Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Old February 10th 05, 04:13 AM
Mischief

Default Gung Hay Fat Choy!

In case you don't know what that means, "Gung Hay Fat Choy" means,
"Happy Chinese New Year!"

I don't know if anyone else here is Chinese, but I'm 4th generation
Cantonese. My family has been here since the early 1900s.

My great-great-grandfather on my dad's side got a special exemption
certificate to come to the US (Cause the US had put a ban on Chinese
immigration at that time)

My great-great-grandfather on my mom's side came to Ensenada Mexico and
then snuck into San Diego on a fishing boat.

Normally I go all out and cook a feast, but i'm so busy this year, I
just ordered out.

Happy Chinese New Year!

Kristi

Old February 10th 05, 04:17 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article .com,
"Mischief" wrote:

In case you don't know what that means, "Gung Hay Fat Choy" means,
"Happy Chinese New Year!"

I don't know if anyone else here is Chinese, but I'm 4th generation
Cantonese. My family has been here since the early 1900s.

My great-great-grandfather on my dad's side got a special exemption
certificate to come to the US (Cause the US had put a ban on Chinese
immigration at that time)

My great-great-grandfather on my mom's side came to Ensenada Mexico and
then snuck into San Diego on a fishing boat.

Normally I go all out and cook a feast, but i'm so busy this year, I
just ordered out.

Happy Chinese New Year!

And to you! We really should have a feast...I have been known to get
together six or eight friends and set up a community assembly line for
dim sum.
Old February 10th 05, 04:39 AM
Jo Firey

"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...
In case you don't know what that means, "Gung Hay Fat Choy" means,
"Happy Chinese New Year!"

I don't know if anyone else here is Chinese, but I'm 4th generation
Cantonese. My family has been here since the early 1900s.

My great-great-grandfather on my dad's side got a special exemption
certificate to come to the US (Cause the US had put a ban on Chinese
immigration at that time)

My great-great-grandfather on my mom's side came to Ensenada Mexico and
then snuck into San Diego on a fishing boat.

Normally I go all out and cook a feast, but i'm so busy this year, I
just ordered out.

Happy Chinese New Year!

Kristi

What year is this? I haven't been paying attention like I usually do.

We have a large Chinese American community in Marysville and one of the
biggest local events is the Bok Kai parade in March. We have a really nice
dragon and lots of San Francisco area stuff comes here then too. There are
always really nice parade posters with whichever animal is current on it.

Happy lunar new year!

Jo

Old February 10th 05, 04:47 AM
badwilson

Jo Firey wrote:
"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Year of the Rooster. There's been some firecrackers in our
neighbourhood and Vino ran and hid under the table like a little wussy
pussy. LOL! He's not usually scared of noises like that but I guess
these firecrackers were just too close to the house (maybe 20 feet
away). He wasn't intimidated for long though, came out from under the
table and layed under his scratching post.
People here in Thailand are driving around with bouquets of orchids
tied to the grille's of their cars. I think it's for good luck.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Old February 10th 05, 05:09 AM
Gabey8

Happy Chinese New Year to you, too!

Or, as Captain and Stanley would say, Happy Chinese MEW Year! )

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old February 10th 05, 05:34 AM
Yowie

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
In article .com,
"Mischief" wrote:

In case you don't know what that means, "Gung Hay Fat Choy" means,
"Happy Chinese New Year!"

I don't know if anyone else here is Chinese, but I'm 4th generation
Cantonese. My family has been here since the early 1900s.

My great-great-grandfather on my dad's side got a special exemption
certificate to come to the US (Cause the US had put a ban on Chinese
immigration at that time)

My great-great-grandfather on my mom's side came to Ensenada Mexico and
then snuck into San Diego on a fishing boat.

Normally I go all out and cook a feast, but i'm so busy this year, I
just ordered out.

Happy Chinese New Year!

And to you! We really should have a feast...I have been known to get
together six or eight friends and set up a community assembly line for
dim sum.

MMmmmmm.... Yum cha.

Happy Year of the Rooster to everyone!

Yowie ( a chook herself)

Old February 10th 05, 06:36 AM

Mischief wrote:
In case you don't know what that means, "Gung Hay Fat Choy" means,
"Happy Chinese New Year!"

Gong xi fa cai, Xin nian kuai le!

I'm not Chinese, but I do live in Hong Kong, and we've been celebrating
hard for the last couple of days - parades, music, decorations, lots
and lots of nice food and - tonight - the big firework display across
the harbour!

I'm particularly fond of all the lucky snack trays that abound at this
time of year - candied lotus roots, gold-wrapped chocolate money,
coconut sweets... Mmm!

Enjoy your celebrations (lai see doh lay!)
Cheers,
Al.

Old February 10th 05, 11:53 AM
polonca12000

Happy Chinese New Year to you too,
--
Polonca & Soncek

oups.com...

Old February 10th 05, 02:16 PM
Victor Martinez

Mischief wrote:
Happy Chinese New Year!

Happy Chinese New Year to you too!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 10th 05, 02:38 PM
CatNipped

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Mischief" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Not surprisingly, I was born in 1951 - the year of the cat!!! ; What
about you guys?

http://www.astro-uk.dircon.co.uk/chinese_years.html

Hugs,

CatNipped