Ice Water!

Old June 4th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Ice Water!

Being too lazy to walk to the kitchen to dump out the ice cubes from my
glass of water I dumped them in Persia's Drinkwell fountain instead. She'd
just had a drink of water but the sound of ice hitting the basin got her
attention. She just spent a good 5 more minutes lapping up (now) ice water.
I'd heard about giving cats ice water in the summer to encourage them to
drink more. This wasn't intentional or planned but it *is* hot today and
apparently she approves! I guess I'll be putting ice in the fountain for
the next few months

Jill

Old June 4th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 19:34:24 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

Being too lazy to walk to the kitchen to dump out the ice cubes from my
glass of water I dumped them in Persia's Drinkwell fountain instead. She'd
just had a drink of water but the sound of ice hitting the basin got her
attention. She just spent a good 5 more minutes lapping up (now) ice water.
I'd heard about giving cats ice water in the summer to encourage them to
drink more. This wasn't intentional or planned but it *is* hot today and
apparently she approves! I guess I'll be putting ice in the fountain for
the next few months

Jill

Ketzl definitely prefers cold water (from the fridge) to room-temperature
water... he has a fountain, too, and I drop ice into it a couple of times a
day.

--
Remember: It it To Laugh

http://tinyurl.com/2a5u8b

Old June 4th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Ketzl's Dad wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 19:34:24 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

Being too lazy to walk to the kitchen to dump out the ice cubes from my
glass of water I dumped them in Persia's Drinkwell fountain instead. She'd
just had a drink of water but the sound of ice hitting the basin got her
attention. She just spent a good 5 more minutes lapping up (now) ice water.
I'd heard about giving cats ice water in the summer to encourage them to
drink more. This wasn't intentional or planned but it *is* hot today and
apparently she approves! I guess I'll be putting ice in the fountain for
the next few months

Jill

Ketzl definitely prefers cold water (from the fridge) to room-temperature
water... he has a fountain, too, and I drop ice into it a couple of times a
day.

I didn't think ice water was GOOD for cats! (It's not
terribly good for humans, either - better merely cool or
room temperature.)

Old June 4th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
Ketzl's Dad wrote:
[...]

Cat Fancy magazine just had several articles about keeping cats cool in the
summer heat. One of the vets recommended putting ice cubes in their water
so I guess it's not bad for them. I'd much rather drink ice water than
tepid water, too. Of course, what I'd really like is an icy cold beer or a
glass of wine

Jill

Old June 4th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Being too lazy to walk to the kitchen to dump out the ice cubes from my
glass of water I dumped them in Persia's Drinkwell fountain instead.
She'd
just had a drink of water but the sound of ice hitting the basin got her
attention. She just spent a good 5 more minutes lapping up (now) ice
water.
I'd heard about giving cats ice water in the summer to encourage them to
drink more. This wasn't intentional or planned but it *is* hot today and
apparently she approves! I guess I'll be putting ice in the fountain for
the next few months

Shmogg has always preferred warm water - the stuff at the bottom of the
shower after I've finished is always the best. I must admit I prefer room
temperature water to the icey stuff, because I don't like the 'ice headache'
that happens otherwise. Perhaps Shmogg gets ice-headaches like his meowmie?

Yowie

Old June 4th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Being too lazy to walk to the kitchen to dump out the ice cubes from my
glass of water I dumped them in Persia's Drinkwell fountain instead.
She'd
just had a drink of water but the sound of ice hitting the basin got her
attention. She just spent a good 5 more minutes lapping up (now) ice
water.
I'd heard about giving cats ice water in the summer to encourage them to
drink more. This wasn't intentional or planned but it *is* hot today and
apparently she approves! I guess I'll be putting ice in the fountain for
the next few months

Jill

Every night a bed time Charlie collects the water bowls and glasses from
around the house and replaces them with clean bowls and glasses of ice
water.

Granted sometimes this takes a while if he gets distracted etc. And Jake
just about had an anxiety attack every night waiting for the arrival of the
clean glass of ice water on our bathroom sink. He is fine till the glasses
are collected but then he starts to die of thirst.

If cats gulped water I would worry its bad for them, but the do pretty much
sip. Ice water isn't usually bad for people unless they drink it too fast
or while their stomach is trying to digest food.

Kayla loves her ice water. A glass full of crushed ice and water is her
special treat when I go out for breakfast. She waits in the car and the
waitress gives me a "to go" glass for her.

Last thing at night she get a couple of ice cubes to chomp in her crate.
She gets crated when we go to bed for the night so I can be sure the first
thing she does every morning is to go outside.

Jo

Old June 4th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jun 3, 10:02 pm, "jofirey" wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

Snowball, my long-ago RB d*g, used to walk over to her water bowl and
just LOOK at it when I would wake up on a hot afternoon (I worked
nights and we lived without air conditioning) It was never that she
was out of water. The water bowl had one of those big jar feeders. I
would put a little ice in the bowl itself and more in the jar feeder
and she would have a nice long drink before her evening walk. Our vet
said she could see nothing wroing with it.

Will in New Haven

--

"Is that your nose or are you pushing a barge upstream." - something I
often asked Snowball

Old June 4th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 18:34:24 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Being too lazy to walk to the kitchen to dump out the ice cubes from my
glass of water I dumped them in Persia's Drinkwell fountain instead. She'd
just had a drink of water but the sound of ice hitting the basin got her
attention. She just spent a good 5 more minutes lapping up (now) ice water.
I'd heard about giving cats ice water in the summer to encourage them to
drink more. This wasn't intentional or planned but it *is* hot today and
apparently she approves! I guess I'll be putting ice in the fountain for
the next few months

Jill

When it gets hot, I fill extra bowls of water and freeze them for my
cats. That way, they have cool water for quite some time, and they
don't splash as much out. I also put some ice out for my outside cats
- they love it. On really hot days, I have seen them lay up against
the ice bowls to cool off.

Mishi
Old June 4th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

wrote:

[...]

I'd forgotten that. We freeze water in milk cartons in the summer and dump
it in the bird bath,

Jo

Old June 4th 07, 08:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

jmcquown wrote:

I didn't think ice water was GOOD for cats! (It's not
terribly good for humans, either - better merely cool or
room temperature.)

Indeed. In humans, the hypothalamus(sp?) gland that controls body
temperature is, apparently, located close to the oesophagus ("food
pipe") - so drinking something hot causes the gland to sense an increase
in body temperature. The response to this is for the body to sweat, thus
actually reducing skin temperature. I've seen the evidence on a thermal
imaging camera. I presume the opposite is true, if you drink something
very cold - like iced water.

--
MatSav