When should I put my cat down?

Old April 4th 11, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian[_2_]

Default When should I put my cat down?

MLB wrote:

Brian wrote:
Brian wrote:

My cat has sugar diabetics, a Kidney problem, and cancer on his ear.

The vet treated him for his kidney problem but did not think it was
worth while treating him for diabetics as this is not his only
problem.
He has been operated on twice for cancer on his ear but it has
appeared on his ear again after the second operation.

The cat is 17 years 14 weeks old.

The cat sits outside to enjoy the sunshine and likes sitting on
someone's knee but spends most of the time in a certain location in
the kitchen. He is still drinking (a lot) and eating but is loosing
weight.

Should I continue to let the cat live what life he has left and wait
until his health is worst before considering putting him down?

Advice from others would be welcome thanks.

Regards Brian

Thanks everyone for your advice.
There is a group called 'cats protection league' in my country so they
may know of a different vet but I have a feeling that the vet I go to
is recommended by Cats protection League.

The main things I notice is a lact of weight
A lack of energy (but then he's always been a slow cat)
Staying in one spot, sometimes he will go outside.

On the possive side he is keen to get food and water and demands it.
He will play with his toy which is feathers string from a rod when I
wave it in front of him.
He also is able to walk back from the back section and will push on
the door to get out attention.

Maybe it's the cats age (17 years) and the fact that he has cancer on
his ear (after two operations) is the reason why the vet thinks he
should be put down. I think that the last operation might have been
too much for him and caused these health problems.

It's still warm and winter has not arrived so we don't have much
choice than to leave him outside when we are away. The neigbour is not
going to want to change his dirt box once or twice a day.

Regards Brian

Are there any boarding facilities wherever it is you live. I'd never go
away and leave a cat alone outside if I truly cared for the cat.

We did put him in a animal boarding place when we went away on holiday
some years ago but he hated being in a cage. When he was given food he
attacked the person feeding him and managed to get out of the cage. It
took a long time to catch him again. They put a sign "dangous cat" on
the cage. If he wasn't for that they would have let him run around
with other cats. Also the boarding place is a distance from where I
live and last time he started to panic on the way there.
Since then we have put him outside and had the neigbour feed him when
we are away.

Regards Brian
Old April 4th 11, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Brian[_2_]

Rene wrote:

It's still warm and winter has not arrived so we don't have much
choice than to leave him outside when we are away. The neigbour is not
going to want to change his dirt box once or twice a day.

IMO, with an elderly cat with multiple medical problems, I would not
want to leave him outside while you are away. I would hire a petsitter
(with medical experience!) or board him at the vets to make sure he
gets the care he needs.

Rene

He is a problem cat Rene. He takes off when people are about. He also
hates being in an animal boarding place and last time he paniced on
the way to the boarding place which is a distance from where I live.
See my previous post.
I'm unemployed so the cost can be an issue.

Regards Brian
Old April 5th 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Brian" wrote

He is a problem cat Rene. He takes off when people are about. He also
hates being in an animal boarding place and last time he paniced on
the way to the boarding place which is a distance from where I live.
See my previous post.
I'm unemployed so the cost can be an issue.

Brian, one of the things most here do not account for is both that and a
different culture. Your vet access may be much more limited for example. I
have 127 vet offices within 20 miles of me. I do not know what part of NZ
you live in but I rather doubt you have that level of selection.

Also, pets level treatment may not be the same here you are. I do not know,
but I am not about to blame you over it. Sure, there are things you can do
for a diabetic cat but one with cancer, kidney issues and diabetes is a
daunting task unless you have a lot of money. Some people here pretend they
do. Personally, I do have enough for this but even I will not risk losing
the house or spend the kid's college fund over a pet.

An unemployed person in the USA can not cover the bills of such a cat. Many
are trying to having recently become so with an older cat but they are
having to make hard choices too.

In your culture, letting a cat out is more acceptable. In fact, I gather
it's pretty normal? I live in a big city and that isnt an option.

Best advice is watch the cat for quality of life. if you can find a vet who
offers diabetic treatment you can afford, try it. The cat may have a few
happy years if so.

Nothing shows putting the cat down right now though even if you can't swap
vets. I don't assume that is possible.

Old April 5th 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Brian wrote:
Rene wrote:

It's still warm and winter has not arrived so we don't have much
choice than to leave him outside when we are away. The neigbour is not
going to want to change his dirt box once or twice a day.

IMO, with an elderly cat with multiple medical problems, I would not
want to leave him outside while you are away. I would hire a petsitter
(with medical experience!) or board him at the vets to make sure he
gets the care he needs.

Rene

He is a problem cat Rene. He takes off when people are about. He also
hates being in an animal boarding place and last time he paniced on
the way to the boarding place which is a distance from where I live.
See my previous post.
I'm unemployed so the cost can be an issue.

Regards Brian

It sounds like you want someone to tell you it is OK to "get rid" of
your cat -- or are you just "trolling:
Old April 5th 11, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Brian" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote:

Is he likely to be suffering with the health problems he has?

If he is its only because you're not treating his health problems properly.
Get his diabetes under control and his quality of life will improve
significantly.

If his diabetics was treated then how long would it take before the
cancer kills him?

This is one of the few cancers that is very slow to metastasize and can be
*cured* by removing it. If your vet followed well established protocols the
cancer wouldn't have returned.

