[OT] Katrina Donations???

Old October 18th 05, 05:05 AM

Default Katrina Donations???

tdedwar wrote:
I have to correct Sherry. No money is taken out of hourly associate's
checks ever, unless they choose to donate to the United Way. SALARIED
associates (i.e. assistant managers and higher) are able to donate to
"associate in critical need" fund. An average store has a budget for
localdonations every single month, and the store manager etermines the
dollar amount, not the home office. Most goestowards charities dealing
with people, not animals. There isn't enough space here to list all
the things a typical Wal-Mart does for their community's local
charities. I will tell you that donations are made at the tune of $5
every second!
Tim

That is not the way the store here is, obviously. At the employee's
direction, Wal Mart withholds "donations" to local charities. Could be
that Wal-Mart matches the funds, I don't know for sure but I doubt it.
I can list a few things that Wal Mart has done for our community:
1. Put two local grocers out of business. (who were *big* contributors
to youth charities & animal charities alike)
2. Put three other home-owned department stores out of business, and
one fabric store.
And in exchange for that, Wal Mart brought to our community a bunch of
minimum-wage, part-time jobs! Yay Walmart!

Sherry

Old October 18th 05, 09:08 PM

karen wrote:
Your shelter must have bigger expectations than our local HS. We can't
even afford to build a shelter and animals are fostered in private homes
here. We are most grateful for every $1.00 we receive as that gets us
$1.00 closer to having the next animal wormed, vetted, fed etc.

Well, I guess we do have big expectations from the corporate giants. We
have to. You won't get anything if you don't expect to get it. It's
the difference between seeing the shelter go belly-up and revert back
to the city, or keeping it a private organization with no euthanasia
rules.
Not that we're not grateful for every $1 also. But that's a different
set of circumstances. We have our little old ladies who send their $5 a
month, religiously. We see to it that every one of them is thanked
personally.
When we apply for a $10,000 grant, I *expect* to get it.
We're not just in the business of warehousing animals. We do a lot
within in the community, also. We board (free) for anyone hospitalized
who can't afford boarding. We have our own abuse investigation team who
is not subsidized in any way by locatl government. We do programs in
the schools, have free flea & tick dips, free rabies clinics, free
spay/neuter for low-income. We pick up the vet-care tab for anyone who
can't afford to treat their pet.
We've got the full support of local newspapers, radio station & TV, and
most other businesses. That's why I *expect* no less from Wal Mart.
Whoa. Off the soapbox now.

Sherry

Old October 19th 05, 02:53 PM
Jane

And in exchange for that, Wal Mart brought to our community a bunch of
minimum-wage, part-time jobs! Yay Walmart!

Don't forget the lack of benefits! I had no idea that Wally world didn't
pay benefits. I'm shocked. If they can afford to donate all that
money and goods for good works, why can't they provide benefits for
their loyal workforce?
Frankly, I couldn't afford to LIVE without benefits.

Jane
Old October 19th 05, 06:40 PM
Jo Firey

"Jane" wrote in message
And in exchange for that, Wal Mart brought to our community a bunch of
minimum-wage, part-time jobs! Yay Walmart!

Don't forget the lack of benefits! I had no idea that Wally world didn't
pay benefits. I'm shocked. If they can afford to donate all that
money and goods for good works, why can't they provide benefits for
their loyal workforce?
Frankly, I couldn't afford to LIVE without benefits.

Jane

They do pay benefits. My sister has worked there on and off for years. She
has health insurance and a retirement plan.

Granted many workers don't work enough hours to qualify, but that is true a
lot of places.

Jo