Persia and the White Gloves

Old December 20th 03, 02:22 AM
jmcquown

Default Persia and the White Gloves

I was born in the wrong time; seriously. I collect vintage clothing and
don't mind at all walking around at a Civil War reenactment wearing a
corset, corset cover, and hoop skirt

My mother (who is about to turn 79) told me back in the 1940's they used to
rub their hands with vaseline and wear white cotton gloves to bed, to keep
their hands soft. I went her one better. I found this stuff called "Bag
Balm" at Walgreens (or from the Vermont Country Store online). It was
intended for use on cows udders, to prevent them from getting chapped in the
cold. But also recommended as a hand treatment. It's extremely greasy, so
the white cotton gloves were a MUST.

I applied some of this, then went to bed with the gloves on. Persia jumped
up... spotted the gloves and immediately *attacked*. "I'll save you Momma!"
She wrapped herself around my arm and was kicking while yanking at the
fingertips with her teeth trying to pull the glove off my hand....

When I finished laughing and gently disengaged her, I let her sniff the
glove and stroked her while it was on my hand. She was hesitant, but
finally figured out oh, this is okay if Momma says so.

BTW, Bag Balm is really great for dry chapped hands. Just make sure your
cat knows white cotton gloves are okay, first

Jill

Old December 20th 03, 02:56 AM
Jo Firey

And anyone looking for white cotton gloves they sell them in the drug store
close the bandaids and ankle wraps and that sort of stuff. In all sizes.
They are seriously useful if your hand is injured and you are having
trouble keeping it bandaged.

Jo

--
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who
insisted we invent houses and discover fire." -- Khiem Tran
news

Old December 20th 03, 06:51 AM
Yoj

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
[...]

Bag Balm also makes a good cuticle softener, and is good for softening
calluses on your hands too. I use it all the time, but I don't wear
gloves. I just put in a small amount and rub it in. It is absorbed
fairly quickly. The problem is, I'm running out, and I haven't been
able to find it again.

Joy

Old December 20th 03, 08:03 AM
jmcquown

Yoj wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
I was born in the wrong time; seriously.

BTW, Bag Balm is really great for dry chapped hands. Just make sure
your cat knows white cotton gloves are okay, first

Jill

Bag Balm also makes a good cuticle softener, and is good for softening
calluses on your hands too. I use it all the time, but I don't wear
gloves. I just put in a small amount and rub it in. It is absorbed
fairly quickly. The problem is, I'm running out, and I haven't been
able to find it again.

Joy

Joy,

If your local drug store like Walgreen's doesn't sell it (or Moo Cream!),
try
www.vermontcountrystore.com

Jill

Old December 21st 03, 02:24 PM
Christine Burel

Living out here in Albuquerque (where the humidity is often non-existent), I
usually get bleeding cracks in my fingers during winter, and the best stuff
I ever found was a foot cream made by a company called Barielle. I can only
find it in a specialty pharmacy now but it is very concentrated and lasts a
long time. Here's a link I found online:
http://www.skinstore.com/store/produ...&pro dID=1055
Christine
"CATherine" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:22:26 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:
snip

BTW, Bag Balm is really great for dry chapped hands. Just make sure your
cat knows white cotton gloves are okay, first

Jill

What a great protector you have. :-)

I am in the home health care line of work and we use a lot of bag balm
and udder cream. It has medicines in it for healing. And sometimes we
use it as a lubricating moisture barrier in skin folds. But it is
greasy and smelly. Sometimes we use Crisco for very dry skin.

CATherine

Old December 21st 03, 03:23 PM
polonca12000

Oh, what a good girl Persia is to protect you from those *evil* gloves.
Thanks for the story, I loved it.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

news

Old December 21st 03, 09:43 PM
Hopitus2

Yes, yes, I used to use that cream years ago in the dry clime of Sacramento.
It was originally some kind of formula to keep horses' hooves in good shape
(!) but really softens hands' skin. Good stuff. You can still find it in
cosmetic departments of dept. stores but you gotta ask where it is.

:
http://www.skinstore.com/store/produ...&pro dID=1055
: Christine
: "CATherine" wrote in message
: ...
: On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:22:26 -0600, "jmcquown"
: wrote:
: snip
: