Everett is confused about mirrors

Old February 10th 08, 09:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Everett is confused about mirrors

LOL, tonight I was throwing a ball for Everett. The closet doors in my
bedroom (big floor-to-ceiling sliding doors) are mirrored, and they
really confound him. If the ball lands in front of the mirror, he
stands over it, looking first at the real ball, and then at the reflection
of the ball, not sure which one to bat at. And then he sees himself. OMG,
there's a *cat*! The first time I brought him into the bedroom, he was
quite alarmed, but I think by now he's figured out that the "other cat"
is no threat. But it still stops him for a second every time he sees
himself. And then, there's that other human! (ie, my reflection.) Yikes,
so many things in that room.

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old February 10th 08, 10:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

All three of my cats are confused by mirrors. Piglet being so cross eyed,
is four and still gets distressed by them. I had to take down the one on
the back of the bedroom door because it caused her so much stress. That was
ok by me, since that old lady moved into my house that only shows up when I
pass a mirror, I don't much care for them myself!

Old February 10th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Marina wrote in
:

wrote:
LOL, tonight I was throwing a ball for Everett. The closet doors in
my bedroom (big floor-to-ceiling sliding doors) are mirrored, and
they really confound him. If the ball lands in front of the mirror,
he stands over it, looking first at the real ball, and then at the
reflection of the ball, not sure which one to bat at. And then he
sees himself. OMG, there's a *cat*! The first time I brought him into
the bedroom, he was quite alarmed, but I think by now he's figured
out that the "other cat" is no threat. But it still stops him for a
second every time he sees himself. And then, there's that other
human! (ie, my reflection.) Yikes, so many things in that room.

lol. i don't have any full-length mirrors, so the cats haven't
experienced that, but when i have the blinds shut and the lights on,
you can see you reflection in the window. caliban is sometimes riveted
in one place, staring at the kitty in the window for ages.

Zak used to fight (for lack of a better word) with the cat in the mirror.
He looked like he was running with his front paws on the mirror like they
were boxing or something. After a while the screeching of his claws on the
glass would get to me and I would say "would you two knock it off!" I did
not want Zak to think I was singling him out!

Andy
Old February 10th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Outsider wrote:

Zak used to fight (for lack of a better word) with the cat in the mirror.
He looked like he was running with his front paws on the mirror like they
were boxing or something. After a while the screeching of his claws on the
glass would get to me and I would say "would you two knock it off!" I did
not want Zak to think I was singling him out!

LOL!!

Licky still does that occasionally. But otherwise, he doesn't in any
way acknowledge his own reflection. I think it's the cutest thing. He doesn't
make too much noise, at least.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old February 11th 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Outsider wrote:

Does Zak go really fast? Licky looks like he's working out for a
boxing match. I swear I've seen something like it on Planet's Funniest
Animals.

Yep. Like he would be running if he was horizontal instead of vertical.
It is extra funny if you imagine two cats trying to do that and staying in
sync. Zak is at the bridge now btw but this was one of my favorite things
he would do since I was not really sure what he _thought_ he was doing. It
was not really a fighting thing but what? Zak was all black except for a
broach, maybe it is a black cat thing Isn't Licky black?

He is mostly black, with an elegant triangle on his breast and a narrow
stripe of white down the belly. Plus white rear socks, and little white
"finger cots" on his front paws. (Just his toes are white in front.) And
lovely white whiskers. So he's really a tuxedo, but his face is mostly
black. (Oh, yeah, I forgot - he also has a white chin.)

Joyce
--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.