Wanna Make Friends?

Old March 29th 08, 10:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default Wanna Make Friends?

Thank you Pam. We will have to get you a vet appointment soon!!
"tanadashoes" wrote in message

"Granby" wrote in message
My blabbermouth son mentioned to a neighbor that I might be considering
going on a cruise. Well, in a 24 hour period a little less, have had
seven, count them, 7 neighbor ladies at my door.

I already offered free of charge to be your seeing eye person. Tell them
you're already taken.

Pam S.

Old March 29th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Now that you mention it, not once. I am used to these people. I have
always heard that once you are a widow women change toward you. More
protective of "useless" spouses and the like. Well girls, it is true. Come
on, I am old enough and self sufficient enough I don't want to take on
another project. I am not saying if someone "special" came along, I
wouldn't be pleased as all get out. However, by the time you get where I
am, you know Cinderella has lost more than her slipper and Prince Charming
would rather watch football than run around the countryside. As I say, it
is what it is.
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Granby wrote:
My blabbermouth son mentioned to a neighbor that I might be
considering going on a cruise. Well, in a 24 hour period a little
less, have had seven, count them, 7 neighbor ladies at my door.

Neighborly "Hear you are going on a cruise."

Me: "Maybe."

Neighbor: "Well since you will probably have to hire someone to go
with you, I would like to be considered for the job."

Me: "You don't even know the cost, why would you volunteer yet/"

Neighbor: "Well, ah, as you would have to hire someone I would
assume you would be picking up the cost."

Me: "Well, if I were picking up the cost, you are the wrong gender."

Thus ended the conversation! I can get around by myself and, once I
go someplace can get back. I figure there are enough of you who know
me if you saw me heading for the gangplank in the middle of the ocean
you would stop me. (Then maybe NOT)

Just made me madder than all get out.

Oh My God. I don't blame you a bit for being mad. How very presumptuous!
And (am I right?) this same neighbor has never offered to help you "get
around" before.

Jill

Old March 29th 08, 10:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Ahhh wouldn't make a diference anyway, they have to have someone to bad
mouth. With 25 houses in town, and most of them having roots here, they got
to pick on someone. I just have to learn not to let them get to me. Or, as
some suggest, learn to have fun with it. I always thing of things I should
have done, said later when it is too late.
"Yowie" wrote in message
Granby wrote:

"Kyla =^..^=" wrote in message
. ..
7 ladies???
The Nerve of some people :/
Geeeeeez louise
Hug
Kyla
who would love to go on a cruise with you, but I'm the wrong gender
too. LOL...guess you told them
"Granby"
[...]

I only said the gender thing because I was mad. I have several good
friends who would be willing to go with me. I was mad because these
were the same women who had made me feel less than human. I wouldn't
go with the men they tried to throw at me. I didn't dress as they do
in the sweat pants and such. The ones who swore I was, never mind,
you get the idea.
They just made me feel all things I had fought for all my life in
fact, to do for myself were useless.

Now I am getting serious! Dunno what I'll have to do to get there, but
Granby, I reckon if I was there we could put on such a show that no one
and I mean no-one would dare bad mouth you again.

Yowie
scheming furiously

Old March 29th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Granby" wrote in message
[...]

Wow. Just Wow.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old March 29th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Granby wrote:
My blabbermouth son mentioned to a neighbor that I might be considering
going on a cruise. Well, in a 24 hour period a little less, have had seven,
count them, 7 neighbor ladies at my door.

I'm not sure I'd call those "friends"! :-) (And if you needed to "hire"
a companion/aide and pay his/her transportation costs as well, why
wouldn't you hire a PROFESSIONAL "caregiver", not just someone from the
neighborhood?)
Old March 29th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
"Granby" wrote in message
[...]

This would be funny if it weren't such a sad commentary on those trying to
get something for nothing.

While I didn't notice anyone with vision problems on our last cruise, there
were plenty of guests with mobility issues.

