My first purr request

Old February 28th 05, 06:23 PM
Mary

"Lorraine" wrote

Ok... another update. Sorry that it's taken so long to get back.
Carter's doing fine.

[...]

Any more purrs would probably best directed in the way of Mama's sanity
at this point. Carter's doing fine. I took a few pics of her in the
hospital yesterday. http://www.raineforest.com/gallery/carter2

Thank you for all the purrs, thoughts and prayers.

Oh, she is just lovely! Purrs to Carter for good health!!

Old February 28th 05, 09:23 PM
Tanada

Lorraine wrote:

She put up a good fight against
all those nurses that had ganged up on her. She got her revenge against
one of them when she let loose while the nurse was taking her temp.
(TMI. Sorry.) I think she's mostly enjoying her hospital stay as the
only time she's not being held is during diaper changes and vital
checking. We found out this morning having someone there at all times
was probably a good thing as they neglected to give her a security
bracelet when she was checked in. Someone in the family has had her in
sight since she got there.

LOL, I bet Carter is loving her stay at the hospital, now that the
poking is pretty much over. All that holding and loves....she is going
to be one spoiled little lady when they get her home. Purrs for mom and
dad to get some sleep and for Carter to learn to live without being held
constantly.*

*I know this from experience. When Mandy was five months old, I have to
have an operation. We were stationed at Ft Campbell at the time and
Rob's chain of command decided that he couldn't have leave while I was
in the hospital, but could have a month after I was out of the hospital.
So they arranged for Rob to put the three kids into day care. The
earliest age they would take a baby was six months. So the day care
center fudged the paperwork and Mandy joined her brother at the center.
After a couple of days, Rob couldn't figure out why Mandy cried unless
she was being held. Turned out that one of the workers fell in love
with little Mandy (she was an adorable baby, I don't know what happened
since) and held her from 6 am until Rob picker Mandy up at 4 pm. The
only time that kid was not being held was when she was having her diaper
changed. It was not an easy time for any of us.

Pam S.
Old February 28th 05, 09:26 PM
Tanada

Lorraine wrote:

Thank you all very much for the purrs. It's looking like they worked
once again.

Well, we think everything is going to be OK. Poor baby did more crying
in a couple hours today than she's had to do her entire life.

I forgot to tell you, Miss Carter is one of the sweetest little ones
I've ever seen. Right up there with the Yowlet, Catherine Salter, and
Miss Hannah Eve (God, I miss her so much)

Pam S.
Old February 28th 05, 09:33 PM
Cheryl

On Mon 28 Feb 2005 01:16:42p, Lorraine wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Any more purrs would probably best directed in the way of Mama's
sanity at this point. Carter's doing fine. I took a few pics of
her in the hospital yesterday.
http://www.raineforest.com/gallery/carter2

Of course! More purrs on the way for your grandbaby. She's adorable,
BTW! That's strange about the bracelet, I wonder why they missed
that? Any way, glad the fever broke and here's hoping it is gone for
good. More purrs for Carter's mama.

--
Cheryl
Old February 28th 05, 09:52 PM
polonca12000

Continued purrs and best wishes for Carter to recover completely and really
soon,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Lorraine" wrote in message
Ok... another update. Sorry that it's taken so long to get back.
Carter's doing fine.

So far all tests have come back with good results. Most of the time, her
temp has been ranging between 99.5 and 100. Night before last, her temp
rose again in the middle of the night -- up to 100.7. However, it went
back down again, and for the last 18 hours or so it's been back to a
normal range with no fever at all.

Carter has not really acted sick at all through this. snip

Old March 2nd 05, 12:35 PM
Adrian

Lorraine wrote:
snip
Any more purrs would probably best directed in the way of Mama's
sanity at this point. Carter's doing fine. I took a few pics of her
in the hospital yesterday. http://www.raineforest.com/gallery/carter2

Thank you for all the purrs, thoughts and prayers.

Lorraine

Continuing purrs.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old March 4th 05, 11:39 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Sorry for the belated response; I just got to reading this thread. Poor
little Carter. DH has had many spinal taps, and he hates them. I can't
imagine having to do that to such a tiny baby =/

On 2005-02-27, Lorraine penned:
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:43:09 -0600, Lorraine
wrote:

First one, and I'm so scared.

My SIL just called and my one-month-old granddaughter is being admitted to
the hospital for at least overnight. She's running a high fever and other
than that I don't know anything. I was just holding her last night and she
was cranky, but no fever at that time.

Thank you all very much for the purrs. It's looking like they worked once
again.

Well, we think everything is going to be OK. Poor baby did more crying in a
couple hours today than she's had to do her entire life.

My daughter went to the breastfeeding clinic this morning because Carter was
so cranky. She wanted to see if they thought she was colicky (how does one
spell that?) or something else was going on. She has had trouble getting
Carter to latch correctly the last couple of days so she was getting that
checked out, too. Veronica (daughter) happened to mention that she seemed
like she was cold a lot, so they took her temp. She had 100.6. 100.4 or
over on a baby less than 2 months is hospital check-in time. In the mean
time, Carter had vomited back up what little they had gotten her to eat at
the clinic.

The doctor is thinking virus, but they did a spinal tap, collected urine and
blood for a CBC among other tests, and started an IV. The also gave her two
different types of antibiotics. They are double checking for Group B strep
because Veronica tested positive before Carter's birth, but was not able to
get antibiotics in labor because labor didn't last long enough. Since her
water broke within 45 minutes of the time Carter was born, we were told the
risk was pretty low anyway. It makes Grandma feel much better that they're
double checking anyway, and it's my understanding that the antibiotics will
take care of it for sure.

Her spinal fluid was clear and initial test results were good. They have to
wait 24 hours for 80% of the bacterial things they're testing for. 48 hours
will clear another 18% and 72 hours for the remaining 2%. The doctor who is
on call for the weekend said he wanted her in there for only 48 hours and
will pass that on to the next doctor. Some doctors will keep them in for 72
hours, but he said he didn't see the need. At that point, they'll have one
stir-crazy mother on their hands and will probably be glad to be rid of her.

When I left a bit ago, Mother and child were resting comfortably in an
oversized baby bed. Carter has nursed several times and has been keeping
everything down.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and purrs. I really hope the worst is
over.

Lorraine

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Purr request (long) Elise Cat anecdotes 59 November 26th 04 02:09 AM
Purr request Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 45 October 31st 04 01:02 PM
Purrs on the way for Frank's surgery Sam Nash Cat anecdotes 36 October 28th 04 10:36 PM
It's Back TW, Purr Request badwilson Cat anecdotes 44 August 13th 04 10:34 PM
Human Purr Request Az Cat anecdotes 19 December 15th 03 06:28 AM