One lucky kitty

Old January 23rd 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bobblespin[_2_]

Default One lucky kitty

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080123/...dd_missing_cat

Missing cat found in owner's suitcase

PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. - The last time cat-owner Kelly Levy saw her
tiger-striped feline was before she took her husband to the airport. The
24-year-old came back to her house late Friday to find the bottom step,
where Gracie Mae would usually be waiting, empty.

Levy tore the house apart looking for the 10-month-old tabby who had
been spayed just days before. She and her dad took out bathroom tiles
and part of a cabinet to check a crawl space and papered the
neighborhood with "lost cat" signs.

Then she got a phone call.

"Hi, you're not going to believe this, but I am calling from Fort Worth,
Texas, and I accidentally picked up your husband's luggage. And when I
opened the luggage, a cat jumped out," Levy recalled the caller saying,
the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

Rob Carter, of Fort Worth, told The Dallas Morning News for its online
edition Tuesday that he made it home with the suitcase.

"I went to unpack and saw some of the clothes and saw it wasn't my
suitcase," Carter said. "I was going to close it, and a kitten jumped
out and ran under the bed. I screamed like a little girl."

Carter said that he eventually was able to get the cat to come out from
under the bed.

"In the morning, I got close enough to see its collar and the phone
number on it," he said. "So I called the number and got a hold of the
crying wife of the traveler."

Gracie Mae had crawled into Seth Levy's black suitcase undetected, been
put through an X-ray machine, loaded onto an airplane, thrown onto a
baggage claim conveyor belt and picked up by a stranger.

Carter delivered Gracie Mae to Seth Levy and the tabby made the 1,300-
mile trip home on an $80 plane ticket Sunday night.

Carter said that he considered keeping the cat before he knew she had a
home.

"If I couldn't have found a good home, I would have kept it," he said.
"We were going to name it Suitcase."
Old January 23rd 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

bobblespin wrote:
[...]

This is indeed a very lucky cat! It's a good thing the cat had a collar
with a tag. I'd encourage everyone to do this for their cats even if they
don't go outdoors. Persia hated her collar initially but she got over it
quickly. (And perhaps, if she'd had a tag when she came to me she might be
in her original home rather than here, which of course I'd hate... but at
that point I hadn't had a chance to bond with her, either. If she'd had a
tag with a phone number I'd have called it as soon as I got the number.)

I also think everyone should have some unique identifying tag on their
luggage and should check for it before they ever leave the baggage claim
area.

I have plastic photo tags of Persia on all my luggage so I can easily spot
mine vs. any other identical suitcases. It's affixed to the top
carry-handle so if someone else grabbed by bag by mistake when they went to
extend the pull-handle they'd have to wonder why there was a photo of
someone's cat on their luggage! I have my name and phone number on the back
in permanent marker so even if the luggage wound up in the "lost baggage"
section someone there would know to call me.

Jill

Old January 25th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

I saw Gracy Mae in the Today show this morning. They had her owners on and
the man who picked up the wrong suit case with her in it. Lets see, Florida
Texas and back to Florida then to New York and back home. I want Gracy Mae's
frequent flyer miles.

Ann

Old January 26th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ann wrote:

I saw Gracy Mae in the Today show this morning. They had her owners
on and the man who picked up the wrong suit case with her in it. Lets
see, Florida to Texas and back to Florida then to New York and back
home. I want Gracy Mae's frequent flyer miles.

LOL! No kidding.

But why did they have to subject the poor cat to more flying? Didn't she
go through enough already? Why couldn't have the Today folks gone to
Florida, taped a segment with the cat, and then had the good Samaritan
guy go to New York?

Joyce
Old January 26th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

I know, they go all over the country to do stories.There was no reason to
fly her to New York.

Ann