I would think a cruise ship could be ideal for someone with limited vision.
Once you get the hang of it, everything pretty much stays put for your whole
vacation.

Also, a cruise ship DOES have trained staff - trained to offer
assistance to passengers with disabilities without making them feel they
are something less than human! People can overcome all sorts of SEVERE
disabilities to lead very successful (and "normal" lives) - something
your "sympathetic" neighbors may not consider.

One of the finest classical singers alive today is a German
bass-baritone named Thomas Quasthoff. He was a Thalidomide baby, with
the usual physical limitations that presents. His mother raised him to
be independent - he has insisted upon "making it" as a singer WITHOUT
capitalizing on his handicap, and has succeeded admirably. Many people
who have only heard him in recordings but haven't followed his career
are surprised when he comes onstage for a concert. It's true he would
be rather limited in the roles he could sing, were he to choose to sing
opera. (He refused several offers of "Rigoletto", because he felt the
offers were based more upon his physical handicap than his singing ability.)

Every once in a while, "Sixty Minutes" repeats a segment that featured
him. I'm not sure whether he lives alone, but he certainly seems to
manage most normal household tasks - they even showed him washing dishes
on his own. I imagine it is much more difficult to adapt to physical
limitations if they occur later in life, but he was BORN without arms,
and only rudimentary legs - he manages just FINE with hands that start
at his shoulders, and walks well enough to get on and off stage with no
problem, even though he sits on a high stool by the piano or conductor,
instead of standing, as singers usually do.
Old March 29th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
Granby wrote:
[...]

Also, there's a trick to helping people with limited vision "get around"
- it isn't something every sighted person can do without thinking about
it! (How many of us notice little things we automatically adjust to -
like uneven pavement, higher or lower than normal curbs on the streets,
cars stopped too far into the crosswalk at an intersection.... all
things that could be a problem for someone who can't see them.)
Old March 29th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Granby wrote:

I only said the gender thing because I was mad. I have several good friends
who would be willing to go with me. I was mad because these were the same
women who had made me feel less than human. I wouldn't go with the men they
tried to throw at me. I didn't dress as they do in the sweat pants and
such. The ones who swore I was, never mind, you get the idea.

I seem to remember this. They sound like a bunch of nasty busy-bodies.

Maybe you should've told them you *were* "never mind, you get the idea".
(Is that the new euphemism, LOL?) They certainly would've stopped
throwing men at you. (Amusing image. )

But I must ask, what is wrong with wearing sweats, *all the time*, if
one wants to? I think that at a certain age, one is entitled to comfort
24/7.

(I think we're all entitled to dress comfortably regardless of age, but
one does need to make compromises when dealing with the work world, etc.
One of the luxuries of retirement, I'd think, is that this is no longer
necessary.)

They just made me feel all things I had fought for all my life in fact,
to do for myself were useless.

You know, it's just about time to clean my guys' litterboxes... I could
send along the offerings if you'd like.

Joyce
Old March 29th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
Granby wrote:

[...]

OK, guys. Enough with complaining about sweats. I'm still in my PJ's and I
suppose it really is time to get dressed if I plan to today. We won't get
into how often at bedtime I just get a shower and change into clean PJ's

Jo

Old March 29th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jo Firey wrote:

wrote in message

But I must ask, what is wrong with wearing sweats, *all the time*, if
one wants to? I think that at a certain age, one is entitled to comfort
24/7.

(I think we're all entitled to dress comfortably regardless of age, but
one does need to make compromises when dealing with the work world, etc.
One of the luxuries of retirement, I'd think, is that this is no longer
necessary.)

OK, guys. Enough with complaining about sweats. I'm still in my PJ's and I
suppose it really is time to get dressed if I plan to today. We won't get
into how often at bedtime I just get a shower and change into clean PJ's

Hey, wait - I'm not the one complaining about sweats! I'm defending them!

Joyce - still in mine, too.

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.