what material for climbing?

Old April 20th 05, 01:59 AM
bigbadbarry

Sounds like a grease mat, like you might find ina commercial kitchen

try your local restaurant supply vendor?

youi could cut it iup and put it to the 2 x 4's

try the door mat section at walmart...cuttem up

if your usin 2 x 4's, you could put a little pitch on them or at
stategic places to give a ledge

Old April 20th 05, 02:50 AM
John Doe

"bigbadbarry" wrote:

Sounds like a grease mat, like you might find ina commercial
kitchen try your local restaurant supply vendor?
youi could cut it iup and put it to the 2 x 4's
try the door mat section at walmart...cuttem up
if your usin 2 x 4's, you could put a little pitch on them or at
stategic places to give a ledge

Thanks for all the replies/ideas.
Old April 20th 05, 09:02 AM
Phil P.

"John Doe" wrote in message
There has to be some material cats can use for indoor climbing
besides carpet or Sissel rope.

Burlap. Cats *love* burlap - they get a great pull from it. I bought a
role from a farm supply house to wrap the support columns in my basement.
My cats dug right into the role and began climbing it before I had a chance
to unroll it.

You can make a floor-to-ceiling climbing pole by wrapping a 6", 8", or 10"
dia.x 8' long PVC pipe with burlap and plant it in large round decorative
lawn planter filled with concrete- won't tip or budge and it will last
forever. You can always just re-wrap the pole.

The higher you make the pole, the wider the pipe should be. If you want to
make it absolutely wobble and tip proof, fill the pipe with concrete or
gravel.

Tape the inside length of burlap to the pipe with gaffer's tape and wrap the
pole
tightly with several layers of burlap. Wrap the length of the end of the
burlap around a 1" molding and screw into or bolt it through the PVC with
1/8 or 1/4" carriage bolts with wide washers-- I don't like using staples or
adhesives on stuff my cats play on.

You can stagger shelves up the pole buy bolting decorative shelf brackets to
the PVC and screwing burlap-covered wood shelves to the brackets. You can
also make a high-level walkway with two poles and a 6' center PVC pipe.
Connect the center pipe at the tops of the poles with either PVC "T"
connectors or "elbows". Wrap the center span the same way as the poles.

The whole thing shouldn't cost you more than $100 unless you really splurge
on the planter bases and shelf brackets - I've seen some nice brass
brackets.

Phil

Old April 20th 05, 03:10 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-04-19, Steve G penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote: (...)

Oscar's never been a climber,

That's because he's never had a personal bouldering wall.

She =P

Material for climbing? https://www.epusa.com/handholds/, of course!

But the question is, can she put up with chalk on her paws?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 21st 05, 12:12 AM
Steve G

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
(...)

She =P

Never heard of a female Oscar!

But the question is, can she put up with chalk on her paws?

Yah, the problem with cats is: they'll latch a gnarly sloper, but then
they immediately start grooming and so peel off.

S.

Old May 3rd 05, 10:18 AM
John Doe

"Phil P." wrote:

Tape the inside length of burlap to the pipe with gaffer's tape
and wrap the pole
tightly with several layers of burlap. Wrap the length of the
end of the burlap around a 1" molding and screw into or bolt it
through the PVC with 1/8 or 1/4" carriage bolts with wide
washers-- I don't like using staples or adhesives on stuff my
cats play on.

I wonder if that could be done this way.

.... drill a lot of small holes in the PVC tubing

.... fix small nails/dowels/pegs into those holes

.... press the tarp/burlap/whatever material onto the holes

.... wrap it once and then press the material into the holes again

If the process of drilling the holes and inserting the pegs could
be methodized, it might provide for an easy way to replace the
material. Sort of like carpet tack-strip, except with dull pegs. I
am not sure how the material could be wrapped more than once before
reinserting it through the pegs. A somewhat stretchy, thick fabric
might be best.

Old May 4th 05, 09:39 AM
John Doe

Went to Lowe's today. The 10 ounce canvas dropcloth looks pretty
good, maybe hotmelt glued to a 2 x 4 or 4 inch PVC.

Old May 5th 05, 06:19 AM
bigbadbarry

Phil P. wrote:

You can make a floor-to-ceiling climbing pole by wrapping a 6", 8",

or 10"
dia.x 8' long PVC pipe with burlap and plant it in large round

decorative
lawn planter filled with concrete- won't tip or budge and it will

last
forever. You can always just re-wrap the pole.

Phil

Great idea, sounds like it would look good too. If someone were to do
this, they could tie into a ceiling joist or not.

I've sat and thought of neat things I would do if I had the time, like
make an over the door continous track (shelf) all around the house; it
could be made to look nice. Some resta-ront I went to had a train track
setup like this.

Old May 5th 05, 06:33 AM
John Doe

"bigbadbarry" wrote:

oh my lord

no... "our Lord"

You go all the way back to at least September 1993, and your name
is not Barry.