Susan Boyle has been admitted to a clinic

Old June 2nd 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Native

Default Susan Boyle has been admitted to a clinic

"Cheryl" wrote in message
D Mahoney wrote:
I don't understand why any decent person, who doesn't harm anyone,
should ever get negative media attention - regardless of appearance,
intelligence, or any other noteworthy features or talents. The kind
of cruelty she's had to endure is inexcusable. If her singing were
less impressive, that wouldn't have made it more excusable.

Unfortunately society as a whole is deplorably insensitive and cruel. It
seems that as time goes on our society becomes less and less civil.
"Common sense" and "common courtesy" are both very UNCOMMON commodities.
The more I see of society, the more I appreciate my cats.

Dan

Society is simply humans. Human nature has some rather nasty aspects that
we have to be trained out of. Some societies develop rules of behaviour or
moral codes that strongly repress the innate tendency of humans to
emphasize how much they're part of their group, or that they're 'normal",
by attacking anyone who is different, unusual, weak, or in some other way
'not one of us'.

Our society seems to be moving more and more away from even trying to
treat everyone as a human being; from even arguing or teaching that people
should do so. Look at the popularity of a lot of the reality shows which,
from the little I've seen, are actually designed to encourage people to
mock and abuse others.

It's not in the least surprising that Susan Boyle was treated the way she
was. Everyone who buys the papers and watch the shows that set people up
to be publicly humiliated after luring them in with promises of fame and
fortune participates in a system that's bound to hurt people.

Cheryl

You can thank the progressives, and their *no values - no morals* agenda
being pushed on kids starting in grade school...

Old June 2nd 09, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
To recover from exhaustion. Read -too much negative media
attention.
It saddens me.
IMO it should all be positive. Here is a person who has some degree
of learning difficulty, I cannot deny that. She is not
conventionally beautiful, I cannot deny that either. But by god she
can sing.

Tweed

It is probably one of the best things that could happen to her right
now. I doubt she would handle the rigors of a 'victory tour' schedule
well. May she get they time and the peace to grow into her fame or
even to reject it outright if that is her wish. May it be a pleasure
and a blessing to her.

Jo

Old June 2nd 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I bet 90 per cent of it is from women. Even in from frog hop community, the
comments were terrible. I just hope she has the strength to last them out.
Janis Joplin survived in spite of people not because of them so I hope Susan
can too.
"Will in New Haven" wrote in message
On Jun 1, 8:18 pm, D Mahoney wrote:
I don't understand why any decent person, who doesn't harm anyone,
should ever get negative media attention - regardless of appearance,
intelligence, or any other noteworthy features or talents. The kind
of cruelty she's had to endure is inexcusable. If her singing were
less impressive, that wouldn't have made it more excusable.

Unfortunately society as a whole is deplorably insensitive and cruel. It
seems that as time goes on our society becomes less and less civil.
"Common sense" and "common courtesy" are both very UNCOMMON commodities.
The more I see of society, the more I appreciate my cats.

I think the impression that things are getting worse in this respect
is quite wrong. I am not excusing the treatment this wonderful and
talented singer got from some quarters but this isn't new. Janis
Joplin was the victim of a huge amount of unkindness from people all
over the world, especially from the people in her home town. And Janis
was, in my certainly fallible opinion, an even greater talent.

I think that the media may actually _be_ worse today in this respect
but huge segments of society as a whole had no interest in seeing a
woman who was not conventionaly attractive back then. And some of the
worst of the abuse came from women.

--
Will in New Haven

Old June 2nd 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:

Society is simply humans. Human nature has some rather nasty aspects
that we have to be trained out of. Some societies develop rules of
behaviour or moral codes that strongly repress the innate tendency of
humans to emphasize how much they're part of their group, or that
they're 'normal", by attacking anyone who is different, unusual, weak,
or in some other way 'not one of us'.

Society sometimes operates to train people out of their more unsociable
instincts. But just as often, it can exploit those instincts. We all
have fears of people who are different from us. But relatively powerless
groups of people within a society, who might actually have some power if
they worked together, instead waste their energy attacking each other.
This isn't lost on people who are in power and would prefer it to stay
that way. There are ways to fan the sparks of prejudice to provoke full
scale hostilities. I see it all the time.

In addition, I think we learn many of our prejudices *from* society.
Not always in a deliberate way as I described in the last paragraph, but
people just pass on their ideas to the next generation. It's certainly
just as possible to teach kids not to be disrespectful of others who are
different - I've seen that, too.

