Hemingway home is the cat's meow

Old August 30th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Default Hemingway home is the cat's meow

By JESSICA GRESKO, Associated Press Writer

The many cats that roam the grounds of the Ernest Hemingway home include
Ivan, Frances and Charley - all kittens born during the destructive
hurricane season of 2004.

But the home and museum's manager, Jacque Sands, has drawn the line: "We do
not want one named Ernesto."

Mostly, she said, Hemingway's first name makes "Ernesto" a bad choice.

The cats - 44, at last count - are denied little else. Among Key West's
numerous attractions, the felines are local celebrities, adorning postcards,
prints and magnets.

And whenever a storm looms, special precautions are taken to safeguard the
tribe, descendants of a six-toed feline given as a gift to Hemingway in
1935.

The novelist lived in the home 10 years, and wrote "A Farewell to Arms" and
"To Have and Have Not" there. All the cats carry the gene for six toes,
though not all display the trait.

As Ernesto sloshed ashore Tuesday, Sands said she was planning to stay the
night at the home to make sure the cats stayed comfortable.

Of her priorities during rough weather, "I would say the cats are number
one," she said.

A double supply of cat food is kept on hand during hurricane season, she
said. Bowls of food and water were tucked Tuesday in dry places around the
porch and inside one of the open buildings on the one-acre property.

The chief task of the cats - many of whom are named after famous actors and
literary figures from Hemingway's time - was trying to stay dry.

Younger ones napped in a "kitty condo," a replica of the Hemingway house,
while others like 10-year-old Charlie Chaplin rested on the porch.

Some cats pranced down to the home's dry basement, which Hemingway used as a
wine cellar. Archibald MacLeish, who usually lounges on Hemingway's bed,
found the house shuttered and sat instead outside the front door.

Between 400 and 600 people visit the home each day.

"Some come to pay homage to Hemingway - but to see the cats, too," Sands
said.

Old August 30th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:
By JESSICA GRESKO, Associated Press Writer

I wonder whatever became of the controversey the government was
after them to license each cat, and were threatening with a honking
huge fine if they didn't.

It all seemed so silly. It appeared at face value that either Florida
is so desperate for state funding that they're grubbing for a few
bucks; or there's just some cat-hating bureaucrat somewhere with not
enough to do.

I'm sure Florida (as the other 49 states) can make better use of
tax-payer funded human resources than wasting time worrying about
Hemingway's cats.

Sherry

Old August 30th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

wrote in message
ps.com...

Pat wrote:
By JESSICA GRESKO, Associated Press Writer

I wonder whatever became of the controversey the government was
after them to license each cat, and were threatening with a honking
huge fine if they didn't.

It all seemed so silly. It appeared at face value that either Florida
is so desperate for state funding that they're grubbing for a few
bucks; or there's just some cat-hating bureaucrat somewhere with not
enough to do.

I'm sure Florida (as the other 49 states) can make better use of
tax-payer funded human resources than wasting time worrying about
Hemingway's cats.

Sherry

Wasn't even the money it was some idiot in Miami not even there decide
that this was a tourist spot and should be fall under a certain category
and that there should be a limit on the number of cats they should had.
As far as I know it died real quick way to man supporters on the cat's
side. I know there will be one hell of a fight if they even try and mess
with that

Old August 30th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Matthew wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Pat wrote:
[...]

I news-googled a bit, Matthew, and apparently it's not over yet. So
silly, I'm still shaking my head. My interpretation is, *every* time
the government meddles, it's either about power or money. It's
certainly not about the welfare of the cats, or public safety.

If it were, the government would "meddle" and help local agencies deal
with puppy mills and animal abuse. They hardly ever do.

Someone (and they suspect it's the local SPCA) has complained about the
cats for three years. And for three years, the museum folks have tried
to comply. They've erected a fence designed to contain the cats to the
property.

Enter a USDA vet who visited the property and started the whole
hullaballoo. He not only wants the cats licensed, but wants them caged.
He sees a potential pool of money that's there for the taking, and a
chance to push a little power around, so he over-interprets the
existing laws that are there for "animals on exhibit."

It would be nice if such an overzealous pencil-dick bureaucrat would
exhibit the same fervor for puppy mills, animal abuse, poaching, etc.

Rant is over. :-)

Sherry

Old August 30th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

wrote in message
oups.com...

Matthew wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Pat wrote:
[...]

They won't do anything to jeopardized the reelection which is both ha good
and bad thing