The Gift - TW

Old December 26th 05, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default The Gift - TW

Long ago in the deepest of winters all of the animals on Earth were
abuzz with the news. "HE IS BORN! HE IS BORN!" cried the snowy owl.

"Come one and all, rejoice!" roared the mighty lion. "Bring gifts to the
new King!" The forest grew bright with the din of excitement. Every
creature was running towards the star. The noise was so loud and joyful
that it traveled distant lands.

In a quiet glen, under a bramble bush, a small lonely dog raised his
head from his slumber and heard the sounds from afar. He raised his
little head and wondered. Slowly he raised his tired body and sniffed
the air. He knew something was amiss - but he knew not what.

A voice ever so sweet was singing in the distance, this he could hear.
The words were not at all clear, but the sound was of waterfalls, and
misty mornings and everything dear...

Eagerly he followed the sound and soon saw a star. It shone so brightly
his little eyes watered. What was this shiny thing that happily glowed?
What could be happening that would bring about such a lovely sight? His
little legs beat the path for many days. He became tired and hungry but
still he walked on. He had to follow the sound of that voice. The voice
that reminded him of warmer and kinder times. He had to follow the light
of the star. The star told him of happy things to come.

At last he came into a clearing and his eyes beheld a mystifying sight.
Animals were everywhere, and each had a precious gift. Some brought
shiny berries from the forest, some brought beautiful leaves, some
brought twigs from the rarest of trees and even some brought the most
precious wildflowers of the fields. They were laying these gifts at the
entrance of a stable.

Above the stable the light of the star twinkled more brightly than
before. He turned to the deer and asked: "What is all this? Where have I
come?"

"You have come to see the new King. He is Born. Where are your
gifts for the child?" asked the deer reproachfully.

"I have no gifts..I didn't know..." said the lonely little dog with his
head hung low.

The deer sneered and snubbed and quickly walked away as he tossed his
head indignantly. The little dog's body trembled all over, his little
tail flew between his little legs, and his little head hung lower than
ever. He was ashamed. And yet...he still wanted to get a little peek at
the New King.

Quietly, ever so carefully, he crept over to the stable. He
was so small he could easily hide under the other animals. Ever so
sleekly he crept up to the manger and peeked inside.

"WHO ARE YOU!" boomed the voice of the Lion. "WHY DO YOU DARE NOT BRING
GIFTS FOR THE NEW KING?"

The little dog cowered, much humbled. He laid his little head at the
foot of the manger and hid his eyes. He was ready to be killed by the
Lion, and yet he spoke ever so quietly, ever so meekly, ever so bravely:
"I have no gifts, I have no berries, or twigs, or bright flowers of the
field...all I have is my life and I will gladly give that, for I have
shamed all my brethren tonight.

He waited - with his eyes closed, thinking that if he did die tonight,
at least he would die beneath the cradle of his King. That's when a warm
and gentle hand was upon him. He did not dare to open his eyes, until he
heard a woman's voice speak:

"Do not fear little one. You are safe here. This bramble in your fur
speaks of the gift you have brought to him."

The lonely little dog opened his eyes and looked up at the woman. "But I
have no gift to offer, save for myself, and that is very little..."he
shyly protested.

The woman smiled and scratched his ears. "Little dog, you traveled far
to see the King..that is gift enough when it comes from your heart. What
gift is more precious than one given in innocence and humility? No
little one, you are welcome here." As she spoke she raised the little
dog up.

"Behold, your King, the Son of Man. You shall serve him well."

And the baby smiled. So it came to pass and dog was lonely no more. And
dog has served man ever since, loyal to a fault, and humble he remains.

A gift from God to us, for who, but dog will travel miles without
explanation?

Who, but dog will cower from you even if he is not wrong?

Who, but dog will take a scolding even when he is not to blame?

Who, but dog is content to die at our feet if he so must?

Let us care for it well.

I want to wish all my friends far and near a very Merry Christmas!!!

Author unknown
Old December 27th 05, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Dave Gerecke" wrote in message
m.au...
Long ago in the deepest of winters all of the animals on Earth were
abuzz with the news. "HE IS BORN! HE IS BORN!" cried the snowy owl.

And now how do I read the rest of the group with my eyes all teared up?

Must go hug the puppy.

Jo

Old December 27th 05, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Beautiful, Dave! Thanks!

--
Joy (trying to see the screen through the tears)

**Don't believe everything you think**

Old December 29th 05, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

where's the tissue?

--
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO LOVE CATS,FOR THEY SHALL NEVER BE LONELY
[...]

The Gift C&C!!! You are warned Dave Gerecke Cat anecdotes 15 November 9th 05 08:32 PM
Kittycat gift shop in my house Candace Cat health & behaviour 25 July 7th 05 04:05 AM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
Holly's gift MaryL Cat anecdotes 4 October 24th 03 07:01 AM
Holly's gift MaryL Cat anecdotes 1 October 20th 03 02:47 PM