First TNR final score is...

Old October 18th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RobZip

Default First TNR final score is...

..... 40 cats trapped, 39 were neutered and released. There was one casualty
that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.
The rest have been released and are slowly finding their way to their
original spots.
The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here won't
be rejoining the group. When the lady from Cat Haven was releasing the
animals, BoBo had to be manually removed from the carrier. He hung around
circling her feet, standing up and pawing at her hands, and talking up a
storm the whole time she was opening carriers and setting cats loose. When
she was done, he was still there, following her to the truck each trip she
made putting carriers away. When she was finally ready to go, he went with
her, and has a new home! Of all the ones I hoped could be adopted, he was
the one I wanted to see it happen for the most. I'm told 4 others were
adopted as well. 'Couldn't ask for a better outcome.

Old October 19th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

I'm sorry to hear that one was sick, but I'm so glad it was not spread
to the others!

I loved your story about BoBo being adopted. What a little character,
choosing his new home like that. I love it when cats are that insistent.

And you're right, you couldn't ask for a better outcome, woo hooo!

Rhonda

Old October 19th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"RobZip" no wrote in message
.. .
.... 40 cats trapped, 39 were neutered and released.

Wow! That's fantastic for one day! That's fantastic-- period!

There was one casualty
that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.

If all the other cats from the area all tested negative- his positive was
probably false- especially if they used a whole blood sample instead of
serum. Out of 40 cats, one cat tested positive- that's a disease prevelance
of like less than 0.1%. So, there's a 90% chance that the ELISA postive was
wrong. About how old do you think he was. The older he was the greater
the odds of the positive being false. I have huge battles with certain
rescue groups over testing policies of ferals and strays for FeLV/FIV. The
test kits only cost me less than $10 so I have no problem retesting
positives. I send out all double positives for IFA confirmation. I just
can't let a cat's life depend on a ELISA Snap.

The rest have been released and are slowly finding their way to their
original spots.

It was really great that you got them back to their turf quickly- although I
usually hold females overnight. The longer they're away the more it messes
up their little community.

The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here

won't
be rejoining the group. When the lady from Cat Haven was releasing the
animals, BoBo had to be manually removed from the carrier. He hung around
circling her feet, standing up and pawing at her hands, and talking up a
storm the whole time she was opening carriers and setting cats loose. When
she was done, he was still there, following her to the truck each trip she
made putting carriers away. When she was finally ready to go, he went with
her, and has a new home!

Wow! That's great! How many were adoptable? Its sounds more like a stray
colony than feral.

Of all the ones I hoped could be adopted, he was
the one I wanted to see it happen for the most. I'm told 4 others were
adopted as well. 'Couldn't ask for a better outcome.

There's always one that just gets to you, isn't there?

Let me know when you have another round up.

Phil

Old October 19th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RobZip

"Rhonda" wrote in message
I'm sorry to hear that one was sick, but I'm so glad it was not spread to
the others!

I loved your story about BoBo being adopted. What a little character,
choosing his new home like that. I love it when cats are that insistent.

And you're right, you couldn't ask for a better outcome, woo hooo!

The Humane Society worker had left behind a medium size carrier in my tool
shed that she didn't have room for in her van. I took it back out there
Tuesday afternoon. She was there and told me the outcome of the whole thing.
BoBo is a charmer all the way. As I said in my earlier description, he fears
nothing....
He made a great friend out of the neighbor's dog, a basset/beagle mix. The
dog is very boisterous- enough to drive most cats up the nearest tree. BoBo
had walked in their house one day when the kids left a door cracked open a
bit. The dog was doing his usual yap and woof routine at Bobo. BoBo finally
turned and put his nose right up against the dog's and the poor mutt was so
taken back by it, he couldn't move! After that they would play when the dog
was on his outside rope, BoBo prancing about just out of range. I recall the
neighbor girl walking the dog one day and BoBo strutting along about 10
steps behind, all stiff legged, tail straight out behind him and puffed up.
He was stalking the dog. 'Dog kept turning to look back and each time BoBo
would draw down into a crouch like he was going to pounce. Finally BoBo
sprinted ahead, stood on hind legs and slapped the dog on each side of his
rump with both front paws. 'Dog broke free and took off chasing BoBo. They
made a few laps around a parked car, finally ending up on opposite sides,
peeking under it at each other. The girl recovered the leash and BoBo tagged
along for the rest of the walk.

