Icarus & UTI

Old January 25th 05, 01:48 AM
Cat Protector

My cats get both canned and dry food and they get plenty of both. I hate
these debates because with some you are damned if you do and damned if you
don't. My cats are healthy with exception of this UTI with Icarus.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Rene S." wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry, CP, but I have to agree with Lauren and Cathy and suggest that a
canned-only diet would be much healthier for your cats, and will
probably be _less expensive_ than buying all 3 prescription food.

I thought my (now previous) vet was one of the "good" ones too. Turns
out she was a decent vet, but was very weak in the area of cat
nutrition. If you've read any of my posts Tucker's weight loss, the
previous vet was very against canned food for weight loss. I did a lot
of online reading, emailing and talking with people, and decided to go
"against" the vet's word (and things are working out great!)

I'm not going to get into the "canned vs. dry" debate. I'm only
suggesting that, when it comes to food choices/types, it's not wise to
just accept what your vet may say as the final word. If I had done
that, one of my cats would *still* be gaining weight.

Old January 25th 05, 02:29 AM
PawsForThought

Sherry wrote:
I think there's a huge mark-up on animal meds. My cat was sent

home with a pain
reliever after surgery, and the vet charged $20 for one pill. He

said, "It's
optional. You don't have to buy it." But, come on. That's sort of

emotional
blackmail. He knew I wasn't about to let the cat suffer just because

I didn't
want to pay for the pill. Human pain reliever narcotics are cheap. At

least the
old-fashioned ones. You'd think the animal equivalent would also be.

Sherry

$20 dollars for one pill??!!! That's absolutely insane! Yeah, sure
sounds like your vet was practicing emotional blackmail alright, Sherry
I've heard that if vets prescribe something, you can ask them if
it's available at a human pharmacy and then ask for a written
prescription. Don't know how willing vets would be to do that though.
We have Meesha on a natural cortisone that she takes off and on for her
asthma. It's formulated at a pet pharmacy in another state and then
sent to my vet. It costs about $30 but that's for a lot of doses.
Lauren

Old January 25th 05, 03:07 AM
PawsForThought

Rene S. wrote:
Sorry, CP, but I have to agree with Lauren and Cathy and suggest that

canned-only diet would be much healthier for your cats, and will
probably be _less expensive_ than buying all 3 prescription food.

I can't remember who it was, but I thought I read a post from someone
who switched their cat who was having urinary problems to Wellness
canned food and now the cat is doing great.

I thought my (now previous) vet was one of the "good" ones too. Turns
out she was a decent vet, but was very weak in the area of cat
nutrition. If you've read any of my posts Tucker's weight loss,

the
previous vet was very against canned food for weight loss. I did a

lot
of online reading, emailing and talking with people, and decided to

go
"against" the vet's word (and things are working out great!)

I give you a lot of credit, Rene, for doing your research. I'm glad to
hear it's paid off for you and Tucker. Unfortunately, in my
experience, most vets really don't know too much about feline
nutrition, and what they know, they've learned from pet food reps and
brochures that come across their desk.

Lauren (who's trying out google groups but really needs a good
newsreader)

Old January 25th 05, 03:28 PM
Rene S.

I give you a lot of credit, Rene, for doing your research. I'm glad to
hear it's paid off for you and Tucker. Unfortunately, in my
experience, most vets really don't know too much about feline
nutrition, and what they know, they've learned from pet food reps and
brochures that come across their desk.

Lauren (who's trying out google groups but really needs a good
newsreader)

I agree with you, Lauren! My old vet just seemed to know about the
foods on her shelf, and nothing else. I'd ask questions about how much
to feed, only to be told to "read the bag." (Like I couldn't figure
that out!) I'm thankful we have places like this n/g. It's connected me
with a number of knowledgeable folks and I've learned so much.
Rene (I know what you mean about google groups!!)

Old January 25th 05, 08:46 PM
ceb

"PawsForThought" wrote in
oups.com:

Lauren (who's trying out google groups but really needs a good
newsreader)

Might I suggest xnews? It was recommended to me over on the dogs
newsgroups, and I have been using it ever since, and it's great and it's
freeeeeeee. Here's the website:

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

--Catherine
& Rosalie the calico, who has a new dog at her house and IS NOT HAPPY
Old January 26th 05, 01:03 AM
Jean B.

"Rene S." wrote:

I give you a lot of credit, Rene, for doing your research. I'm glad to
hear it's paid off for you and Tucker. Unfortunately, in my
experience, most vets really don't know too much about feline
nutrition, and what they know, they've learned from pet food reps and
brochures that come across their desk.

Lauren (who's trying out google groups but really needs a good
newsreader)

I agree with you, Lauren! My old vet just seemed to know about the
foods on her shelf, and nothing else. I'd ask questions about how much
to feed, only to be told to "read the bag." (Like I couldn't figure
that out!) I'm thankful we have places like this n/g. It's connected me
with a number of knowledgeable folks and I've learned so much.
Rene (I know what you mean about google groups!!)

That is what I'm really afraid of. We see what has gone on in the
human drug etc. industry, how ignorant human dieticians can be,
how little human doctors know about nutrition (unless they have
some interest beyond what they were taught in med school).....
While I will segue Mingy into the suggested food, my first concern
is getting him to eat and drink, and then I have to do my
homework. (I have started, but my daughter keeps stealing the
computer.)
--
Jean B.