while doing so?

I have headphones plugged in, but don't usually wear them. The headphones
prevent any sudeen noises from disturbing people, cats, and work
supervisors, but are easily accesable and don't need alot of mucking aorund
when I*do* want to listen to something on the PC.

Yowie

Old May 19th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

I've been enlightened again! This evening! I had no idea there are
people who use their PC'S for long lengths of time with the sound
card turned off!

I just turn off the speakers. The sound card is still there and ready
to go should I want to listen to something.

Never thought about it until this thread....personally I never use
a PC w/o music of some kind

I do listen to music on my PC a fair amount, but when I'm not doing
that, then the sound is off. Way too many websites have annoying sound
effects or atrocious music, the computer itself is always beeping and
dinging at me (I know how to change my settings so it doesn't do that,
but it's just easier to turn off the speakers - one button). And one
day I realized how much I couldn't stand the sound of Bubbels when they
popped. I'm very sensitive to noises and I get annoyed by them easily.

Laura Branigan, now not of
this earth but preserved in sound and video on myspace (better sound
quality than youtube) and elsewhere. Laura is belting 'Gloria' at full
volume as well as others of her hits of the 80's.

Total Eclipse of the Heart brings back a few memories for me...

When I was finishing up packing and discarding in
FL just prior to the closing date of selling my house there, some pals
of mine wanted to take me out one last time for goodbye and we went to
a bar in downtown Miami where Gloria was appearing...

I know you meant Laura - if Gloria was appearing in downtown Miami, it
was probably Gloria Estefan.

for a $10 cover
charge...for one night only. What a sad comedown for a star of the
80's

That's sad. But maybe she wanted it that way. I imagine that stardom
has as many pressures and stresses as it does rewards and excitement.

in August Laura Branigan died in her sleep from a brain aneurysm
at age 37.

Wow, that's so young. Scary.

I wonder now how many rpca friends post and surf with sound off their
PC.s or am I a weirdo with the tunes while doing so?

You're probably in the majority.

Old May 19th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Total Eclipse of the Heart is by Bonnie Tyler. I'm a big fan of hers. I
usually have the sound on, but sometimes wear headphones and try not to
sing. It disturbs the humans. The cats seem to like it. Rob says that is
because I sound like I'm in heat.

Pam S.

Old May 20th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

Estefan is a great entertainer and puts
on a great show; she lives on one of those gated islands you see in
the Bay
down there on CSI Miami from the air. But she has one of the leanest,
meanest,
bodyguard posse I have ever seen. Don't really blame her, though. She
and her
family have had many death threats (being Cuban doesn't help) and you
gotta do what you gotta do.

Death threats? Why?

Old May 20th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

You have no way of knowing this and it's pretty boring to non-
Hispanics,

Not true. I find this quite interesting.

there are two factions of Cuban
immigrants in my hometown area...those who favor the Castro government
and want to resume trade, visiting rights for not only themselves but
all American citizens, and a total end to the embargo ongoing for many
years now. The other faction favors continuing the embargo and leaving
everything as it is and has been per US government edicts.

G. Estefan may have come here as a little kid FAIK but she and Emilio
have a lotta money and would make fantastic hostages for either
kidnapping or as collateral for other action by political factions.

Any idea which side she sympathizes with? (Who is Emilio, btw?)

FYI you might find it interesting that unllike the Mexicans, who are
getting the brunt of the "immigration - illegal" hoopla and targeting...
Cubans are considered, officially, by our gov't. to be 'persecuted'
immigrants, fleeing for their lives and freedom, and the deal is if
they can make it across the 90-mile waterway between FL and northern
Cuba, they're *in*, automatically protected by USA

Oh, sure. And think about how many times Haitians have been turned back.
Ah, but they were running from a right-wing dictator, so our gov't
isn't going to show them any sympathy. Don't want to anger our "friends"
after all. It's totally a double standard.

They come in awful, rickety boats and many times don't make it and
die by drowning. Now, did you learn something new?

Yes, I didn't realize there was such a strong pro-Castro faction in
Miami. I just assumed that anyone there would have left Cuba because
they were anti-Castro.

Old May 21st 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=

bastXXXette@
Any idea which side she sympathizes with? (Who is Emilio, btw?)

Gloria's husband.

Kyla

Old May 21st 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

hopitus wrote:

As I said, I am not sure but believe she immigrated to FL before
Castro's coup and following rule.

She would have to be at least 50 years old for that to be true - is she
that old?

time-out

OK, back. I just looked her up on www.imdb.com - she was born in 1957.
Who knew?? I thought she was much younger than that.

Anyway, if she emigrated before Castro's coup then she was brought as
an infant.

The other side IMHO - and I say this as a 'gringa' -non-Hispanic -
has failed to move on with their lives, insistent on going back over
there for one
reason....family is a pretty strong pull, forget liking Castro - or
another - and failing
to realize they in their small numbers are not going to pull any
strings with the
Big Kahunas in D.C. to change things.

I'm sure you're right about the Kahunas, but geez, you're talking about
family here. Kind of hard to "move on" from that, if you left your kid
behind. Or your parents, etc...