[OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

Old January 31st 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Age Appropriate Dress?

On 2006-01-28, jmcquown penned:
Victor Martinez wrote:

Wow... my employer is very, very relaxed regarding dress code. Many
folks wear shorts, t-shirts and sandals to work. I'm talking
engineers here, so it's not a pretty sight... ;-) Most people wear
jeans/slacks and button-down shirts though. I'd never wear a
t-shirt or shorts to work.

People were allowed to wear T-shirts (tucked in) if they didn't
sport a logo advertising some product or with anything that might be
construed as "offensive" on it. This basically meant, plain
T-shirts (and not the underwear ones). No sandals were allowed; no
shorts. We didn't meet & greet the public in I.T. but they still
expected people to not dress as if they were about to run to the
convenience store for a 6-pack of Budweiser I can completely
understand that.

Geez. I'm glad I've never worked at a place with much in the way of
clothing rules. I wear sandals, or shorts, or I dress up, or I don't,
or I wear t-shirts with logos, untucked ...

You're lucky. Beware if you change jobs; you might be in for dress-code
shock. I've *never* worked anywhere I could wear shorts.

Jill

Heh. I worked for a fundamentalist publisher, who required *all* the
women wear dresses. The really crazy thing was, his wife worked there
too, and wore *extremely* short dresses. He didn't care how short they
wore. I always thought that was nuts.

Sherry

Old January 31st 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

It's usually given as a range to accomodate bone structure.

And percent body fat.

Since bones
weigh quite a lot, if you have large bones you have to count that in your
weight estimates. If, like me, you have *really* tiny bones, then more of
your weight will be fat. There's also different weights given for men (who
tend to have more muscle mass which weighs more than fat).

As Fil noted, some people at 5'5" look anorexic when they get below 140,
some, like me, still look pudgy around the waist and upper arms at 125.
--

Hugs,

CatNipped

I was extremely lean at 5'4" and 138lbs - I wore a size 4. Most people
thought I weighed about 115 and were *shocked* to find out how much I
weighed. I also have a large bone structure - I think my wrist at that
time was 7 inches or something bizarre like that. I wear a size 8 ring
even when thin. I am heavier (and older, LOL) now and people still
guess my weight at 30 or 40 lbs less than it actually is.

IMO, the charts are all a bit on the light side. Most people at 5'4"
or 5'5" and 125 are thin - wear like a US size 6 or smaller, and most
have to fight to stay that size and that weight (except for the few
blessed with such genetics - many SE asians, particularly). IMO,
that's not healthy - I'd like to see someone at that height be more
like an 8 and be comfotable with it.

But I am a supporter of women breaking the false expectations that
society puts on us. There is so much pressure from the media for women
(not men, mind you) to be waif-thin and look like a model. I commend
companies like Dove who show real women with real body images and
celebrate them: http://www.dove.us/real_beauty/ It is *past* time
that women fight back! Start a revolution: Stop Hating Your Body. Be
comfortable in the skin you are in and you will liberate yourself.
There is no reason anyone needs to feel inadequate about the way they
look. We are sending messages to young girls that they must change
their inate body structure to fit societal "norms" of "thiness" and
"beauty". This is extremely frightening to me! These are the kind of
messages which make 11 year old girls anorexic and make African
American teens seek plastic surgery to remove their "ethnic" features.
There is something *terribly* wrong with all of this, and it is up to
us women to stop it here and now, before it affects future generations.

-L.

Old January 31st 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

.. She wore
leather. Looooong black gothic-y skirts. Mini-skirts. Lots of
eye-make-up, and peroxide blonde hair. Her theory was that although she
was a doctor, she was determined not to conform to stereotypes. She'd
dressed like this as a student, and she wasn't about to give it up now!
--

I knew a consultant histopathologist who was a total goth complete with
black hair and white make-up and used to decorate her office with webs

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old January 31st 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

DH *loves* big women - had it not been for my health I would never had
bothered to have the GB surgery. But my blood pressure was through the roof
and all my blood work results were in the red - the doctor told me I'd have
a heart attack or stroke within 5 years if I didn't lose weight. Since I've
lost the weight I've been disgustingly healthy and DH has learned to live
with less of me! ;

I commend
companies like Dove who show real women with real body images and
celebrate them: http://www.dove.us/real_beauty/ It is *past* time
that women fight back! Start a revolution: Stop Hating Your Body.

I love that too.

I wonder when people will realize that some people are just born to be big.
My mom tells me I look just like my grandmother who was also always a big
woman. All of my life, no matter how hard I dieted and exercised, my body
just didn't want to let go of the weight until the surgery forced it to.
And I'll still always be a bit overweight and have to watch what I eat (the
surgery will only take off 80% of the *excess* weight and will only do so
for the first five years post surgery - the rest of the weight, and keeping
it off (dieting and exercising), is totally up to the patient.

Be
comfortable in the skin you are in and you will liberate yourself.
There is no reason anyone needs to feel inadequate about the way they
look. We are sending messages to young girls that they must change
their inate body structure to fit societal "norms" of "thiness" and
"beauty". This is extremely frightening to me! These are the kind of
messages which make 11 year old girls anorexic and make African
American teens seek plastic surgery to remove their "ethnic" features.

