Trackers for cats?

Old June 27th 12, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Default Trackers for cats?

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
news
Per Matthew:
they have them already I have one on my laptop

it is the six of a small match box thin as a credit card cost me $4.95 a
month to be able to track it

GPS for the position and GSM for reporting?

Do you have a make/model or a link?
--
Pete Cresswell

I bought mine years ago it was off of eBay. The service is through my local
cell provider here that does tracking for elderly adult patients in nursing
homes

this is the closet one I can find with out opening up my laptop
http://personaltrackerdirect.com/?g-...FQSxnQodRD1sxw
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/...s-tracker.html

Old June 27th 12, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Matthew:
You should see the one the have for dementia and Alzheimer's
patients.
they can be a pendant or a watch they even have them that go in
their shoes. they can track with in 3 feet of the person

It's starting to sound to me like good things are on the horizon
viz-a-viz catching thieves. Sort of a Low-Jack system for
something like a bicycle... or a toolbox.... or even a TV....

Now there's a good idea. You could hide a GPS/transmitter device inside a
package of $100 bills, and give it to a bank robber. by the time they
started counting their money, the police would be knocking at their front
door.....

LOL they already have dye packs and that in smaller dominations at banks
they have had them for years at least here in Florida. Some idiots robbed a
bank here they grabbed a bank bag stuffed the money in it found the dye
pack through it away the bag had a tracker in it

Old June 28th 12, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per Matthew:
The service is through my local
cell provider here that does tracking for elderly adult patients in nursing
homes

this is the closet one I can find with out opening up my laptop
http://personaltrackerdirect.com/?g-...FQSxnQodRD1sxw

Thanks!... Now that I know the term or art: "Personal GPS
Tracker", I can poke around some more.

Looks to me like they're practically a commodity.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old June 28th 12, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

Yes, but a GPS tracking device hidden in the money itself is a much better
idea, because it will allow the police to fololow the thieves to their lair.
They use dye bombs now, but other than ruining the money, they don't do much
good.....

Old July 2nd 12, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:57:05 -0400, "Rhino"
wrote:

[snip everything else to get past a posting error about overly long lines]

There you go... It seems the future is here already.....

I'm impressed. It seemed reasonable that someone COULD come up with
something like that but I thought I might be overoptimistic to imagine such
things in the real world, especially in an affordable price range like the
ones Matthew's search revealed.

It seemed like the kind of thing that only millionaires might be able to
afford. I'm glad to see I'm wrong about that!

My cats are strictly indoor cats but I'm tempted to get trackers for both of
them because they do occasionally hide, either here or at my mother's, and
it can be a real challenge to find, even though the houses in question are
not that big.....

I was away for a week and am just catching up, but I've been using the
Loc8tor for years on my four cats. Mine go into my fenced-in backyard
when I'm home and this time of year, with the back door kept open, I
need it just to figure out which cats are in and which are out. They
have to be in before I leave the house.

It's also great for finding them inside the house. The range is fairly
limited (maybe 200 feet outside) but that's plenty for a cat.

One of my four cats (Scooter) came from outside the house and he still
has "out" priviliges for the rare times that he wants to go out the
front door. I can always track where he is.

Once I was away and a friend was staying at my house on petsitting
duty and Scooter was out during a snowstorm. The Loc8tor kept pointing
to the middle of the street but Scooter came home later without the
collar, which has the tag on it. When I came home a few days later I
found the tag was up in a tree overhanging the street.

They do work and really aren't very expensive. Every year I end up
needing a new tag or two, and the rubber splash-guards break after 6
months or so, but all in all it is a great thing to have. You do need
to mount the tags on a breakaway collar of course.
Old July 2nd 12, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

[snip everything else to get past a posting error about overly long lines]

There you go... It seems the future is here already.....

I'm impressed. It seemed reasonable that someone COULD come up with
something like that but I thought I might be overoptimistic to imagine such
things in the real world, especially in an affordable price range like the
ones Matthew's search revealed.

It seemed like the kind of thing that only millionaires might be able to
afford. I'm glad to see I'm wrong about that!

My cats are strictly indoor cats but I'm tempted to get trackers for both of
them because they do occasionally hide, either here or at my mother's, and
it can be a real challenge to find, even though the houses in question are
not that big.....

Oh, one more thing. The Loc8tor device that I have has nothing to do
with GPS. They are strictly IR type devices. There are plenty of GPS
tracking things but those require a monthly fee. I recently got an
email from Loc8tor advertising something like that but mine are
simpler and have no monthly cost.
Old July 9th 12, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dick Ballard[_2_]

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 14:09:32 -0400, dgk wrote:

Oh, one more thing. The Loc8tor device that I have has nothing to do
with GPS. They are strictly IR type devices. There are plenty of GPS
tracking things but those require a monthly fee. I recently got an
email from Loc8tor advertising something like that but mine are
simpler and have no monthly cost.

I've also been using the Loc8tor with our cats for several years. They
are actually RFID devices (Radio Frequency IDentification). The hand
held unit, which has a directional antenna, sends out an RF query, and
the collar tag (about the size of US quarter with two coin cells
inside) responds if it's code matches the query. The tag also blinks a
red LED and makes a high pitched sound which I assume the cat can hear
but I no longer can.

You can use multiple tags with the master unit, one for each animal.
You just select which one to look for from an on-screen menu.

I've been able to find our cats by walking down the street and
pointing the device in different directions until I get a signal. The
display shows the strength of the response and the audio pitch rises
as you get closer to the tag. The range is enough to cover our house
and yard and also the adjacent ones.
Old July 9th 12, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 18:17:19 -0700, Dick Ballard
wrote:

[...]

Ah yes, I meant RF. The mind is slowly going, along with the body.
Well, it's nice to keep things in sync. I just got a pair of new tags
since I was down to no spares. I really use it a lot right now since
the backyard is getting overgrown and there are just too many places
the cats can be.