New cat-resp infection for 3 weeks

Old August 19th 03, 05:34 PM
kate

Default New cat-resp infection for 3 weeks

Hi everyone. I was supposed to get an abyssinian kitten but decided to
go to the pound instead! Arent you proud of me?? Anyway, she is a 1 yr
old sweetie who recently had kittens. The day I took her home she was
supposed to have been spayed by the clinic but she got the usual upper
res. infection which goes around in shelters so I took her home
instead. Although I have seen improvement in her energy level and she
is eating and drinking like a pig, she is still sneezing a lot , and
her eyes are still having some discharge and at night she is mouth
breathing bc her nose is so stuffed up. Her breath sounds raspy
through her nose. It is worse at night. In the moring she is a lot
peppier, too.
She is on antibiotics and eye ointment. I think it has been 5 days
now.
Anyway, is this normal? Also, she really eats and drinks a LOT. More
than any cat I have seen. She has 2-3 large semi hard bowel
movements/day and around 3 urinations (word?). Could something be
wrong? She also farts a lot.
Old August 19th 03, 06:26 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
Hi everyone. I was supposed to get an abyssinian kitten but decided to
go to the pound instead! Arent you proud of me??

Yay!
Go you!

We want pics.

Anyway, she is a 1 yr
old sweetie who recently had kittens. The day I took her home she was
supposed to have been spayed by the clinic but she got the usual upper
res. infection which goes around in shelters so I took her home
instead. Although I have seen improvement in her energy level and she
is eating and drinking like a pig, she is still sneezing a lot , and
her eyes are still having some discharge and at night she is mouth
breathing bc her nose is so stuffed up. Her breath sounds raspy
through her nose. It is worse at night. In the moring she is a lot
peppier, too.
She is on antibiotics and eye ointment. I think it has been 5 days
now.

Antibiotics are for secondary bacterial infections. The cat must fight
the virus on her own. This can take up to two weeks, possibly more for
her even since she just had kittens and her body is a little weaker than
normal.

Anyway, is this normal? Also, she really eats and drinks a LOT.

How big is she? Does she seem overweight, underweight? She just had
kittens; she may still be in mommy-mode, where she needs to eat more to
lactate. You didn't mention how recently she had kittens...
If she eats dry food, she will drink more to compensate. If she still
seems to be drinking too much, you might want to discuss with your vet
having her tested for diabetes.

than any cat I have seen. She has 2-3 large semi hard bowel
movements/day and around 3 urinations (word?). Could something be
wrong?

Sounds one movement above normal to me, but ask your vet. She's been
through several changes lately and may be eating more due to her recent
litter. The more you eat, the more you - well, you know. *G*

Oh, I assumed she's been tested for parasites, but do check on that. If
she hasn't been tested for worms, have that done.

She also farts a lot.

She's adjusting to new everything and may have an upset tummy (esp.
since she's sick). If you are worried, ask your vet to check her out.

~kaeli~
Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?
If that cell phone was up your a$$, maybe you could
drive a little better!
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Old August 19th 03, 06:26 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old August 19th 03, 06:27 PM
MaryL

"kate" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Congratulations!! I am going to leave it to someone more experienced with
respiratory problems to answer your question, but I wanted to thank you for
adopting a shelter kitty. I remember the discussion when you originally
intended to get an Abyssianian, and I think it is great that you decided to
rescue a pound kitty instead. She sounds like a sweetie. I hope all goes
well for you.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Old August 19th 03, 08:34 PM

Kate wrote:

Hi everyone. I was supposed to get an
abyssinian kitten but decided to go to
the pound instead! Arent you proud of
me??

Very! insert enthusiastic cheers and applause here

Anyway, she is a 1 yr old sweetie
who recently had kittens. The day I took
her home she was supposed to have been
spayed by the clinic but she got the
usual upper res. infection which goes
around in shelters so I took her home
instead. Although I have seen
improvement in her energy level and she
is eating and drinking like a pig, she
is still sneezing a lot , and her eyes
are still having some discharge and at
night she is mouth breathing bc her nose
is so stuffed up. Her breath sounds
raspy through her nose. It is worse at
night. In the moring she is a lot
peppier, too.
=A0=A0She is on antibiotics and eye
ointment. I think it has been 5 days
now.
=A0=A0Anyway, is this normal?

URI's caught at shelters can be rough. In addition to the treatments she
is on, you should start supplementing her with 500 mg of Lysine twice a
day. This can be purchased at Whole Foods or health food stores. Be sure
to buy it in capsule form and just mix it in with some wet food. The URI
is probably herpes related and Lysine stops the virus from replicatng
and will help to resolve the URI.

Also, she
really eats and drinks a LOT. More than
any cat I have seen. She has 2-3 large
semi hard bowel movements/day and around
3 urinations (word?). Could something be
wrong?

If you are feeding dry/inexpensive food this could be part of the
problem. Since you have just the one cat, I would suggest you switch her
to an all canned diet and ditch the dry food. Upping her water intake is
good for her and may resolve the heavy drinking you are seeing (and a
canned diet is much better for her health.) If it doesn't I think a vet
check would be worthwhile. Also, do you know if she is wormed, and is so
was a second dose done? If not this would also explain the huge
appetite. Having a stool sample checked at this point would be a prudent
thing to do.

She also farts a lot.

This could be related to worms or be happening because she has had a
sudden change in diet if you are feeding something different from what
she had at the shelter. Giving her a high quality canned food would be a
good idea and should resolve the farting. Wellness is an excellent brand
with several flavors (variety is important and you don't want a cat to
get stuck on one thing), high quality ingredients and good phosphorus
levels. You can find a store locator at http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com

Please keep us updated on your new arrival and congratulations for
saving a life!!! You won't regret it. :-)

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old August 19th 03, 10:54 PM
Cheryl

In ,
MaryL composed with style:
"kate" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone. I was supposed to get an abyssinian kitten but
decided to go to the pound instead! Arent you proud of me??

..

I have to "ditto" what MaryL said, YAY! Good luck with the farts
and URI... it's almost alway inevitable but treatable especially when
the kitty is a little older.

Old August 19th 03, 10:54 PM
Cheryl

In ,