Useless replies

Old February 11th 04, 09:36 PM
Caroline

"Joe Canuck" wrote
BigDaDDY wrote:

snip
So after all the posts, not a single thing addressed my question. Thanks
for nothin'!

One does have to wonder when their cat obviously has a medical issue why
they run first to the newsgroups for answers instead of going to the
obvious place for this... the VET.

Joe, the guy went to the vet and didn't get anything from the visit that helped.
So naturally he was baffled. Happens to all of us, it seems to me.

Vets do misdiagnose. These misdiagnoses do come up here. (I write this not as an
indictment of vets. I was one of the faction that did not want any action taken
against a certain vet who recently did not meet the standards of many people
here.. )

Sometimes people on the newsgroup do have more experience than certain vets.
Besides, at the newsgroup, posters have all the time in the world to relate a
cat's symptoms. A vet has a few minutes to look at a cat and listen to a
description of symptoms.

BigDaddy, for what it's worth, I found nothing wrong and everything right in
your initial post, which explicitly and merely asked if anyone else had seen
certain symptoms in their own cats. I know money is often a concern that affects
most everyone's pet (and children, and parent) decisions, so I don't blame
anyone for trying to be cost-effective, within reason (which is pretty
subjective!).

My cat has never had all the symptoms you describe. He did go through a period
of vomiting and having some litter box changes last year (but nothing as serious
as your cat's), and I (not the darn vet to whom I took him!) found all he needed
was some petroleum jelly-based hairball remedy. I don't fault the vet, per se. I
do fault any vet who doesn't acknowledge they often can't be sure what's wrong
with a cat, so continue troubleshooting.

Your cat sounds very sick. I hope you find the problem, one way or another, and
that Sammy is better soon. I for one would welcome an update. I'm sure it will
help others here in the future.

Good luck to your cat, your fiancé, and you,

Old February 11th 04, 09:47 PM
BigDaDDY

Joe Canuck wrote:

BigDaDDY wrote:

Ya know, If I wanted to be judged, I would have entered a popularity
contest. Perhaps you people could stick to answering the posts and keep
your judgements to yourselves, since you probably don't know the entire
story.

You could always explain the entire story.

If you really want to know, there are probably very few people in the
world
that love cats more than my fiance. She was crying last night because
she
was worried about her cat. I told her I would post on here to see if
someone knew what may be the problem. If you people are that dumb to
think we aren't going to go for a second opinion, then I guess I thought
the intellect on this board was a little higher. The post was simply a
means to perhaps comfort her by possibly knowing what may be wrong, not
as a substitute for a second opinion.

So after all the posts, not a single thing addressed my question. Thanks
for nothin'!

One does have to wonder when their cat obviously has a medical issue why
they run first to the newsgroups for answers instead of going to the
obvious place for this... the VET.

Yeah, once again, superior intellect on your part...NOT!! Excuse the ****
out of me for trying to take advantage of all the resources available to
me. I'm sure whenever we find out what the cats problem is, that our cat
is not the only cat in the world that has experienced it. Consequently,
maybe if someone on this group had a cat with the same symptoms, they could
tell us what the problem was. The newsgroup post was simply to find out
what the problem was. Not a substitute for a second vet appointment.
Besides, if you looked at my original post, it was at 1AM and we weren't
going to go to the vet at 1AM. Instead of knocking someone for trying to
use all available resources, maybe you should commend them for going above
and beyond to try to understand what the problem may be and perhaps
research that problem to find ways to prevent future occurances. A vet can
fix things, but only the owner can provide an environment that is less
likely to create future problems. So to you I say...BITE ME!

Old February 11th 04, 09:47 PM
BigDaDDY

Mary wrote:

"BigDaDDY" wrote in message
Ya know, If I wanted to be judged, I would have entered a popularity
contest. Perhaps you people could stick to answering the posts and

keep
your judgements to yourselves, since you probably don't know the

entire
story.

Perhaps you could take your cat to the vet before she dies.

Perhaps you could kiss my ass!

Old February 11th 04, 10:06 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"BigDaDDY" wrote in message
[...]

I just posted a reply, then read the other replies. People here often can't
diagnose a problem when the symptoms don't very obviously point to a problem
that is relatively common. (For ex., if the cat's symptom was losing weight
yet eating voraciously, then hyperthyroidism would be a good guess.) The
replies I read said that they didn't know what it was, but that the cat
needs to go back to the vet, & perhaps a different vet from the first. I
don't see what's wrong w/ that advice; it's perfectly sound. How can we
possibly read your mind - that you were already going to get a second
opinion, if you didn't *state* that??!

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old February 11th 04, 10:08 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"BigDaDDY" wrote in message
Mary wrote:

"BigDaDDY" wrote in message
Ya know, If I wanted to be judged, I would have entered a popularity
contest. Perhaps you people could stick to answering the posts and

keep
your judgements to yourselves, since you probably don't know the

entire
story.

Perhaps you could take your cat to the vet before she dies.

Perhaps you could kiss my ass!

Do you want advice, or are you just here to p*ss people off?! This cat
_really_ does need to see a (competent) vet, immediately.

Old February 12th 04, 01:43 AM
Joe Canuck

BigDaDDY wrote:

Joe Canuck wrote:

BigDaDDY wrote:

[...]

You won't get the help you want by being insulting.

You do want help don't you?

There are several knowledgable people here who can offer that, but
generally people are turned off by insulting comments.

Excuse the ****
out of me for trying to take advantage of all the resources available to
me. I'm sure whenever we find out what the cats problem is, that our cat
is not the only cat in the world that has experienced it. Consequently,
maybe if someone on this group had a cat with the same symptoms, they could
tell us what the problem was. The newsgroup post was simply to find out
what the problem was. Not a substitute for a second vet appointment.
Besides, if you looked at my original post, it was at 1AM and we weren't
going to go to the vet at 1AM.

If the animal is in serious need of medical attention then going to the
vet at 1AM is most definitely advisable.

Many clinics offer emergency after hours vet services.

Instead of knocking someone for trying to
use all available resources,

That is just it, you did NOT use all available resources.

maybe you should commend them for going above
and beyond to try to understand what the problem may be and perhaps
research that problem to find ways to prevent future occurances. A vet can
fix things, but only the owner can provide an environment that is less
likely to create future problems. So to you I say...BITE ME!

The bottom line here is that consulting a newsgroup for an obvious sick
animal is very poor substitute for going to the vet.

I noticed shortly after your post about your cat, your concern shifted
rather quickly to your garage floor with your post in alt.home.repair

Some of that cash going into fixing up your unfinished garage in that
home you just bought should be directed to the medical needs to your pet
cat. It isn't a matter of not enough cash, it is a matter of correct
allocation of the funds.

You need to work on your priorities.

Have a nice day.

--