Feeding Thee Times a Day?

Old May 13th 05, 06:09 PM
Mary

Default Feeding Thee Times a Day?

My fat cat Buddha has been on a canned-food only
diet, with gradual, small reductions in the amount I feed her when she hits
a plateau. She is losing weight slowly and safely.

However, this cat is a real character, and very expressive, and she
definitely lets me know that she wants food more often. (Translation: she
bugs us relentlessly, jumping up and running to the kitchen and standing by
her dish every time anyone gets up to go anywhere, begging when we eat, and
even slapping at our feet when we walk by, just to get our attention. She is
also now waiting to be sure I am occupied and sneaking upstairs to get my
other cat's dry food. Very resourceful girl.)

I have read that there are health benefits in scheduled feedings as opposed
to free feeding. But would it hurt if I gave her three meals instead of two,
i.e. the same amount spread out over three feedings, one at 8 am, one at 2
pm, and one at 8 pm? It would make it easier on her and on us, I think.
However, I want to be sure to do the best thing for her health.

Old May 13th 05, 08:01 PM
bookbug2005

I have read that there are health benefits in scheduled feedings as
opposed
to free feeding. But would it hurt if I gave her three meals instead

of two,
i.e. the same amount spread out over three feedings, one at 8 am, one

at 2
pm, and one at 8 pm? It would make it easier on her and on us, I

think.
However, I want to be sure to do the best thing for her health.

Makes sense to me to feed her more often, as long as you are
maintaining the same amount of calories. Most people eat three times
per day.

On another note, I have 7 1/2 mo old kitten who I feed probably about
6-8 times a day because if I leave too much food down, he eats like a
glutton and then throws up. With the many small feedings, he's doing
just fine.

Michelle

Old May 13th 05, 10:39 PM
blueberries79

I would think so... arent they always saying in Europe they eat even more
meals than we do, but much smaller portions so they fill up faster? Maybe
the same would happen to your kitty, she eats smaller portions so her tummy
will shrink a little and she would not feel so hungry.

oups.com...

Old May 13th 05, 11:07 PM
Alex Panda

"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, we feed at 8am, reduced meal at 6pm and a little meal at 10pm - we
added the last one to ease his appetite overnight which seems to have
removed his need to go out and kill mice and bring them in.

Old May 13th 05, 11:24 PM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message
My fat cat Buddha has been on a canned-food only
diet, with gradual, small reductions in the amount I feed her when she

hits
a plateau. She is losing weight slowly and safely.

However, this cat is a real character, and very expressive, and she
definitely lets me know that she wants food more often. (Translation: she
bugs us relentlessly, jumping up and running to the kitchen and standing

by
her dish every time anyone gets up to go anywhere, begging when we eat,

and
even slapping at our feet when we walk by, just to get our attention. She

is
also now waiting to be sure I am occupied and sneaking upstairs to get my
other cat's dry food. Very resourceful girl.)

Hard-core grazers are sometimes difficult to convert. They're not really
hungry since they're consuming the same amount of calories/day, they're just
used to grazing because its been their routine for years.

I have read that there are health benefits in scheduled feedings as

opposed
to free feeding.

But would it hurt if I gave her three meals instead of two,
i.e. the same amount spread out over three feedings, one at 8 am, one at 2
pm, and one at 8 pm?

Absolutely not- as long as you don't increase her total daily caloric
intake.

Phil

Old May 14th 05, 12:12 AM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote :

But would it hurt if I gave her three meals instead of two,
i.e. the same amount spread out over three feedings, one at 8 am, one at

2
pm, and one at 8 pm?

Absolutely not- as long as you don't increase her total daily caloric
intake.

Super, then she will get three.

Old May 14th 05, 12:13 AM
Mary

"blueberries79" wrote in message
I would think so... arent they always saying in Europe they eat even more
meals than we do, but much smaller portions so they fill up faster? Maybe
the same would happen to your kitty, she eats smaller portions so her

tummy
will shrink a little and she would not feel so hungry.

Yep, maybe so. I am so thrilled that she is losing, but I don't
want to be cruel to her. Plus, she is such a badass, I'm a little
nervous about ****ing her off too much!

Old May 14th 05, 12:27 AM
Mary

"Alex Panda" wrote

Yep, we feed at 8am, reduced meal at 6pm and a little meal at 10pm - we
added the last one to ease his appetite overnight which seems to have
removed his need to go out and kill mice and bring them in.

Well that has to be nice for both of you. No more scraping the
little nasty mouse bits up off the floor for you and he has dinner
that does not try to run away.

Old May 14th 05, 10:29 AM
Brad

On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:12:17 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

"Phil P." wrote :

But would it hurt if I gave her three meals instead of two,
i.e. the same amount spread out over three feedings, one at 8 am, one at

2
pm, and one at 8 pm?

Absolutely not- as long as you don't increase her total daily caloric
intake.

Super, then she will get three.

End this thread right now please........it was as refreshing as a
spring rain.....kind.....informative ......thoughtful answers not a
cruel word or hint of sarcasm (Mary posted twice) way to go
sweety.......OP is happy and told us so.....man this is sweet......way
to go gang.....

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

A question about feeding canned food... SummerC Cat health & behaviour 120 September 25th 04 12:29 AM
OT-sort of--It was the worst of times...long Yoj Cat anecdotes 83 September 16th 04 04:44 AM
feeding strays suitta Cat health & behaviour 30 July 3rd 04 01:43 AM
Feeding dilemma Yoj Cat anecdotes 11 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
re feeding dilemma Jean H Cat anecdotes 1 August 24th 03 07:43 PM