Cystease/cystaid.

Old August 18th 03, 09:09 PM
Alison

Default Cystease/cystaid.

Hi ,
Has any one heard of this? I've read a lot about FLUTD but don't
remember it being mentioned. I wonder if it's worth trying ?

http://www.parkvets.com/microsite/flutdgag.html
" Introduction

It is claimed that glycosaminoglycans (GAG) supplements re-establish
and maintain the integrity of the bladder wall lining damaged in
feline lower urinary tract disease (FLUTD) cases.

What's it Supposed to Do?

A thin layer of material composed of GAG covers the inner wall of the
normal cat bladder, its function is to:

Prevent adherence of microbes and crystals to the bladder lining
Reduce bladder wall permeability to noxious substances within the
urine.
It is now believed that changes or damage to this GAG layer may
contribute to the signs of FLUTD developing.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that supplementation with GAGs is
beneficial because it helps the damaged areas of bladder wall to heal.
It also, supposedly, has painkilling and anti-inflammatory effects on
the bladder wall. "

--
Alison
Links to animal information websites

Old August 18th 03, 11:06 PM

Has any one heard of this? I've read a lot
about FLUTD but don't remember it being
mentioned. I wonder if it's worth trying ?

From my experience, I will always recommend supplementing with Cosequin
(glucosamine) if a cat has recurring urinary tract problems. I have two
cats with interstitial cystitis. The first cat, Teddy suffered for a
year with ongoing problems. I tried everything and nothing worked. His
bladder issues culminated in emergency surgery to remove a hardened
blood clot from his bladder. At the time supplementing with Cosequin was
a fairly new idea, but I was desperate to try anything that would give
him relief. Since I started with the Cosequin, he has had NO recurrences
and I've been able to wean him off of the Amitriptyline as well. When
Marvin started having problems I automatically put him on Cosequin and
he hasn't had a recurrence since. I swear by this stuff.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old August 19th 03, 01:49 PM
Alison Smiley Perera

In article ,
wrote:

Has any one heard of this? I've read a lot
about FLUTD but don't remember it being
mentioned. I wonder if it's worth trying ?

From my experience, I will always recommend supplementing with Cosequin
(glucosamine) if a cat has recurring urinary tract problems. I have two
cats with interstitial cystitis. The first cat, Teddy suffered for a
year with ongoing problems. I tried everything and nothing worked. His
bladder issues culminated in emergency surgery to remove a hardened
blood clot from his bladder. At the time supplementing with Cosequin was
a fairly new idea, but I was desperate to try anything that would give
him relief. Since I started with the Cosequin, he has had NO recurrences
and I've been able to wean him off of the Amitriptyline as well. When
Marvin started having problems I automatically put him on Cosequin and
he hasn't had a recurrence since. I swear by this stuff.

Megan

Has anybody done any studies on this? My hubby said that with human
physiology, anyway, there's no way to get those GAGs intact to where
they're going. Maybe by supplying the "raw material" it's making it
easier for the body to create its own GAGs for the lining; or maybe it's
just wishful thinking/placebo effect? I'd love to read more. I sometimes
remember to put some of my dog's Cosequin in my FLUTD cat's food when
he's having a flareup but usually not and he gets over the episode just
fine.

-Alison in OH

Old August 19th 03, 03:23 PM

Alson wrote:

I sometimes remember to put some of
my dog's Cosequin in my FLUTD cat's
food when he's having a flareup but
usually not and he gets over the episode
just fine.

The whole point of Cosequin is to elminate or greatly minimize
flare-ups. Putting some of you dog's Cosequin in your cat's food when
you remember isn't going to do anything. The cat has to have it daily
and it takes several weeks to get to the point where it starts working.
If you put your cat on Cosequin daily eventually he might not have
flare-ups at all. My cats are on it permanently.