Old April 5th 11, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

Howdy Phil How have you been and how is the colonies ;-)

Hey Matthew,

Its been a long time.

They're running me ragged.

Ciao

Old April 5th 11, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"cshenk" wrote in message

Also, pets level treatment may not be the same here you are. I do not

know,
but I am not about to blame you over it. Sure, there are things you can

do
for a diabetic cat but one with cancer, kidney issues and diabetes is a
daunting task unless you have a lot of money.

You say that because you know little if anything about feline diabetes, this
type of cancer, and feline CRF. Even if the cat needs insulin, the monthly
cost is less than $20. Cats live for years with CRF and its easily managed.
The cancer can be cured by complete removal.

Some people here pretend they
do. Personally, I do have enough for this but even I will not risk losing
the house or spend the kid's college fund over a pet.

Even you? LOL! Do you read your posts before you send them?

In your culture, letting a cat out is more acceptable.

In which civilized culture is it acceptable to leave a sick cat on his own,
alone outside for days or weeks?

Old April 6th 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Phil P." wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Also, pets level treatment may not be the same here you are. I do not
know, but I am not about to blame you over it. Sure, there are things
you can
do for a diabetic cat but one with cancer, kidney issues and diabetes is
daunting task unless you have a lot of money.

You say that because you know little if anything about feline diabetes,
this
type of cancer, and feline CRF. Even if the cat needs insulin, the
monthly
cost is less than $20. Cats live for years with CRF and its easily
managed.
The cancer can be cured by complete removal.

I never said I know diabetes in cats. What I said was I did not know the
cost *where he is*. You have assumed it is 20$USA a month. He lives in NZ.
It may be cheaper or may be much more. He may be very far from ChristChurch
which seems their only sizable city. A good bit of NZ is fairly isolated.

Don't assume.

Some people here pretend they
do. Personally, I do have enough for this but even I will not risk
losing
the house or spend the kid's college fund over a pet.

Even you? LOL! Do you read your posts before you send them?

Yes, I have the income to handle this. I do not denigrate others over it.
I work hard and make good money. If you have a problem with that, the issue
is yours alone. I have also been very poor and washed clothes in the
bathtub because I didnt have funds for coin laundry. Are you going to blame
someone for that too?

In your culture, letting a cat out is more acceptable.

In which civilized culture is it acceptable to leave a sick cat on his
own,
alone outside for days or weeks?

It's more common in his culture to have cats let outside. That is all I
said. You added the magma and chopped the rest of the message as it didnt
'suit' you. Apparently you assume he can pay for whatever you want. I'm a
bit disturbed at times on his notes as well but you show zero conception of
cross-cultural understanding of where he may be at.

Sheesh, at least ask if he has another vet within 3 hours of him before you
blame him. He may, he may not. He may be disabled in such a way that
driving isnt possible or may not be. Ask.

Old April 6th 11, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Also, pets level treatment may not be the same here you are. I do not
know, but I am not about to blame you over it. Sure, there are things
you can
do for a diabetic cat but one with cancer, kidney issues and diabetes

is
daunting task unless you have a lot of money.

You say that because you know little if anything about feline diabetes,
this
type of cancer, and feline CRF. Even if the cat needs insulin, the
monthly
cost is less than $20. Cats live for years with CRF and its easily
managed.
The cancer can be cured by complete removal.

I never said I know diabetes in cats. What I said was I did not know the
cost *where he is*.

That's not what you said. Your exact words we

"Sure, there are things you can do for a diabetic cat but one with cancer,
kidney issues and diabetes is
a daunting task unless you have a lot of money."

The OP is on the edge about killing his cat. A stupid, irresponsible, and
erroneous remark like yours could push him over the edge. Think about the
effect your post could have before you hit send. If you still decide to
send it, at least make sure your information is correct. A cat's life might
depend on it.

Old April 6th 11, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Phil P." wrote
"cshenk" wrote

[...]

Phil, try not chopping quite so much. What you see is a reply based on his
*own* information. I still said in essense we don't know the cost *where he
is*. You chopped that out of this reply as well.

We know the cat is being treated for 2 conditions but we do not know if the
cat is like a person can be, where the diabetes comes in many ranges. This
cat *may* be borderline diabetic. No one asked him about that but the vet
does know and has elected at this time to not treat (perhaps dietary asdvice
was given? Many humans control the borderline level with diet alone).

The OP is on the edge about killing his cat. A stupid, irresponsible, and
erroneous remark like yours could push him over the edge. Think about the
effect your post could have before you hit send. If you still decide to
send it, at least make sure your information is correct. A cat's life
might
depend on it.

No, he's asking about quality of life which is in the original reply. He's
asking 'when is the right time' aka 'what to look for that means the cat
isnt having fun anymore'. Keep in mind the cancer and kidney issues seem
the advanced issues the cat has.

Of course, the only answer that will suit you is if i also tell him 'he's an
idiot, now stop eating and paying rent and pay whatever it takes to keep the
cat as long as possible.'

Sorry Phil, I prefer to ask him first if he can get to another vet and what
the costs may be or if he knows yet. If he has another vet he can get to,
he can call them and get basic info like that over the phone. He may get a
shock and find it's only 10$AUS for the diabetes treatment there. He may
find the cat is borderline and the meds may be to much for this level. Key
point is we do not KNOW.