He is an extremely sociable animal. Any open door is an invitation to make
friends. I've heard any number of stories of him walking right in with
various people in the area as they carried groceries inside. Every kid in
the area had their own name for him.
I would have kept him myself but it just wouldn't work. I have 4 inside
right now that have a very tight, firmly established hierarchy. BoBo is very
strong willed for being such a little guy. We tried him out inside for a few
weeks but it upset the order of things so badly, we just couldn't make it
work. Him and Bubbles would still sprint inside every chance they got. BoBo
especially made it a point to sneak in during mornings when milk would be
around. He would sit and watch my son eat cereal, but never jumped up and
hassled him for milk. My boy would always let him have the leftover milk in
his bowl. 'Same thing when I had coffee. He would sit and stare at the milk
jug, never made a sound, just tried to laservision a hole in the jug. He
would always sit at the same spot, where I would put a saucer down for him
and load it up. He was asking in the strongest terms he could but was well
mannered enough not to attack no matter how badly he wanted it. That Cat
Haven lady is in for a lot of surprises over the next few weeks as BoBo
explores her limits. She just got herself one helluva unique cat.

Old October 19th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RobZip

"Phil P." wrote in message

Wow! That's fantastic for one day! That's fantastic-- period!

Actually it was two days. Started seting traps Sunday afternoon, finished up
Monday morning.

There was one casualty
that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.

If all the other cats from the area all tested negative- his positive was
probably false- especially if they used a whole blood sample instead of
serum. Out of 40 cats, one cat tested positive- that's a disease
prevelance
of like less than 0.1%. So, there's a 90% chance that the ELISA postive
was
wrong. About how old do you think he was.

This was a young male - maybe a year old and was a fairly recent arrival
here- again, probably a dumped cat. I don't know details on testing used.
It's probably best I don't push the matter. The various personalities
involved in animal work here are still a bit guarded after all the
controversy of recent years and tend to be a bit cliqueish.

The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here

won't
be rejoining the group.

Wow! That's great! How many were adoptable? Its sounds more like a stray
colony than feral.

The mix of stray/abandoned animals is probably 2/3 of the population around
here. It's surprising how stroi\ng feral behavior traits are among them.

There's always one that just gets to you, isn't there?

That Boy was just plain special. I don't just mean garden variety charming
and cute, but seriously different in ways that stood out to everyone around
here. That Cat Haven lady got herself a piece of fur wrapped gold. I'll
clean up some pics I have of him, reduce the file sizes and post in the
animals group later today.

Old October 19th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"RobZip" no wrote in message
.. .

"Phil P." wrote in message

Wow! That's fantastic for one day! That's fantastic-- period!

Actually it was two days. Started seting traps Sunday afternoon, finished

up
Monday morning.

That's less than 24 hours! 40 cats? That's great!

There was one casualty
that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.

If all the other cats from the area all tested negative- his positive

was
probably false- especially if they used a whole blood sample instead of
serum. Out of 40 cats, one cat tested positive- that's a disease
prevelance
of like less than 0.1%. So, there's a 90% chance that the ELISA postive
was
wrong. About how old do you think he was.

This was a young male - maybe a year old and was a fairly recent arrival
here- again, probably a dumped cat.

Maybe he was dumped because he tested positive. That wouldn't be unusual.

I don't know details on testing used.
It's probably best I don't push the matter. The various personalities
involved in animal work here are still a bit guarded after all the
controversy of recent years and tend to be a bit cliqueish.

I know whatcha mean. I just merntioned it FYI. FeLV/FIV testing in ferals
is a volatile subject.

The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here

won't
be rejoining the group.

Wow! That's great! How many were adoptable? Its sounds more like a

stray
colony than feral.

The mix of stray/abandoned animals is probably 2/3 of the population

around
here. It's surprising how stroi\ng feral behavior traits are among them.

Its one of their survival mechanisms that they can revert back to when they
have to. I kinda like the wild side of domestic cats.

There's always one that just gets to you, isn't there?

That Boy was just plain special. I don't just mean garden variety charming
and cute, but seriously different in ways that stood out to everyone

around
here. That Cat Haven lady got herself a piece of fur wrapped gold.

Kinda shakes your faith in human nature when you see a cat like that dumped.

I'll
clean up some pics I have of him, reduce the file sizes and post in the
animals group later today.

I'd like to see them.

Old October 19th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RobZip

Default Pics are up! was First TNR final score is...

"Phil P." wrote in message

That Boy was just plain special. I don't just mean garden variety
charming
and cute, but seriously different in ways that stood out to everyone
around here. That Cat Haven lady got herself a piece of fur wrapped gold.

Kinda shakes your faith in human nature when you see a cat like that
dumped.

I've lost my faith in human nature a long time ago. I believe that all
humanity is created equal - equally ****ing worthless- until some random
lightning strike plants a redeemable quality in some. Ooops... sorry, some
of my latent sociopath slipped out.

I'll
clean up some pics I have of him, reduce the file sizes and post in the
animals group later today.

I'd like to see them.

several of them in alt.binaries.pictures.animals