Kitten will only eat people food

Old May 10th 04, 02:04 AM
KellyH

Default Kitten will only eat people food

I'm posting this question for one of our shelter volunteers. She is a very
experienced foster provider, but is having difficulty with a stubborn little
kitten. I will pass along any suggestions to her. Thanks!!
---------
Hi all

Most of you are aware I am going thru a little trouble with Sydney (my 9 1/2
wk old foster). She will not eat any food having cat or kitten on the label
=) People food she loves. She has been to the vet's 2 times and both times
nothing was wrong with her. When I first got her 2 wks ago she wasn't
eating, then I got her on A/D. Some days she will eat it other days she
will not. One of those days that she didn't want to eat anything (no A/D
either) I tried every kind of cat/kitten food -- cheap stuff too. Nothing
but kept crying for food. Again, I didn't break open the people food or
formula. She didn't eat anything for a whole day -- force fed her and she
spit it out. I brought her to the vet's the next day and she needed fluids.
Now I have no idea what to do. She is very hungry and wants to eat but only
people food. I have fostered many kittens and this has never happened.
Usually they will not eat anything. Sydney is the type of kitten that will
go a day without eating just to get her way. I know in adults they say if
they are hungry they will eat -- I think it's different in kittens -- but
have no idea what to do. Any advice will help. I love her but she is
driving me bonkers!!! Also, today I caught her eating my niece's spaghetti
and corn -- when I pulled her away she was hissed.

One note -- other than the food problem she is totally fine. She was
dewormed twice already.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old May 10th 04, 02:35 AM
Barb

Take the labels off the cans of cat food and put people food labels on them.
Open the cans and show the kitten that's what you eat. (Just pretend.) If
that doesn't get her to eat cat food then I guess you'll be sharing your
food with her. (She has to eat to stay alive.)

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,