feed Nutro?

Old November 16th 03, 03:31 AM
Steve Crane

(Steve G) wrote in message . com...
(Steve Crane) wrote in message . com...
(...)

Iams has successfully passed VOHC for TARTAR ONLY for two foods only.

Two dog foods.

It is important to understand that tartar, while the most visible part
of oral care, is not nearly as imortant as plaque. Tartar had

Had?

should of been has

(...)
health. Beyond the plaque and tartar claims will be claims regarding
gingivitis which would be the most important of any dental claims.
Prescription Diet Canine and Feline t/d both carry claims to reduce
gingivitis. Currently VOHC has no program in place to award approval
for gingivitis claims.

What is the basis of the t/d gingivitis claim (i.e., do you have any
cites regarding the testing of t/d)? I also wonder, in passing, why
t/d is a prescription diet.

Studies conducted by Dr. Ellen Logan provided the basis for the
gingivitis claims. t/d is a Prescription Diet primarily because of a
single issue. It is supposed to be used POST dental cleaning because
if the tooth is already loose in the mouth, t/d has enough "grabbing
power" that it will remove very loose teeth. I would expect that most
pet owners would be a bit upset to find Fluffy's teeth on the kitchen
floor. :-(

Must admit, what I'm most interested in regarding 'dental diets' is
how *little* one can feed, and still gain worthwhile benefits. Clearly
all such diets are tested when they are fed as the exclusive diet.

It's a direct linear line. 100% diet = 100% efficacy, 50%=50%, 10%=10%
You would have to define what a "worthwhile benefit" is I think. 10%,
50%, etc.

Old November 16th 03, 03:37 AM
Cheryl

In om,
Steve Crane composed with style:

t/d is a Prescription Diet primarily because of a
single issue. It is supposed to be used POST dental cleaning because
if the tooth is already loose in the mouth, t/d has enough "grabbing
power" that it will remove very loose teeth.

So in conclusion, t/d should only be prescribed if a cat has loose
teeth post-dental.

Old November 17th 03, 03:45 AM
Steve Crane

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...
In om,
Steve Crane composed with style:

t/d is a Prescription Diet primarily because of a
single issue. It is supposed to be used POST dental cleaning because
if the tooth is already loose in the mouth, t/d has enough "grabbing
power" that it will remove very loose teeth.

So in conclusion, t/d should only be prescribed if a cat has loose
teeth post-dental.

It should be prescribed by the veterinarian who has made the judgment
based upon what s/he knows of the animal.