[OT] Katrina humor

Old January 6th 06, 11:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Katrina humor

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:28:10 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:
Well, I wouldn't describe myself as a survivalist, but I do enjoy
heading out into the country and camping. So, when our apartment
complex lost power a few years ago I found myself almost alone here
while everyone else headed out and rented motel rooms in areas of town
which had power. One other tenant stayed the first couple days, but
then broke down and rented a motel room. I just moved my freezer over
to a friend's place where there was power, brought over my camp kitcen
and lanterns, and camped out. It was one of the best camps I've ever
found, running water, full sized bed, my recliner - only thing really
missing was water hot water for showers.

I don't understand... why bring your camp kitchen and lanterns if they had
power?

Well, guess that isn't very plain - comes from writing a run on
sentence. I took the freezer to a friend's shop where there was power.
I brought my camp kitchen, which is stored at his shop, back to my
apartment. So, the camp site was actually my apartment, which
unfortunately has an electric water heater - no hot water for showers.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old January 6th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Living without Electricity (WAS: Katrina humor)

wrote:
[...]

Gotcha! That makes much more sense

I managed for 5 days (or was it 6?) back in 1998 when a freak storm knocked
out power to over 250,000 homes in the Memphis area and NW Mississippi
(which is just down the road). Some folks in outlying areas went without
power for almost 3 weeks!

There were no motels to check into; they didn't have power either, unless
you wanted to drive 50 miles north to Jackson, TN or across the river to
Arkansas. Luckily it was June; it had been *hot* outside but the storm made
the temperatures drop. I could open the windows and be comfortable.

In some areas the water supply was disrupted but luckily not in my area.
However, my water heater is electric. Thank goodness it was almost summer;
I was taking sponge baths and didn't feel all funky.

Ice was at a premium; the stores ran out and even though the ice plant had
backup generators you can just imagine the demand. Stores also ran out of
those tanks for gas grills.

Now here's where it get's funny. The backup generators at work power the
computer room, but they also (for some reason) powered the breakroom areas.
The office was closed. But every couple of days I'd drive up there with big
plastic bags and fill them with ice. Apparently no one else thought of this

I kept one bag in the freezer with the food that wasn't going to go
"critical" and filled a large cooler with things I'd need to use rather
quickly even with ice. I cooked on my charcoal grill all week. Managed to
get very creative with it, too One morning I cooked bacon on my cast
iron griddle. I used the drippings and to "bake" cornbread in my iron
skillet (had to use eggs & milk up fast). I also cooked eggs on the griddle
to go with the bacon and had a couple of nice breakfasts. One day I cooked
rice then turned it into jambalaya with canned tomatoes and smoked sausage.
Of course I grilled the fish I'd had in the freezer as seafood is one of the
first things to go. Baked some potatoes and grilled steaks. You get the
picture... now I'm just bragging LOL I do wish I'd had a camp coffee pot,
though.

As for what I did all day? Well, I have oil lamps and lots of flashlights.
If I didn't sit outside and read, I'd read by the light of my big oil lamp.
Pretty much found myself going to bed when the sun set and waking up at
sunrise.

All in all, I learned I can manage without electricity if I have to. (I
cannot, however, manage without ice.) Still, I highly recommend having some
alternate method of cooking, like your cookstove or my charcoal grill. And
cast iron cookware can't be beat for situations like this. You don't wash
cast iron in soap & water so that's a big bonus.

Jill

Old January 6th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
"Pamela Shirk" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

From another California resident, not only are chances very good you
won't be home, chances are also pretty good your family won't be
together. There needs to be some sort of contact plan (everyone
call the same out of state friend or relative maybe) and basic
survival stuff in the trunk of the car. Copies of documents etc can
be stored online or kept on a CD.

It's been mostly joking but over Christmas our family was deciding
which place to evacuate to in event of the next levee
break/flood/mandatory evacuation.

We set up Rob's parents as our emergency contact a long time ago.
It not only helps to have an emergency contact in case of a dire
emergency, but if you get separated without means to contact each
other. This happened to us during a two car move to Northern
Catifornia. We got separated in Bakersfield and didn't know where
each other was, so having Rob's parents as an emergency contact
really helped in getting us back together again.

We are where the hurricane evacuees usually come to, so we'd be
evacuating to our own house. We do have emergency supplies,
including a camping stove with extra canisters of propane in case we
lose electricity. We also have the various things mentioned above
and figure that camp stove cooking practice helps.

Pam S. who's family discusses these things

Just don't *EVER* rely on cell phones in an emergency - the circuits
were overwhelmed before Katrina or Rita ever hit, and it was *MONTHS*
after Katrina before 504 area code cell phones worked (Erin's still
doesn't work when she's in lower St. Bernard working on the house).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Probably the only phone you could rely on, would be a satellite phone. How
many people have them?
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old January 6th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

sniped

Probably the only phone you could rely on, would be a satellite phone. How
many people have them?

I do, they are not that expensive I paid 499.99 for mine. They are about
the cost of the new cell phones out there, cheap calling rates and I never
have to worry about signal. If the shuttle program would have not been
grounded Motorola had in the works by the end of this year 2006 now 3 years
behind schedule to introduce satellite phone to the public mass at cheap
rates with guaranteed signal anywhere. They were going to dominate the cell
industry but things happen.

Also some thing to get is the big orange bag most wholesale clubs such as
Bj's and Sam's club have them. They are a big orange glow in the dark
backpack they come with enough food and water preserved for 3 to 4 days,
survival equipment and items. They come with survival manuals and disaster
manuels. It is enough for a person to have one in a car or by the door
grab it and run for their lives if necessary about $30

http://www.satellitediscountstore.com for example of the phones but I
found a service plan that does not charge me a service fee cost me $100 a
year to have 1500 minutes I only use it when I go overseas or like I did
during all the hurricanes. During Katrina it was the only way we could get
in contact with anyone when were in the big easy ; no comment on the bill
for that.