[OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

Old January 28th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Helen Wheels wrote:
What, not even muumuus? Aw...

Well, maybe some kinds of dresses are ok:
http://www.utilikilts.com/

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

LOL! I think a man with good legs looks great in real kilts.

Joy

Old January 28th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
What do you guys think? Should you not wear a mini skirt - even if you

have
killer legs - past a certain age?

Two words: Tina Turner.

Seriously, I think people should take into consideration the following
when choosing atti
1. Personal taste and comfort
2. Weather
3. Social situation
4. What other people think

1 trumps 2, 2 trumps 3, 3 trumps 4, etc.
I was really ****ed off when I learned two of my siblings were giving my
mom a hard time regarding her attire at formal events. My mother dresses
up very nicely and tastefully. I don't care what her age is, she looks
great and it's perfectly ok for her to wear a dress with a normal
cleavage and a skirt that reaches to her knees. Just because she's a
grandma, doesn't mean she has to wear boring clothes.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

I assume you let your siblings, and especially your mother, know how you
felt about that.

Joy

Old January 28th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Victor Martinez wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

No one says she has to wear boring clothes. I don't wear boring clothes
when I'm out. But just a couple of months ago my LLL asked (or rather,
stated), "You don't wear mini-skirts, do you?" Sure, I own a couple of
casual, have fun mini-skirts. As I previously mentioned, they aren't
crawling up my butt and skin-tight. The work we do setting up for his art
shows isn't conducive to mini-skirts, anyway. There's a lot of stretching
way up to join the canopy poles, crawling around to put the anchor stakes

in
the ground, bending over fastening the mesh sides to the canopy. I wear
walking shorts (not Daisy Dukes) & t-shirts. I did make a point to pack a
mini-skirt for our next trip for when we go out to dinner someplace

Jill

LOL! Good for you!

Joy

Old January 28th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yoj wrote:
I assume you let your siblings, and especially your mother, know how you
felt about that.

I told my mom and made comments about my mom's dress out loud during my
brother's wedding.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 28th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Age Appropriate Dress?

I love the fact that there is a choice. For decades, the fashion designers
seemed to rule the world. Certain styles just could not be worn, and skirt
lengths were dictated. Then, one year they blew it. In the same year, we
had maxi, midi and mini skirts and pantsuits. Women liked having a choice
and never completely allowed the designers to dictate to them again.

To be fair, a lot of people learn to dress from their parents and
friends.

This is difficult when your parents and friends are in a very different
line of work than your own.

For example, poor Dylan.

His dad's a bus driver and self-employed editor. His mom works in a
restaurant. His brother works in a call centre. His friends hold
blue-collar jobs like graphic designer, portrait framer, security
guard.

Where was he supposed to learn how to dress "like a doctor?"

He was actually grateful that my mom, as a professional educator, knew
where to take him and what to suggest to him, so he was able to put
together some sharp-looking professional outfits and a dressy suit.

***

Frankly I liked being in the military. They hand you four complete
outfits--flight suit, work dress, dress uniform and mess kit--and
specify which you are to wear to what event on what day.

--Fil

Old January 28th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yoj wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Yoj wrote:
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Well, I think nobody should wear dresses. ;-)

--
Victor M. Martinez

I almost never do. The one exception is for some Toastmasters
speech contests. In one District there is a man who has a lot of
influence. He feels that women should always wear dresses or skirts
and men
should wear skirts and ties. He has enough influence that not
dressing as he considers appropriate can actually hurt your chances
of winning. When I compete in his District, I wear a dress.
Otherwise it's jeans for everyday and slacks for dressup.

Joy

I'm much more comfortable in dresses, as a rule. At my last job the
dress was "business casual" so most women came to work in slacks. I
chose to wear dresses and skirts. I just feel less restricted in
them.

Jill

I love the fact that there is a choice. For decades, the fashion
designers seemed to rule the world. Certain styles just could not be
worn, and skirt lengths were dictated. Then, one year they blew it.
In the same year, we had maxi, midi and mini skirts and pantsuits.
Women liked having a choice and never completely allowed the
designers to dictate to them again.

