[OT] Katrina Donations???

Old October 14th 05, 03:33 PM
CatNipped

Default [OT] Katrina Donations???

When replying to another thread about FEMA benefits I got to thinking about
something else I've been wondering about lately.

We see in all the newspapers and on TV all the benefit drives for Katrina
victims - TV and movie stars each seem to have their own drive going, there
have been all-star concerts and grass-roots "pass the hats" - millions and
millions of dollars have been donated to help Katrina victims. Now, as you
know, I know *LOTS* of Katrina victims - my whole family and most of my
friends are Katrina victims. But aside from a one-time benefit of $1,300
(for a family of 5) from the Red Cross, I don't know of *ANYONE* who has
received *ANY* funds from *ANY* charity or benefit drive.

Where the heck are all those donations going????!!!!!!!!!! How do the
victims of Katrina go about demanding that those funds that were generously
given to *THEM* to help them rebuild their lives actually get to *THEM* and
not into the pockets of the CEOs of charities or politicians??????

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 14th 05, 07:03 PM
mlbriggs

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:33:18 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Probably going to the needs of the "city". ...cleanup and disposal of
trash, etc. MLB

Old October 14th 05, 08:07 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

mlbriggs wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, that's what FEMA is for, so if the city is getting it, SHAME
ON THEM.

But then again, this is the reason I didn't donate to any 'fund' - I gave
directly to a needy family instead (and there are several Katrina/Rita
evacuee families here in Bloomington)

Old October 15th 05, 04:58 AM
badwilson

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I often wonder about that. Same with the Tsunami here. All this
money got pledged, but did anyone ever receive it???
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old October 15th 05, 06:36 PM
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
When replying to another thread about FEMA benefits I got to thinking
about something else I've been wondering about lately.

We see in all the newspapers and on TV all the benefit drives for
Katrina victims - TV and movie stars each seem to have their own
drive going
Where the heck are all those donations going????!!!!!!!!!! How do the
victims of Katrina go about demanding that those funds that were
generously given to *THEM* to help them rebuild their lives actually
get to *THEM* and not into the pockets of the CEOs of charities or
politicians??????

Hugs,

CatNipped

This is one reason I have problems with donating to charities. It always
comes out a couple of years down the road the "funds" were used to send the
higher-ups to "meetings" at resort places where they have golf courses,
tennis courts and 5 star restaurants rather than the funds being directed to
the intended victims. Case in point on this is United Way.

And after 9/11, The Red Cross installed a million dollar phone system with a
lot of the money donated to help the victims and families of the victims.
Drives me nuts. I don't trust any of them.

But it also drove me nuts (at least on another ng) people were slamming
WalMart for "not helping". That's funny. I went to WalMart a couple of
days ago. It's not a regular shopping place for me but it was close and I
needed a rack to hang clothes on for the yard sale; WalMart sprang to mind
because of course they carry stuff like that. The greeter who gave me a
cart told me she was a Katrina victim. WalMart relocated her, her husband
and 3 children. They gave her a job in the store near me and found them a
place to live *and* are helping subsidize the rent. And she'd only been
working there for 5 months! She couldn't be happier with her employer.

Jill

Old October 15th 05, 06:59 PM

jmcquown wrote:

This is one reason I have problems with donating to charities. It always
comes out a couple of years down the road the "funds" were used to send the
higher-ups to "meetings" at resort places where they have golf courses,
tennis courts and 5 star restaurants rather than the funds being directed to
the intended victims. Case in point on this is United Way.

Agreed. United Way's administrative costs are sky-high. I've heard
their people make a high salary. Halliburton is big here. For the first
time, they've booted United Way out of their employee giving program.
Used to be, employees donated to UW, and Halliburton matched. Now,
employees are given a chance to "choose." Local charities were invited
to a "fair" of sorts, everyone had a table to display info. about their
charities to employees. We got invited! We brought some animals, of
course! http://members.aol.com/ldriddles/givingchoices2.jpg

Anyway, United Way people are *angry* about this.

Wal Mart doesn't do anything for local charities here. I asked if I
could hang a 5x7 card for the shower in the pet aisle, and they
wouldn't even let me do that. Even though the shelter spends a lot of
money there on cleaning supplies, etc. Last Christmas, they made a big
deal out of telling us someone needed to show up, dressed nicely, for a
photo opportunity to receive a donation from Wal Mart.
That was pretty deceiving. It turns out, about 5 different charities
got a *small* check each. And the funds were deducted from employees'
paychecks, it did NOT come from Wal Mart.
I'm *really* surprised about the story the woman told you. It's a
wonderful thing they did, but it sure doesn't sound like Wal Mart. They
probably called a press conference and told the press so they'd get
free pub. Snicker.

Sherry

Old October 16th 05, 05:05 PM
tdedwar

Default Katrina Donations???

I have to correct Sherry. No money is taken out of hourly associate's
checks ever, unless they choose to donate to the United Way. SALARIED
associates (i.e. assistant managers and higher) are able to donate to
"associate in critical need" fund. An average store has a budget for
localdonations every single month, and the store manager etermines the
dollar amount, not the home office. Most goestowards charities dealing
with people, not animals. There isn't enough space here to list all
the things a typical Wal-Mart does for their community's local
charities. I will tell you that donations are made at the tune of $5
every second!
Tim

Old October 16th 05, 06:37 PM
karen

wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Our local HS also spends quite a chunk of money at our local Walmart but
it isn't out of any "loyalty" to the company. The money is spent there
because Walmart's prices allow us to stretch the pennies further.

Last Christmas, they made a big
deal out of telling us someone needed to show up, dressed nicely, for a
photo opportunity to receive a donation from Wal Mart.
That was pretty deceiving. It turns out, about 5 different charities
got a *small* check each.

Your shelter must have bigger expectations than our local HS. We can't
even afford to build a shelter and animals are fostered in private homes
here. We are most grateful for every $1.00 we receive as that gets us
$1.00 closer to having the next animal wormed, vetted, fed etc.

The biggest help our local Walmart has given hasn't been money but in
cooperation. They have invited a member of the local HS to come and
talk with employees and educate them to the needs of local animals.
They no longer allow individuals to stand out front of the store and
offer their "free kittens" to the general public. The local store has a
feral community of cats that they have helped us TNR. They keep an eye
out for animals that have been dumped in the parking lot and inform
appropriate organizations of any they see. They also are quick to call
authorities when they discover an animal left in a vehicle when it's
dangerous for the animal.

And the funds were deducted from employees'
paychecks, it did NOT come from Wal Mart.
I'm *really* surprised about the story the woman told you. It's a
wonderful thing they did, but it sure doesn't sound like Wal Mart. They
probably called a press conference and told the press so they'd get
free pub. Snicker.

Maybe there is more going on in the Walmart corporate offices than we
know about. I had heard a quick blurb on a national news network that
Katrina victims who had been employed by Walmart were gauranteed jobs at
the store near where they were relocated to. It sure wasn't something
they were shouting from the rooftops so - just maybe - they aren't quite
as evil as many believe they are.
Karen - heading back into the "Quiet Corner"

Sherry