Emergency Purrs for Shadow

Old July 13th 04, 09:31 PM
Julie Snowshoe

Cheryl wrote:

Thank you guys. Shadow is gone.

I am so very sorry Cheryl. You and Shadow fought a good fight all these
years and together made a great team. You stood by his side when he
needed you and he stood by you when you needed him. And in the end, you
gave Shadow the greatest gift of love possible. Hobbes, Selena and Lacey
are sending purrs to you and in honor of Shadow and I shall light a
candle tonight to help guide his passage to the Bridge.

Gentle hugs and headbutts,
Julie, Hobbes, Selena and Lacey

Old July 13th 04, 09:32 PM
Gandalf

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:37:54 -0500, Cheryl wrote:

Thank you guys. Shadow is gone. I can't type much right now through
the tears but he'd lost too much blood, ruptured something in his
gut, ulcer or something else. I'm going to miss him so much, he's
been through so much and now he doesn't have to fight anymore. Mainly
Im so mad at the ER because they turned us away and I had to wait for
his regular TED. I don't think the ER could have done anything, but
waiting was just so helpless and I knew he was dying.

I'm so sorry to hear about Shadow.

I remember you once said he would head butt you if you were crying; now he can't
do that for you when you need him the most.

Purrs for Shadow, and for you, of course.

I will light a candle in my special seeping kitty candle holder for Shadow
tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha

Old July 13th 04, 11:00 PM
JoJo

Cheryl.

I am so sorry for your loss, you gave Shadow a great life. Condolences and
purrs coming your way.

JoJo

"Cheryl" wrote in message
In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.anecdotes", "Pat"
artfully composed this message
within on 13 Jul 2004:

Sending many purrs for you, Cheryl, in your time of sorrow.

I didn't see anything in the posts about Shadow being ill
recently until today and don't know what happened to him. He was
a wonderful cat.

Sorry, Pat, I couldn't elaborate until now. Many here who read a
couple of years ago know Shadow's history. He abruptly stopped
eating 2 years ago May, and had to have a feeding tube when he got
hepatic lipidosis. I had them do a biopsy, and he was diagnosed
with IBD (inflammatory bowel disease, sort of like Crohn's disease
in people). There were many many complications during his feeding
tube treatment, and he had to have a transfusion which it turned
out was from a donor cat who was positive with feline leukemia.
Shadow tested positive in subsequent tests, and it was determined
he was persistantly infected. So the treatment for feline leukemia
to boost the immune system was the opposite of what his bowel
disease needed because IBD is an auto-immune disease, immune system
on overload. The treatment for the IBD was prednisone, a steroid
which suppresses the immune system, opposite what the feline
leukemia needed. Catch 22. He's been hanging in there for a while
and mostly ok; playing a little, good appetite, a little too good,
had certain things that made him happy. I only wanted to keep him
comfortable with whatever time he had left. He showed me time and
time again that he wanted to live. Even this morning he tried to
eat because the prednisone made him hungry all the time and he
lived for his little bit of dry food. When he didn't, that is a big
red flag something is wrong. Then I found the blood. Then he
started drifting off. Then more blood. Then I saw it in his eyes
that he was ready to go. No matter how much you think you prepare
yourself, it never works.

--
Cheryl

Old July 14th 04, 12:11 AM
Yowie

Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Hugs and purrs. We'll light a candle for Shadow this evening, so when he
looks down for the Bridge he'll know another somebody is thinking about him.

Yowie

Emergency Purrs Karen Cat anecdotes 23 March 28th 04 08:13 PM
"Emergency" purrs pay off! EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) Cat anecdotes 13 November 12th 03 09:16 PM
"Emergency" purrs pay off! EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) Cat anecdotes 7 November 11th 03 05:51 AM
Emergency purrs urgently needed Daniel Mahoney Cat anecdotes 33 November 1st 03 12:10 AM