Litter choice

Old January 23rd 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Default Litter choice

"Matt" wrote in
:

"Outsider" wrote in message
. ..
"Matt" wrote in
:

Andy Phil from the other group had a very good idea about the dust
that cheaper litter produces. You take the litter outside and
transfer it back and forth between pails and let the dust get out of
it.

Yeah, I saw him say this. I think I will try it (I have the pails
that it comes in) but I am also going to try another brand. This
stuff is too expensive to be such a mess. It has not impressed me in
the odor control department either.

Andy

BTW: is your email address good?

No but you can email me at this one and I will send you a good email

OK check it.

Old January 23rd 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

bobblespin wrote in news:Xns9A2DC31D93874bobblespin@
194.177.96.26:

Outsider wrote in
:

Up until the time I had Frank and Lyle move in with me I used standard
clay litter. I had one open litter box filled with a 3 or so inches.
It worked well and Zak left most of the litter in the pan. The new
boys made quite a mess so I bought the enclosed boxes which they seem
to really like and the litter is more contained. I bought clumping
litter in the thought that the work saved would make up for having two
boxes and having to remove the covers. In reality the quicker
sweep-up afforded by the enclosed boxes made up for the extra work.

Now I do like the clumping thing but the Scoop Away litter (which
another poster mentioned) make an horrendous amount of dust. Since I
never used clumping litter I don't really know if this is the nature
of the beast or a crappy product. The stuff is scented and there is a
layer everywhere even past the mostly closed door. I can tell
wherever the boys walked because I can sense the extra scents along
the path. Lyle sneezed a few times after bumping into Frank as we
played with the laser dot. I don't blame him!

Are other brands better? If not I am going back to clay. I really
worry about the boys breathing that junk in all the time.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Andy

For years we've used Walmart's Special Kitty brand which I don't find
too dusty, but I have nothing to compare it with since that's all we've
ever used.

Bobble

Thanks.

Old January 24th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Outsider wrote:
Might be best for odors.

FWIW, there is absolutely no litterbox odor in our house.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 24th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

Outsider kirjoitti:
"Christine K." wrote in news:fn7t9q$lgi$1
@aioe.org:

We have always used wood pellets that go with a special double litter
pan. The bottom of the upper pan has holes it it like a sieve, and when
a cat pees in the pellets, they turn to saw dust, which is sifted
through the bottom of the upper pan into the lower pan, from where one
can easily scoop the sawdust away. Poops I pick up either with a scoop
or a couple of pieces of toilet tissue and toss into the toilet bowl.
The accumulated sawdust I toss into the bio waste, it could also be
tossed into a compost if I had one. It doesn't smell, it's not toxic and
it's easy to clean.

Does this mean you never have to totally empty the litter and toss it all
out or do you still do that every so often?

Andy

Well it does get sifted thru to the bottom pan eventually, and I just
top up the upper pan regularly. But over time the bottom pan does
accumulate pee smell, and then I let the upper pan empty down a lot and
toss all of it, wash both pans and start over.
I do put pellets into the bottom pan too, to collect the pee that sifts
thru the bottom of the upper pan. So there are pellets in both pans.

I do know of people making this double pan system themselves, by buying
two pans that "sit" into one another nicely, and then replacing the
bottom of one with some kind of wire mesh. The one I have is store
bought tho. See pic at http://www.delivet.net/peewee.php
Text is in Finnish tho...

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old January 24th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

Sorry for replying to myself but the manufacturer's site (Swedish) had a
link to a Singaporean site that also carries the Pee Wee litter pan. And
that's in English.
http://www.holisticpaws.com.sg/
click Pet's toilet on the left hand side

Old January 24th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Christine K." wrote in news:fn94q1$tp1$1
@aioe.org:

Sorry for replying to myself but the manufacturer's site (Swedish) had a
link to a Singaporean site that also carries the Pee Wee litter pan. And
that's in English.
http://www.holisticpaws.com.sg/
click Pet's toilet on the left hand side

Very intersting, thanks.

Andy