Arthritis treatment

Old November 17th 03, 01:13 PM
Wendy

Default Arthritis treatment

We have a 16 year old cat with arthritis. When she went to the vet last
spring. He did a complete blood workup and x-rays. Her blood work came back
"very good for a cat her age". I think he said the x-ray showed her liver
was a little small but not beyond normal range. She has mild asthma. He
prescribed Prednisolone (5mg.) for the arthritis. He also told us we could
use it if her breathing was labored or she was doing open mouth breathing.
She had a pretty good summer and there were only a few occasions when she
seemed in distress and we gave her the Prednisolone. Now that the weather
has changed she is not a happy camper. She's very stiff. Add to that the
stress of losing her long time companion and having a new cat and kitten in
the house over the last 2-3 months. I hesitate to give her
gluco-corticosteroid too often because of the many side effects. I was
talking to someone over the weekend and they mentioned Syn-flex. It contains
liquid glucosamine sulfate and glucosamine HCL, chondroitin, omega 3 and 6,
boswellin, yucca, vitamins A, E, and C, manganese, and bromelain. Has anyone
heard whether this stuff works or is this veterinary snake oil? Any opinions
on long term gluco-corticosteroid use?

Wendy

Old November 17th 03, 02:33 PM
Karen

in article , Wendy at
wrote on 11/17/03 7:13 AM:

[...]

Your vet would have a high grade Glucos chondro supplement. We use Cosequin.
It seems very effective. You might get her a heat retaining bed too.

Karen

Old December 1st 03, 02:10 PM
Jeannie

Try feeding her a small amount of MSM Sulphur sprinkled on her dinner. My
Grandma had chronic arthritis which eased when a herbalist told her to take
this . If you click on the link below and go to the page called "MSM 2" you
will see a breakdown of the benefits in humans which, as far as I know all
also apply to animals (I don't have much time at the moment or I would have
found a site specifically about MSM and animals Sorry :-( ).

http://www.colloidalsilversupplies.co.uk

Jeannie

"Karen" wrote in message
in article , Wendy at

Old December 1st 03, 02:10 PM
Jeannie

Try feeding her a small amount of MSM Sulphur sprinkled on her dinner. My
Grandma had chronic arthritis which eased when a herbalist told her to take
this . If you click on the link below and go to the page called "MSM 2" you
will see a breakdown of the benefits in humans which, as far as I know all
also apply to animals (I don't have much time at the moment or I would have
found a site specifically about MSM and animals Sorry :-( ).

http://www.colloidalsilversupplies.co.uk

Jeannie

"Karen" wrote in message
in article , Wendy at