Melba does not have cancer

Old January 19th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Default Melba does not have cancer

Hi the

My SIL has asked me to thank all of you for your thoughts, purrs, and
prayers for Melba. They got the test results back earlier than expected
and they were negative for cancer. She appears to have had a flare-up
of her IBS and is having some steriods for a while but seems to be
eating well now.

They were advised to wait until she is completely healed before bringing
a second cat into the house so my SIL's dad will take Sylvester when he
comes home today.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old January 19th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Susan M" wrote in message
Hi the

My SIL has asked me to thank all of you for your thoughts, purrs, and
prayers for Melba. They got the test results back earlier than expected
and they were negative for cancer. She appears to have had a flare-up of
her IBS and is having some steriods for a while but seems to be eating
well now.

They were advised to wait until she is completely healed before bringing a
second cat into the house so my SIL's dad will take Sylvester when he
comes home today.

Might I ask why they removed her spleen, then? It is a very painful
operation and seems it was not needed. I'd be asking questions about that.

Tweed

Old January 21st 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Christina Websell wrote:
"Susan M" wrote in message
Hi the

My SIL has asked me to thank all of you for your thoughts, purrs, and
prayers for Melba. They got the test results back earlier than expected
and they were negative for cancer. She appears to have had a flare-up of
her IBS and is having some steriods for a while but seems to be eating
well now.

They were advised to wait until she is completely healed before bringing a
second cat into the house so my SIL's dad will take Sylvester when he
comes home today.

Might I ask why they removed her spleen, then? It is a very painful
operation and seems it was not needed. I'd be asking questions about that.

My thought exactly. I gather that they hadn't seen a spleen of such a
size before. It had grown very big, folded over on itself and adhered
together. They didn't know if it would continue to grow or what and
thought that, since cancers also start there, it might be smart to nip
it in the bud. That's the official line. I heard that second hand.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old January 22nd 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Susan M" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Susan M" wrote in message
[...]

It's a pity that they didn't wait a little longer for a non-cancer diagnosis
to investigate why the spleen was enlarged before removing it. It is a
horribly painful operation. My poor Pearl was miserable about her spleen
op, emergency, doing the right thing for her at the time. I doubt I would
do it again to be honest, knowing what I know now.

Old January 23rd 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Christina Websell wrote:

It's a pity that they didn't wait a little longer for a non-cancer diagnosis
to investigate why the spleen was enlarged before removing it. It is a
horribly painful operation. My poor Pearl was miserable about her spleen
op, emergency, doing the right thing for her at the time. I doubt I would
do it again to be honest, knowing what I know now.

I talked to my SIL today and she was pretty upset. They're talking
about a feeding tube for a couple of *months*. Feeding by tube every 4
hours (they can't do that) and changing the dressing every day, two days
at the most. Even our regular TED doesn't like to change feeding tube
dressings. PLUS steroids for the IBD in perpetuity.

My SIL's feeling like she wasn't informed properly of the implications
of the spleen removal - they expected that she'd have the feeding tube
for a couple of weeks at the most and then be relatively ok. In this
case, they don't even know what kind of quality of life Melba will have
with her IBD let alone with the spleen removal. the IBD looked
significantly worse with this operation than when she was first
diagnosed and had surgical biopsies 8 years ago as a kitten. Don't know
the IBD prognosis on its own.

I would be hopping mad if I were them. They were quoted an outrageous
sum as the upper end of the surgery; however, they've maxed that out
*and* been charged an unconscionably high amount just for the additional
stay afterwards. All this with the under-stating of the side effects
and I'd be feeling pretty ripped off. All this for what quality of life
for the cat? Like you said, if it was for sure cancer then maybe - but
as a just-in-case measure I don't know. My opinion of the clinic is not
high at this moment. I think they prey on people who love their pets -
my bro and SIL look at their cat as their baby and wouldn't just let her
go without trying to do something. I think it got out of hand. Very
few people could afford to pay what they have had to pay.

Ugh.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old January 24th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Susan M wrote:

[...]

Oh no!
Lots and lots of purrs and hugs,
Polonca and Soncek

Old January 19th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Susan M wrote:

Hi the

My SIL has asked me to thank all of you for your thoughts, purrs, and
prayers for Melba. They got the test results back earlier than expected
and they were negative for cancer. She appears to have had a flare-up
of her IBS and is having some steriods for a while but seems to be
eating well now.

That is wonderful news!

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old January 19th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:59:46 -0700, Susan M wrote:

Hi the

My SIL has asked me to thank all of you for your thoughts, purrs, and
prayers for Melba. They got the test results back earlier than expected
and they were negative for cancer. She appears to have had a flare-up
of her IBS and is having some steriods for a while but seems to be
eating well now.

They were advised to wait until she is completely healed before bringing
a second cat into the house so my SIL's dad will take Sylvester when he
comes home today.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Great news! (Seems to be in short supply, lately,) I hope Melba gets
better ASAP!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Robert Heinlein

Life is very difficult. Once you understand that, life becomes easier.
-Buddha

Old January 19th 08, 06:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Susan M wrote:
Hi the

My SIL has asked me to thank all of you for your thoughts, purrs, and
prayers for Melba. They got the test results back earlier than expected
and they were negative for cancer. She appears to have had a flare-up
of her IBS and is having some steriods for a while but seems to be
eating well now.

They were advised to wait until she is completely healed before bringing
a second cat into the house so my SIL's dad will take Sylvester when he
comes home today.

What a relief it's not cancer! Glad that is all sorted out. Now you can
stop worrying about Star and Melba, and hopefully get a good night's
sleep soon.

Old January 19th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Susan M wrote:
Hi the

My SIL has asked me to thank all of you for your thoughts, purrs, and
prayers for Melba. They got the test results back earlier than
expected and they were negative for cancer. She appears to have had
a flare-up of her IBS and is having some steriods for a while but
seems to be eating well now.

They were advised to wait until she is completely healed before
bringing a second cat into the house so my SIL's dad will take
Sylvester when he comes home today.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

That is great news! I'm very relieved.