[ot] Kentucky Derby

Old May 11th 05, 10:05 PM
Jo Firey

Subject: FW: Churchill Downs

A group of second, third, and fourth graders accompanied by two female
teachers went on afield trip to Churchill Downs, the local racetrack, to
see and learn about thoroughbred horses.

When it was time to take the children to the bathroom, it was decided that
the girls would go with one teacher and the boys would go with the other.

The teacher assigned to the boys was waiting outside the men's room when
one of the boys came out and told her that none of them could reach the
urinal.

Having no choice, she went inside, helped the boys with their pants and
began hoisting the boys up one by one, holding onto their "wee-wee's" to
direct the flow away from their clothes.

As she lifted one, she couldn't help but notice that he was unusually well
endowed.

Trying not to show that she was staring, the teacher said, "You must be in
the fourth grade."

"No, ma'am," he replied. "I'm the jockey riding Silver Arrow in the
seventh."

Old May 12th 05, 02:55 PM
Karen

ROFL. Too funny. Did you see all the jockeys on Letterman the other night.
That cute Jeremy Rose (who I think I get to meet) was just adorable. Mike
SMith (rider of the winning Giacomo) did the top 10 list.

Old May 21st 05, 07:48 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On Mon, 09 May 2005 13:28:55 -0500, Karen wrote:

The media people for Alex have asked me to come to the Preakness!!! They are
good personal friends with Tim Ritchey (the trainer of Afleet Alex) and I
should get to meet some of the horses!! I'm pretty excited. Hopefully, all
arrangements will hold up. I will get to see my first LIVE race!! AND meet
the horses and people. I'm still a bit overwhelmed.

So Karen, did you get to go? How was it?????

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha
(writing several hours before the race takes place)
Old May 21st 05, 09:01 PM
Shiral

Know I'm terribly jealous. =o) And me clear over on the wrong coast for
this event. That's verra cool, I hope the arrangements don't fall
through. Have fun!

Melissa

Old May 21st 05, 11:29 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On Sat, 21 May 2005 13:48:40 -0500, Jeanne Hedge
wrote:

On Mon, 09 May 2005 13:28:55 -0500, Karen wrote:

The media people for Alex have asked me to come to the Preakness!!! They are
good personal friends with Tim Ritchey (the trainer of Afleet Alex) and I
should get to meet some of the horses!! I'm pretty excited. Hopefully, all
arrangements will hold up. I will get to see my first LIVE race!! AND meet
the horses and people. I'm still a bit overwhelmed.

So Karen, did you get to go? How was it?????

ps -

Did you guys about have heart failure coming out of the turn at the
head of the stretch?

Oh, and what did you wear - you might have been on national TV, as
they focused on the "Afleet Alex gang" during a TV replay of that
moment (*such* language!

And how was the celebratory champagne? g

for those who missed it:
1. Afleety Alex
2. Scrappy T
3. Giacomo

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha
(written AFTER the race)
Old May 21st 05, 11:36 PM
Christine Burel

wrote:

[...]

Oops, missed this and posted another thread, too. Yay, Afleet Alex for
staying safe and winning!-- I remember the Alysheba race in 1987, also.
Looked for Karen but didn't see her.
Christine

Old May 21st 05, 11:46 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On Sat, 21 May 2005 16:36:45 -0600, "Christine Burel"
wrote:

Oops, missed this and posted another thread, too. Yay, Afleet Alex for
staying safe and winning!-- I remember the Alysheba race in 1987, also.
Looked for Karen but didn't see her.
Christine

Karen wasn't with them in Louisville, and the came in 3rd. She was in
Baltimore with them and they won.

Maybe the "Alex Gang" will ask their lucky charm to join them in New
York for the Belmont? ^.^

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old May 22nd 05, 03:51 AM
CATherine

On Mon, 09 May 2005 13:28:55 -0500, Karen wrote:

The media people for Alex have asked me to come to the Preakness!!! They are
good personal friends with Tim Ritchey (the trainer of Afleet Alex) and I
should get to meet some of the horses!! I'm pretty excited. Hopefully, all
arrangements will hold up. I will get to see my first LIVE race!! AND meet
the horses and people. I'm still a bit overwhelmed.

How exciting! I hope you take your camera. And have a great time. My
DH and I used to live as caretakers on a ranch with thoroughbreds,
mostly taking care of the brood mares and foals. I love those horses.

--
CATherine
Old May 23rd 05, 08:39 PM
Karen

in article , Jeanne Hedge at
wrote on 5/21/05 1:48 PM:

On Mon, 09 May 2005 13:28:55 -0500, Karen wrote:

The media people for Alex have asked me to come to the Preakness!!! They are
good personal friends with Tim Ritchey (the trainer of Afleet Alex) and I
should get to meet some of the horses!! I'm pretty excited. Hopefully, all
arrangements will hold up. I will get to see my first LIVE race!! AND meet
the horses and people. I'm still a bit overwhelmed.

So Karen, did you get to go? How was it?????

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha
(writing several hours before the race takes place)

I was not fancy. I knew I would be at the barn and wore nice deep green
jeans and a Cold Water Creek geranium colored jacket and pale yellow T.
Actually, I was being SWAMPED at the lemonade stand selling Alex posters.
That poster you saw in the NBC piece was mine. I also gave them the motto
Courage, Strength, Heart. That is why they asked me to come. And here is my
report:

Not only was I there but I was there with the winning team! I got to hang
out with Afleet Alex at the barn. I met the trainer and had breakfast and
dinner with him on Sunday. I was at the party the night before after the
race. Met the horse, met the owners. I have become friends over the last
year with the people who run media interference for Afleet Alex's trainer
and owners. They asked me down because the used an image I made from a photo
of Afleet Alex winning the Arkansas Derby and Alex Scott and gave them their
motto: Courage, Strength, Heart. If you saw any of the coverage, that was my
poster! So, I am back now and elated. Tired. A lot sad to leave. If you saw
the race, Afleet Alex was cut off and clipped heels with another horse at
the top of the stretch, fell to his knees, kept the jockey on, got up and
STILL won!! The trainer calls it the Immaculate Recovery. There was a little
angel named Alex Scott riding with Afleet Alex on Preakness day. She saved
MANY lives. Had he gone down so would half the field and there would have
been mortal injuries for both horses and jockeys. It was the most amazing
experience of my life and I know that people who do good things have good
done back now. I have no doubt that miracles happen. Keep the faith
always! (Alex is SUCH a nice horse. Calm, and a real camera hog!)

http://www.afleetalex.com

Old May 23rd 05, 08:55 PM
Jo Firey

"Karen" wrote in message
in article , Jeanne Hedge at
wrote on 5/21/05 1:48 PM:

[...]

Sounds fantastic.

So. Is he running the Belmont? Think he can handle the distance?

That fall recovery will be in sports coverage clips forever. I sure hope he
wasn't injured.

Jo