I think it's great that those who prefer skirts can wear them, in the
length they wish, and those who find trousers more comfortable can
wear them.

Joy

I remember back in the 1960's being allowed to wear slacks/trousers to
school for the first time. Before that, girls could only wear dresses or
skirts with blouses. It didn't matter how freezing cold it was outside
waiting for the bus to school. Funny thing is, this harkened to my
elementary school days when I lived in Bangkok and no one would have
*wanted* to wear long pants, not even in the winter! They did allow
(tasteful) shorts in school because it was *very* hot and humid 75% of the
year.

Jill

Old January 28th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I'm watching "The View" and one of their "hot topics" was whether women
should stop wearing certain types of clothing as they get older (the
example used was women who were over 40 shouldn't wear "Juicies" work-out
clothes.

You'll have to clue me in on this. I don't know what "Juicies" are.

Someone said that *nobody* should wear sleeveless blouses or dresses if
they have flabby upper arms

That's ridiculous.

(here in Houston where it sometimes gets to be 115F with 2000% humidity
this flabby-upper-armed MaMere *really* objects to that objection!).

Wear what is comfortable.

What do you guys think? Should you not wear a mini skirt - even if you
have killer legs - past a certain age?

Hmmm. Yes, I think there is such a thing as age appropriate clothing and
mini skirts are best suited to teens and twenties (in most cases.) IMHO.
It depends on what impression you want to make, I suppose.

Tweed

Old January 29th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

I do think people should dress for their body-type, as well. I can't stand
seeing a 250 pound woman squeezed into something made with lycra so all you
see are bulges and bumps. Wear a short skirt or dress if you wish, but make
sure it *fits*. Buying a tight stretchy dress isn't going to make you any
smaller.

I've always been a "big girl" (but not fat - at least not
when I was younger). Because of the difficulty in finding
what I wanted in stores, I've always bought a lot of my
clothes from catalogs. I notice (with some dismay) that one
of the "large woman" catalogs includes shiny red leather
pants suits among its offerings. They'd look great on any
young, firmly built, proportionately tall woman up to about
a size fourteen. The notion of a size forty wearing such a
getup (in shiny red, yet) boggles the mind!

Old January 29th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Victor Martinez wrote:

I was really ****ed off when I learned two of my siblings were giving my
mom a hard time regarding her attire at formal events. My mother dresses
up very nicely and tastefully. I don't care what her age is, she looks
great and it's perfectly ok for her to wear a dress with a normal
cleavage and a skirt that reaches to her knees. Just because she's a
grandma, doesn't mean she has to wear boring clothes.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with wearing something
"stylish", so long as it suits you. (But I'll bet your Mom
wouldn't dream of going shopping wearing a bikinni top and
slacks that hang so low on the hips they look about to slip
down the rest of the way!) ;-)

Old January 29th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Because of the difficulty in finding
what I wanted in stores, I've always bought a lot of my clothes from
catalogs. I notice (with some dismay) that one of the "large woman"
catalogs includes shiny red leather pants suits among its offerings.
They'd look great on any young, firmly built, proportionately tall woman
up to about a size fourteen. The notion of a size forty wearing such a
getup (in shiny red, yet) boggles the mind!

Since you mention the "plus-size" catalogs: I'm pretty much
limited to LaneBryant stores here (not as "trendy" as Avenue,
sometimes downright stodgy clothes) but Avenue has NO
stores in this state and online is how you gotta get their
faddish stuff (I like). I was shocked to learn from LB's
website (they are owned by some Penn. clothing
conglomerate) that they have *no connection whatsoever*
with the LB catalog! Check it out for yourself...I will never
buy anything again from the LB catalog, and had noticed
over years that stuff from that catalog I'd ordered was
always of inferior quality.

[OT] Most bizzarre thing you've seen Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 December 22nd 05 07:24 PM
[OT] A Generic Greeting [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 December 21st 05 09:27 AM
[OT] Why we love children - humor CatNipped Cat anecdotes 9 November 28th 05 03:27 AM
the dress Miss Violette Cat community 29 October 3rd 04 08:29 AM
[OT] Yowlet Update 4/4/4 20:30 Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 April 5th 04 11:49 PM