Our society seems to be moving more and more away from even trying to
treat everyone as a human being; from even arguing or teaching that
people should do so. Look at the popularity of a lot of the reality
shows which, from the little I've seen, are actually designed to
encourage people to mock and abuse others.

Agreed. I don't chalk that up purely to instincts. You can start with
an instinct (say, to be suspicious of someone who doesn't appear to
belong to the group), but social attitudes amplify negative responses
over time, until they become the *cause* of those behaviors, rather
than merely a reflection of human nature.

It's not in the least surprising that Susan Boyle was treated the way
she was. Everyone who buys the papers and watch the shows that set
people up to be publicly humiliated after luring them in with promises
of fame and fortune participates in a system that's bound to hurt people.

Good point. Look at what the show is like to begin with - it's all
about cruelty to vulnerable people.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 2nd 09, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Native wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message

It's not in the least surprising that Susan Boyle was treated the way she
was. Everyone who buys the papers and watch the shows that set people up
to be publicly humiliated after luring them in with promises of fame and
fortune participates in a system that's bound to hurt people.

You can thank the progressives... [snip]

I'm hungry - anyone got recipes?

--
Joyce ^..^

Old June 2nd 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"outsider" wrote in message

Will in New Haven wrote in
:

[...]

Agreed about things have not changed in general and strongly agree
about Janice. I love the bus scene of her and Garcia in Festival
Express (I think it was those two). And if you want to talk about
one of the best voices ever Cass Eliot was right up there and she
suffered for her looks. Roy Orbison was overshadowed by the "pelvis
of elvis" but another "top 10" voice. This is not anything new. For
me, I could never understand why a singer's looks mattered.

Back when singers were simply singers, looks weren't such a big deal. Folks
didnt necessarily *watch* a singer, rather, they *listened*. The band and
the singer were often in the corner, and they were't *supposed* to be the
focal (ie visual) point of the room.

But now singers are supposed to be *entertainers* and a large part of that
entertainment is the visual component. Therfore 'entertainers' of the modern
world also have to give a good TV show and a 'spectacular' live performance.
The still need to be sexually attractive, they need to be able to act (at
least a little) they need to be able to dance (in general) they need to be
able to 'banter' with the audience and other members on stage and keep to
the script. To be a successful *entertainer* they need to give a good visual
performance as well as sound half decent ( I would argue that the visuals
are probably *more* important these days).

If Susan's management are smart, they'll distance her from TV and large
'entertainment centres' where a *show* is expected. If she does theatres and
smaller venues where its pretty much just her and whatever music is on
stage, and the audience is small and more intimate and she is not required
to act, dance, and keep to a script, i thinks she'll do OK. I also think
she'll do fantastically on CD sales & downloads and perhaps thats where
she'll excel the most. However, great 'entertainment spectaculars' I think
are out.

Bless her, I hope that whatever she does, she finds happiness.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old June 2nd 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

To recover from exhaustion.

To recover from trying to beat the **** out of somebody in a bar
brawl, as I read it.

Somebody with a room-temperature IQ and a hobby of singing MOR
schmaltz gets to do it on televised karaoke to help an opportunistic
arsehole boost his ratings and sell tabloids. Comes predictably
unstuck with the arsehole disclaiming responsibility. Schmaltz
industry rolls on regardless, tabloid industry doubtless has a long
queue of replacement stories ready to run tomorrow.

Am I supposed to give a ****?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old June 3rd 09, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
To recover from exhaustion.

To recover from trying to beat the **** out of somebody in a bar
brawl, as I read it.

Somebody with a room-temperature IQ and a hobby of singing MOR
schmaltz gets to do it on televised karaoke to help an opportunistic
arsehole boost his ratings and sell tabloids. Comes predictably
unstuck with the arsehole disclaiming responsibility. Schmaltz
industry rolls on regardless, tabloid industry doubtless has a long
queue of replacement stories ready to run tomorrow.

Am I supposed to give a ****?

You must think so. If you were really indifferent to everything from
Susan Boyle's intelligence and taste in music to those TV shows and
tabloids, you wouldn't get so angry about discussion of them. You
probably wouldn't even read those discussions - I don't bother reading
about things I don't care about or have any interest in.

Cheryl
Old June 3rd 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
To recover from exhaustion. Read -too much negative media attention.
It saddens me.
IMO it should all be positive. Here is a person who has some degree
of learning difficulty, I cannot deny that. She is not conventionally
beautiful, I cannot deny that either. But by god she can sing.

Tweed

I heard on the radio that she wanted to get home to be with her cat.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old June 4th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I hope the day will come when she can take her cat with her on tour and pay
people to take care of it!
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...