[OT] Kidney infection? (human)

Old September 4th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default [OT] Kidney infection? (human)

I've had this pain on the left side of my back, mid-height, for about
a week. It really hurts when I'm sitting at the computer, which I
kind of can't avoid at work. Yesterday I took 800 mg of ibuprofen and
then got down on the floor on my back for a while. Then I got up and
called a chiropractor, thinking that I might have pulled a muscle or
maybe had referred pain from spinal problems.

So today I saw the chiropractor. During the exam she was feeling
around on my back, and touched the area with the most acute pain,
which was very tender to the touch. Then she said she felt a lump
right where my left kidney was (and right where it hurts the most).
She said, "probably just a fatty deposit", but as soon as I got
to work I called my regular doctor and I have an appointment for
tomorrow.

I'm trying not to worry about it, but just thought I'd check with you
folks. Does this sound like a kidney infection (or worse)? I don't
like the sound of that lump. I don't have a fever and it doesn't hurt
to pee, which I know are two common symptoms of a kidney infection. I
have been feeling run down and a little queasy the past few days, as
though I had a mild virus.

Anyway, I see the doctor tomorrow, but I can't help feeling a little
anxious. That appointment can't come soon enough!

Joyce

--
Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
Old September 4th 09, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Sending heartfelt purrs that whatever it is, it can be rectified
promptly and successfully. Best wishes. MLB
Old September 4th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Kidney infection? (human)

On Sep 3, 8:05*pm, wrote:
[...]

Every single time I've had a kidney infection, the only symptom is
pain on the left side of my back. Usually pain that "comes and goes"
and gets really acute eventually.
The only time I've had the "other symptoms" was an infection in the
urinary tract.
So, it's entirely possible you can just be fixed right up with either
Bactrim
or Cipro. (Both of which are really inexpensive now) HOpe so!
Keep us posted-
Sherry
Old September 4th 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
[...]

Kidney problems can be fairly asymptomatic. It hurts to pee from a
UTI or if you are actually passing a kidney stone, but not for
problems in the kidneys themselves.

I've never had a high fever with kidney stones, but run down and
queasy are pretty good descriptions of how I felt before they were
diagnosed. But that was stones, not an infection.

In any case, I know you are feeling pretty miserable, so will ask
Jake and Molly to send some soothing purrs.

(Now that the little @#$& have finally stopped teasing us and come
in for the night)

Jo

Old September 4th 09, 05:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

Every single time I've had a kidney infection, the only symptom is
pain on the left side of my back. Usually pain that "comes and goes"
and gets really acute eventually.

You've had them multiple times? Well then you're a veteran! Thanks
for responding, it's good to hear that it wasn't too serious. I googled
"kidney infection symptoms" and got all sorts of alarming information.

I've only had one once, and it was so long ago I barely remember it.
I was in high school. I stayed in bed a couple of days and took anti-
biotics, and that's about it. I don't remember it being particularly
alarming to anyone. I guess having a pain in my back got more
attention when I was 16 than it does now that I'm 54. I just
figured it was one more of a bunch of little aches and pains that
I mostly just live with.

The only time I've had the "other symptoms" was an infection in the
urinary tract.

I've never even had one of those.

So, it's entirely possible you can just be fixed right up with either
Bactrim or Cipro. (Both of which are really inexpensive now) HOpe so!

Thank you again for the reassuring post!

Joyce

--
WRITING TIP FOR PROFESSIONALS: To make your writing more appealing to
the reader, avoid "writing negatively." Use positive expressions instead.
Old September 4th 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

Kidney problems can be fairly asymptomatic. It hurts to pee from a
UTI or if you are actually passing a kidney stone, but not for
problems in the kidneys themselves.

I've never had a high fever with kidney stones, but run down and
queasy are pretty good descriptions of how I felt before they were
diagnosed. But that was stones, not an infection.

In any case, I know you are feeling pretty miserable, so will ask
Jake and Molly to send some soothing purrs.

(Now that the little @#$& have finally stopped teasing us and come
in for the night)

Thanks! It is reassuring that so far, nobody sounds very alarmed
about it. You should see the websites I found via Google when I looked
it up. I was sure I was on death's door.

I hope it's just a bacterial thing and *not* stones. For one thing,
I hear stones are horribly painful. But also, you have to give up
certain foods once you've had one, and *that includes spinach* -
one of my favorite foods!! A friend of mine had a kidney stone
earlier this year and now she doesn't eat it.

Joyce

--
Taxes: Money you complain about giving the government, to pay for
services whose absence you would complain about.
Old September 4th 09, 05:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

Every single time I've had a kidney infection, the only symptom is
pain on the left side of my back.

Actually, I just noticed this - you always have it on the left side?
Mine is also on the left side.

Joyce

Old September 4th 09, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:

[...]

I had a kidney stone "pulverized" the day after New Year's 2008, and I had
my gall bladder removed at the same time. The kidney stone was extremely
painful but not dangerous. However, follow-up care depends on the *type* of
kidney stone a person has. I have not had to give up anything, although the
doctor did emphasize a limit on animal protein. However, I was already well
within those limits. In my case, I needed to greatly increase my
consumption of water, lemon juice in water every day, and a prescription for
potassium citrate. Ironically, I thought that I was already drinking a lot
of water because that is the only liquid I drink. However, I found that the
amount my urologist recommended is a *lot* of water. I began to keep a list
and discovered that I really wasn't consuming anywhere near the amount he
wanted me to drink. I want to reiterate, though--there are several types of
kidney stones, and you need to know the type (if that is what you have), so
don't base your actions on what your friend may need. Be sure to use a good
urologist!

MaryL