I agree totally! I get *SO* ****ed off when my SIL calls my youngest
granddaughter "porker" - she is *NOT* overweight by even an ounce
(http://www.possibleplaces.com/Raven/), she's just not as thin as her
sisters are. But he *has* made her extremely conscious of her weight and
what she eats and she's only *7 years old*!!!

There is something *terribly* wrong with all of this, and it is up to
us women to stop it here and now, before it affects future generations.

Again, I totally agree!

Hugs,

CatNipped

-L.

Old January 31st 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
I wonder when people will realize that some people are just born to be big.

Indeed. Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast: small glass grapefruit juice, light yogurt smoothie, black coffee

Lunch: sandwich with a small fruit salad, iced green tea, soy yogurt for
dessert

Snack: handful of roasted nuts

Workout: 1.5 hrs of yoga

Dinner: 1 soy yogurt, 2-3 clementines (those little tangerines), handful
of nuts

With that diet, you'd think I'd have a perfect weight, well I do not! My
stupid metabolism is just too darned slow.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 31st 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
I wonder when people will realize that some people are just born to be
big.

Indeed. Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast: small glass grapefruit juice, light yogurt smoothie, black
coffee

Lunch: sandwich with a small fruit salad, iced green tea, soy yogurt for
dessert

Snack: handful of roasted nuts

Workout: 1.5 hrs of yoga

Dinner: 1 soy yogurt, 2-3 clementines (those little tangerines), handful
of nuts

With that diet, you'd think I'd have a perfect weight, well I do not! My
stupid metabolism is just too darned slow.

I know, and it makes me crazy when people sneer and say things like, "You
want to lose weight, stop shoving food in your mouth!" - when, if they would
eat the exact same diet, they'd be screaming that they're being starved!
Overweight is the last societally accepted prejudice. People believe, and
*ACT* on those beliefs, that overweight people are sloppy, greedy, lazy, and
stupid - no matter *how* much evidence they're shown to the contrary.

And, BTW Victor, I've seen you in person and I think you're perfect as is!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

Old January 31st 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
I know, and it makes me crazy when people sneer and say things like, "You
want to lose weight, stop shoving food in your mouth!" - when, if they would

While it's true that a lot of overweight people overeat, many of us do
not! I don't ever eat processed foods, the most processed stuff I eat is
yogurt.

And, BTW Victor, I've seen you in person and I think you're perfect as is!

Thank you sweetie. You need to call my mom and Tom and tell them that... ;-)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 31st 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

!
Overweight is the last societally accepted prejudice. People believe, and
*ACT* on those beliefs, that overweight people are sloppy, greedy, lazy, and
stupid

Tell me about it. A year ago or so I had just got off the train and was
throwing a drink can in the bin when this guy said "Excuse me?"

"Yes?"

"That should be a diet drink you fat f**king c**t!!!"

I replied "I can diet. You'll still be rude"

I've also had a guy offer to take me round the back and have sex with
me and when I yold him where to get off, he said "It's the only offer
an ugly fat b**ch like you is going to get"

Despite being ample (VERY) I have an active social life (The root of my
problems: "I only drink socially". I'm just too damn sociable), lots of
friends as well as a partner who has no complaints, do work out (3-4
times a week I slam on a CD and give myself 20+ minutes of hard work),
walk further than a lot of slimmer people, eat plenty of fruit and veg
(okay mostly veg), can still bend down and touch my toes (aged 48) and
hold down a job that has been known to require me to think (and have
previously had jobs that really did require me to think!) and do Open
University study (Through I'm not doing it this year I need a vacation)

And I also have Fabulous Furballs

Old January 31st 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-01-31, Victor Martinez penned:
CatNipped wrote:
I wonder when people will realize that some people are just born to
be big.

Indeed. Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast: small glass grapefruit juice, light yogurt smoothie,
black coffee

Lunch: sandwich with a small fruit salad, iced green tea, soy yogurt
for dessert

Snack: handful of roasted nuts

Workout: 1.5 hrs of yoga

Dinner: 1 soy yogurt, 2-3 clementines (those little tangerines),
handful of nuts

With that diet, you'd think I'd have a perfect weight, well I do
not! My stupid metabolism is just too darned slow.

Not that I'm a great example of a healthy eater or anything, but
you might actually look at eating MORE for breakfast. A large
breakfast gets your metabolism going. The figure that sticks in
my head is 600 calories, but regardless, even the sample meals
that she gave me for 1500 and 1800 calories have a much larger
breakfast than what you describe.

In fact, have you talked to a nutritionist? Without actaully
doing the math, your meals sound awfully small, especially with
1.5 hours of yoga.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old January 31st 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
Not that I'm a great example of a healthy eater or anything, but
you might actually look at eating MORE for breakfast. A large

I used to eat a larger breakfast, a large bowl of cereal with 1% milk
and granola. I'm trying the yogurt smoothie thing for a while.

In fact, have you talked to a nutritionist? Without actaully
doing the math, your meals sound awfully small, especially with
1.5 hours of yoga.

Which is why I'd think I'd be losing weight! But I'm not!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

[OT] Most bizzarre thing you've seen Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 December 22nd 05 07:24 PM
[OT] A Generic Greeting [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 December 21st 05 09:27 AM
[OT] Why we love children - humor CatNipped Cat anecdotes 9 November 28th 05 03:27 AM
the dress Miss Violette Cat community 29 October 3rd 04 08:29 AM
[OT] Yowlet Update 4/4/4 20:30 Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 April 5th 04 11:49 PM