[OT] Killer Sale

Old May 25th 05, 07:06 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:

I was watching "What Not to Wear" the other day and they were doing a
make-over for a fairly large woman. The woman complained that no matter how
much they gave her to spend, she couldn't find anything decent to buy.
Stacy (the lady style guru) agreed and *finally* said something about the
fashions made for "Women" sizes. She admitted that they're horrible and
designers *really* need to start designing nice things for larger women (who
can *possibly* believe that large floral or paisley, neon-colored prints
would look flattering on *any* woman, much less on a large woman!!??).

How about shiny leather skirts and pants for anything larger
than a size 10? (Yet most of the large-size catalogs show
them - of th size 44, for God's sake - the mind boggles!)

And oh, how I WISH they'd abolish the "empire" waist, which
makes even the slimmest woman look pregnant! ("Real" empire
fashions were gathered tight under the breasts, and pretty
much form-fitting from there down - not particularly
flattering to the large woman, but attractive on her slimmer
sisters.)

Why
can't designers just devote 1/10th of their line to "normal" women (mature
women of *all* sizes)? We don't all want to look like an emaciated
20-year-old model walking down a runway with most of her skinny body
sticking out for public view!!!

Probably because too many women can't really SEE themselves
when they look in a mirror! While I was still maintaining
my weight, I was often tempted by fashions I used to look
well in when I was younger. Fortunately, I am able to "see
myself as others see me", and refrained from buying them!

Old May 25th 05, 07:08 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jo Firey wrote:

That is a stereotype that was never really true. Especially in a
multiracial world. And it made life hell for the not so slim younger women.
Aside from those who were never slim, there are a lot of women who are never
thin again after they have their first child. That said, I do have a hard
time finding clothes suitable to my own age and tastes anymore.

I think Catnipped has it right - everything is designed for
"teeny-boppers", nowadays - whatever the size range!

Old May 25th 05, 07:10 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jo Firey wrote:

I'd love to know where Oprah used to get her clothes!

Well, a lot of budding singers, etc. have their own aspiring
designer, who does their clothes to order, for the publicity
value (and little more than the cost of materials).